Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2020, 08:22   #181

Boat: I have just purchased a 2009 49 Beneteau named Paradise II
Send a message via AIM to Big Moe Send a message via Yahoo to Big Moe
Re: Maryland Bans Recreational Boating for the Duration

Hi It’s Big Moe on Paradise II

This is indeed a mess. My wife is in panic about going to our boat from New Jersey. My youngest has lung issues and asthma so we are leaving our boat up on the hard. We just don't know where this virus is going and when it will end. I am a paper recycler that supplies tissue and toilet paper mills. With everything at a crawl I have no paper to make toilet paper with
Old 17-04-2020, 08:32   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Bob View Post
For those that haven't noticed, most of the state governors have been on a power trip and making things up as they go - based on models that have been blatantly wrong by huge factors. I keep waiting for common sense to break out but it may be long wait. One or two people enjoying fresh air and bright sunshine (proven anti-viral measures) are safer than huddling at home like the sheep the governor hopes for.

For those transiting the Chesapeake, Herrington Harbour North and South marinas are open, with limited services like fuel and store (South) and contractor maintenance (North) available. I have a short haul scheduled for next week. It will require transiting the three miles between Herrington South and North for an hour of power washing and changing anodes. If Maryland wants to invade my social distance to tell me that's recreation, so be it.

I've noticed enough opinions that convince me that the governors are right. If they don't spell it out, people won't get it. And some people won't get it even if they do. It's a numbers game. They really just need 8 out of 10 people to get it.

Luckily, enough people are getting it that the problem is mostly under control.
Old 17-04-2020, 08:34   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Moe View Post
Hi It’s Big Moe on Paradise II

This is indeed a mess. My wife is in panic about going to our boat from New Jersey. My youngest has lung issues and asthma so we are leaving our boat up on the hard. We just don't know where this virus is going and when it will end. I am a paper recycler that supplies tissue and toilet paper mills. With everything at a crawl I have no paper to make toilet paper with

If you're a paper recycler, is your paper mostly used for commercial toilet paper?

My understanding is that we've got plenty of that (it's a different product), and that part of the problem is that folks are staying home instead of going to work, so they're using the consumer-oriented product.
Old 17-04-2020, 09:06   #184

Any idea where I can get a cheaper slip or haul out near the Magothy ?
My boat is in the Magothy river.
Thank you
Old 17-04-2020, 09:12   #185

Boat: Dartsailer 27; 27' Dutch Motorsailer

As a live aboard in Georgia I don’t agree with that statement. Hurricane season is a very real fact of life for us south of Savannah. It needs to be taken into consideration is entirely probable that we will have to evacuate. That could be avoided by simply moving to the Chesapeake early. I’m a live aboard, and could do it myself if my engine wererunning. Nothing recreational about saving your life;-)

Bill Wilson
Old 17-04-2020, 09:16   #186

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I expect them to take the coronavirus more seriously than some are doing.
How do you arrive at a conclusion with no evidence and even less sense? Wow.
Old 17-04-2020, 09:31   #187

I had decided not to sail just to support those who don’t have that option, normally I would be out a couple of days each week.
Old 17-04-2020, 09:42   #188

That ban beyond mid June would be a real blow! I sincerely hope this is NOT coming to Long Island! I just spent ( alone and well distanced ) some 130 hours to install a new engine after my old Volvo blew last August. These visits to the boat were my sanity for the last weeks. And I almost always sail singlehanded. How would such a ban help reduce the rate of infection? EDUCATION is the role there and maybe some spot control by the coats guards and marine police...
Additionally, how many people does the marine industry employ? On Long Island, this is an important sector of the economy.
Old 17-04-2020, 09:45   #189

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcolesny View Post
That ban beyond mid June would be a real blow! I sincerely hope this is NOT coming to Long Island! I just spent ( alone and well distanced ) some 130 hours to install a new engine after my old Volvo blew last August. These visits to the boat were my sanity for the last weeks. And I almost always sail singlehanded. How would such a ban help reduce the rate of infection? EDUCATION is the role there and maybe some spot control by the coats guards and marine police...
Additionally, how many people does the marine industry employ? On Long Island, this is an important sector of the economy.

Assuming you're talking NY, I think you'll be in OK shape. Unless the guidance gets revised again, currently no marina can provide any services (fuel, launching, maintenance, etc.) to any recreational boat. That expires on May 15th. Based on the last statements from the governor, at that point some things should start to open back up based on risk. I'd expect that at least the basics of boating are considered low risk and boats will be able to launch, etc. As-is, you can use your boat in NY if it's in the water within the bounds of not being able to buy fuel or get any services.
Old 17-04-2020, 09:56   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVNightWatch View Post
As a live aboard in Georgia I don’t agree with that statement. Hurricane season is a very real fact of life for us south of Savannah. It needs to be taken into consideration is entirely probable that we will have to evacuate. That could be avoided by simply moving to the Chesapeake early. I’m a live aboard, and could do it myself if my engine wererunning. Nothing recreational about saving your life;-)
Hurricane season is, in fact, a reality of life. I don't blame people for wanting to move their boats around to avoid them. The point was that it's nothing that necessitates the breaking of the next two weeks of stay-at-home orders.

