Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2020, 19:38   #211

Re: Maryland Bans Recreational Boating for the Duration

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
Per the Italian national health agency, 99% of all COvid19 deaths had complications. An acquaintance owns a funeral home and normally he does around 5 funerals a day. He said that now he is doing over 15, and they all have a common denominator. They are obese.

Yes, there are always outliers. For every healthy young person who dies there is a 107 year old (Spain in this case) who recovered or a 99 year old Vet who recovered.
Yeah, the airline pilot I knew who had a class 1 physical must have just been an outlier? My point is, did you see any of these so-called "outliers" in any normal flu season dying of flu in the past 40 years? I sure never have.
Old 17-04-2020, 19:55   #212

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Yeah, the airline pilot I knew who had a class 1 physical must have just been an outlier? My point is, did you see any of these so-called "outliers" in any normal flu season dying of flu in the past 40 years? I sure never have.
Yep. You hit the nail on the head. There are always outliers, even with the flu.

When I was in college, I worked on a paramedic rig. I saw plenty of outliers; the 11 year old who went into cardiac arrest; the cancer victim who never smoked, wasn't obese, ate well, and exercised; the list goes on.

Even my sister was an outlier. She never smoked, was a size two, exercised all the time, ate well, hardly drank, etc. She died just shy of her 37th birthday. It happens.
Old 17-04-2020, 22:31   #213

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
To me, that sounds a lot like recreational boating.
When dad, mom 3 kids and the dog come down to the marina, mingle with another mutidude of the above then zip over to the next beach, have bbq, drink gallons of swill that is recreational boating.
Sailing a yacht long distances is moving ones home from A to B is a lifestyle.
Old 18-04-2020, 01:26   #214

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcolesny View Post
That ban beyond mid June would be a real blow! I sincerely hope this is NOT coming to Long Island! I just spent ( alone and well distanced ) some 130 hours to install a new engine after my old Volvo blew last August. These visits to the boat were my sanity for the last weeks. And I almost always sail singlehanded. How would such a ban help reduce the rate of infection? EDUCATION is the role there and maybe some spot control by the coats guards and marine police...
Additionally, how many people does the marine industry employ? On Long Island, this is an important sector of the economy.

Sorry to bring bad news, but this is the reality on Long Island, at least on the South Shore. Yards are closed and prohibited from working on, or launching boats not considered "essential". Owners are not allowed near their boats. I can't recover my tools, let alone work on her. For those who trailer, ramps are closed. Some with barricades, others with locks and chains. I hope this is short lived. IMHO, self isolating with my immediate family, on my own boat, in a secluded anchorage is not a public health threat.
Old 18-04-2020, 02:06   #215
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
The hard truth is that we are being asked to stay home. It's not a vacation. It sucks and you can't put a smile on it.

we are being asked to destroy jobs and the economy. that will not solve our problem with the virus
Old 18-04-2020, 06:27   #216

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by neflier View Post
Sorry to bring bad news, but this is the reality on Long Island, at least on the South Shore. Yards are closed and prohibited from working on, or launching boats not considered "essential". Owners are not allowed near their boats. I can't recover my tools, let alone work on her. For those who trailer, ramps are closed. Some with barricades, others with locks and chains. I hope this is short lived. IMHO, self isolating with my immediate family, on my own boat, in a secluded anchorage is not a public health threat.

The can't access boats thing is definitely marina dependent under the NY restrictions. Some have said no access, while others (including mine) have determined that allowing owners to access their boats on land requires no action or services on the marina's part (as we can just drive/walk in and owners of boats stored inside have keys to the building), so they've simply said that if you're there working on your boat, stay the heck away from anyone else that's there.
Old 18-04-2020, 06:41   #217
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and belated welcome aboard the CF, Don.

Old 18-04-2020, 06:44   #218
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
we are being asked to destroy jobs and the economy. that will not solve our problem with the virus

We're not all going to die and the economy is not going to be ruined.We are going to loose some portion of productivity (most people are still working) for some number of months (not forever).

And something you have missed is that if something had not been done, several percent of the people in the world would be dead, perhaps10% would have been violently ill or incapacitated for a month or more, and the economy would have been disrupted, probably, just as much. Absenteeism would have soared and many businesses would have shut down for a time.

Exaggerating does not serve any purpose. As I said, "you can't put a smile on it" either way. All of the alternatives are bad. But we'll survive.

Funny hos the fashion has changed from "we've got to lock-down" to "they're killing the economy." None of this should be a surprise. It is playing out just as the math said it would, in both regards. We'll survive.
Old 18-04-2020, 07:05   #219
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

https://www.rockhallmd.com/sites/roc...k_ruling_2.pdf
Old 18-04-2020, 07:23   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
Yep. You hit the nail on the head. There are always outliers, even with the flu.

When I was in college, I worked on a paramedic rig. I saw plenty of outliers; the 11 year old who went into cardiac arrest; the cancer victim who never smoked, wasn't obese, ate well, and exercised; the list goes on.

