Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2024, 17:04   #1

Stuck joining sleeve on furlex 100s

Hi All,

I have been trying to disassembly my 100S furlex for too many weeks now to replace a broken tack ring. The forestay is off the boat, and I have followed the manual to remove the entire lower bearing assembly, however I get stuck on the step where I am supposed to grasp the Joining Sleeve with pliers (now exposed from removing the prefeeder) and tap it upward with a hammer into the luff extusion above, freeing up the spring in the lower bearing assembly.

The joining sleeve appears to be loose in the extrusion, but every time I tap with a hammer, it goes no where and I just rip up the joining sleeve from the teeth in the pliers. I have done everything I can think of, but they joining sleeve just wont move.

Wondering if anyone has had experience with this step and could provide tips. Much obliged.

Jeff
jbbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 17:24   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Stuck joining sleeve on furlex 100s

I used to have one of those on my Hunter H26.

The directions are confusing. You want to pull the insert out, not push it further up into the extrusion. That's why you're using the pliers rather than just banging on the end of it with a mallet.

If you're trying to pull it out but can't, try shooting some JB-80 up in there if you haven't.
Old 28-03-2024, 04:51   #3

Thanks - I don't think you can pull it out, as you can see the joint sleeve is definitely inside both extrusions. Here is the manual...

https://support.seldenmast.com/files.../595-102-E.pdf

check out section 4 and section 17. We're stuck on 17.5 step 4.

The current theory is there are distance tubes within the upper luff extension that is stopping the joint sleeve from moving upward. They must be really stuck though?

We tried McLube but should try a more penetrating lube like WD40 or JB80 (never heard of that actually).

Any other tips or advice is appreciated!
Old 28-03-2024, 11:12   #4

Boat: Tartan 3800

ok I see

Use penetrating oil. The McLube will only go where you put it. JB-80 is twice as good, says so right on the can so it must be true. Actually it does perform much better as a penetrating oil than WD-40. There are other good choices but WD-40 isn't one of them. Spray it into the foil any way you can, let it sit, do it again, repeat as often as you can stand it, bang on the wrench some more.

If that fails you can try gentle heat e.g. a heat gun on the outside of the foil.
Old 28-03-2024, 12:09   #5

OK - Ill report back after trying the oil.

I did forget to mention I tried heating it up last weekend to no avail.