So how about we get through the current crisis before addressing the next one?
Old 17-04-2020, 10:00   #191

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
In a nutshell, although people could boat in a manner that is consistent with social distancing, they don't believe that we can (probably correctly) and thus have banned boating.
Closing the roads to non-essential travel and putting checkpoints between states/counties is needed before closing boating which is also important. Cars tend to travel much farther/faster and pose a greater risk for spreading the virus.

What they have done is generalize a specific type of boater which is unfair to the others and at the same time the real threat which is spreading the virus by road is not addressed.
Old 17-04-2020, 10:17   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipperart View Post
Any idea where I can get a cheaper slip or haul out near the Magothy ?
My boat is in the Magothy river.
Thank you
I don't know about cheap but I'm fairly certain Ferry Point is open and has both (the boatyard colocated with The Point crab house).
Old 17-04-2020, 10:30   #193

Boat: HOBIE 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
https://chesapeakebaymagazine.com/md-clarifies-no-recreational-boating-order/

In a nutshell, although people could boat in a manner that is consistent with social distancing, they don't believe that we can (probably correctly) and thus have banned boating. There are exceptions for food fishing and transportation, but they don't really apply to sailors. Live aboards are excluded.

Virginia has not followed suit yet. I suspect we will be seeing more of this in other states. So basically, a lost season.

It's a bummer for me, since I would have happily singlehanded all summer, or with family members, with zero risk of transmission. I suppose I could talk my way through some loophole, but is it worth the stress? No, boating should be relaxing.
In case nobody has been exploring news sources that aren't owned by Big Pharma, the whole pandemic thing is a farce.

The closing of parks, waterways and forests should have been your first clue. If you're relying on anything that Bill Gates has any affiliation with for your research, you will be deceived.

Switch your search engine to SwissCows or Duck Duck Go.

Your governor cannot make you stay home, it's unconstitutional. Unless you put more value on roll of toilet paper over the Constitution, get out there and enjoy the sunshine.

If Donald Trump doesn't get the country back to work again, his ratings are going to fall like a dress on prom night.
Old 17-04-2020, 10:36   #194

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Closing the roads to non-essential travel and putting checkpoints between states/counties is needed before closing boating which is also important. Cars tend to travel much farther/faster and pose a greater risk for spreading the virus.

What they have done is generalize a specific type of boater which is unfair to the others and at the same time the real threat which is spreading the virus by road is not addressed.
It's becoming more and more clear to me that this is NOT about the virus but about how far politicians can push restrictions on our lives, liberties and use of our own property. It's one thing to issue guidelines to abate the spread of the virus. It's quite another to dictate "lockdowns". And, of all activities in which people can distance themselves from others, boating, fishing, hiking, etc., overbearing politicians have deemed these forbidden?

At least one governor has taken it upon herself to rule that growing one's own food (buying seed) is "non-essential" - hence illegal. And, we have calls for even MORE restrictions and enforcement - by people with guns. Politicians are encouraging citizens to snitch on one another. Travel restrictions? Let's setup up guard stations where every road crosses a state line. "Comrade, your papers please."

And, there is overt scorn for those who suggest we not, "Give up essential liberties in return for temporary safety."

Read your history books, my friends. This is what a police state looks like.
Old 17-04-2020, 10:56   #195

Boat: HOBIE 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by I36guy View Post
It's becoming more and more clear to me that this is NOT about the virus but about how far politicians can push restrictions on our lives, liberties and use of our own property. It's one thing to issue guidelines to abate the spread of the virus. It's quite another to dictate "lockdowns". And, of all activities in which people can distance themselves from others, boating, fishing, hiking, etc., overbearing politicians have deemed these forbidden?

At least one governor has taken it upon herself to rule that growing one's own food (buying seed) is "non-essential" - hence illegal. And, we have calls for even MORE restrictions and enforcement - by people with guns. Politicians are encouraging citizens to snitch on one another. Travel restrictions? Let's setup up guard stations where every road crosses a state line. "Comrade, your papers please."

And, there is overt scorn for those who suggest we not, "Give up essential liberties in return for temporary safety."

Read your history books, my friends. This is what a police state looks like.
Bravo Brother; it's nice to not have to be the Lone Ranger all the time.

The regular seasonal flu killed 80,000 during the 2017 2018 season.

Why no police state style lockdown then?

I understand that people with comprised immune systems need to take precautions, but that is less than. 05% of the population.

Hardly worth shutting down the entire economy over.

Tags
boat, boating, Maryland