Even my sister was an outlier. She never smoked, was a size two, exercised all the time, ate well, hardly drank, etc. She died just shy of her 37th birthday. It happens.
Funny that none of your examples involved the flu. I get what outliers are, believe me. It's just not an accurate use of the term here. When a whole bunch of "outliers" appear in a place you never had any "outliers" before they're no longer "outliers"!
At this point it's absurd to claim this is "just the flu" and that all the health care workers and others we see dying now that we've never seen dying from the flu in the past should just be dismissed with some hand waving as "outliers". Happy to see some hard data on how many health care workers died of the flu in past flu seasons for anyone who wants to back up the assertion that this is in any way normal.
Old 18-04-2020, 08:48   #221

Who is up for some globalization conspiracy stuff ��
If I told you in September all bars in America would be closed by April you would have had me committed!
Please question everything!

This is just for fun stimulating conversation while we all sit at home and watch Rome burn around us.

The global debt - if you keep in mind everything that's old - is about $4 quadrillion. That's four and 15 zeros. So, the best way to write off that amount of money is what's called force majeure. So, you have some kind of a naturally-occurring event, being, I don't know, a meteorite hitting the planet Earth, you know, gigantic earthquake which wipes out half of humanity, thermonuclear war, - or some kind of a coronavirus.

You have a group of people, very powerful people. They understand that the global collapse is upon us. So, they said, "If this goes through, humanity will blame us, because we're responsible, we need to have a force majeure to write off this $4 quadrillion debt and now the global governments - America, Canada, Europe, etc., etc. etc. need to save us from what we've done.

What's up with your retirement accounts?
Old 18-04-2020, 08:58   #222
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Kenny View Post
Lot of generalizations there, my friend.

Since you understand it, you're going to explain it to the rest of us using numbers and statistics, not broad finger waggling generalizations, right?

Regardless, if you have a weak immune system, stay home.

Since you asked, here is the mathematical and logical explanation, and not just for you. It is commonly stated that the COVID -19 death toll will be equal or maybe less than the flue of a couple years ago, and that since we did nothing then, why do anything now? Whether we think that number of deaths is OK, or not, is a political and philosophical question.

But, back to math and logic, the flu number from a couple of years ago was the result of no mass action. The COVID number is as low as it is (which isn't low) because we have taken massive action, although not enough IMHO. So, math and logic and science tell us without those actions, the toll would be a whole lot more, the exact amount being unknown.

So there is NO relationship between the two situation. They are totally apples and oranges. Have I simplified my answer enough that this analogy can be put in the rubbish bin? If not, God help us.
Old 18-04-2020, 09:14   #223
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortom View Post
Who is up for some globalization conspiracy stuff ��
If I told you in September all bars in America would be closed by April you would have had me committed!
Please question everything!

This is just for fun stimulating conversation while we all sit at home and watch Rome burn around us.

The global debt - if you keep in mind everything that's old - is about $4 quadrillion. That's four and 15 zeros. So, the best way to write off that amount of money is what's called force majeure. So, you have some kind of a naturally-occurring event, being, I don't know, a meteorite hitting the planet Earth, you know, gigantic earthquake which wipes out half of humanity, thermonuclear war, - or some kind of a coronavirus.

You have a group of people, very powerful people. They understand that the global collapse is upon us. So, they said, "If this goes through, humanity will blame us, because we're responsible, we need to have a force majeure to write off this $4 quadrillion debt and now the global governments - America, Canada, Europe, etc., etc. etc. need to save us from what we've done.

What's up with your retirement accounts?

Another thing about conspiracy theories is that any conspiracy worth getting worked up about takes lots of people, and it's impossible to keep that number of people from talking. Think of the ten people you trust the most. People who would "never tell" your secret to anyone, including that person to whom they tell EVERYTHING. Now, think of the most damning thing you could say about yourself.....doesn't need to be true, just that it is awful, and a secret. Would you tell that secret to those ten people? No? I thought not, because you would have to trust everyone that those ten trusted not to pass your secret beyond that group. And that isn't happening. Most of these conspiracies would take thousands or millions of people. And believers in these theories just somehow think nobody would ever say anything, whether sober, drunk, stoned, in their sleep or on their deathbed.
Old 18-04-2020, 09:31   #224

Boat: Baba 40

[QUOTE=I36guy;3119172]

At least one governor has taken it upon herself to rule that growing one's own food (buying seed) is "non-essential" - hence illegal. And, we have calls for even MORE restrictions and enforcement - by people with guns.]

Your ability to take things out of context is commendable. From the radical USA Today:

“ The order also notes large stores must close off areas of stores meant for carpeting, flooring, furniture, gardening and paint. The limits only apply to in-person sales and do not apply to stores with less than 50,000 square feet.”

The only people I’ve seen with guns are either law enforcement officials or the Trumpers pretending to be some sort of vigilantes that have forgotten the meaning of “greater good.”

While I’m not a fan of our current President, the silver lining is he’s helped uncover all of the whack jobs.
Old 18-04-2020, 09:38   #225

[QUOTE=Sailshabby;3120063]
Quote:
Originally Posted by I36guy View Post

At least one governor has taken it upon herself to rule that growing one's own food (buying seed) is "non-essential" - hence illegal. ]
False. You can mail order seeds. So no need to travel to the store and risk infecting yourself and others.

To me that's a sound principle. Please explain the urgency of buying seeds in person.

Please don't confuse it with false equivalencies or other items that are available for purchase. Just come up with a valid argument for why buying seeds in person should be deemed "essential".

You have the floor, sir.

Tags
boat, boating, Maryland