Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2020, 00:48   #1
Marine Service Provider

Corona pandemic, positively affects boat sales

Strange as it may seem, but the corona pandemic has positively affected boats sales in the Netherlands. That is to say, the lower priced boats up to €50.000. The reason being that the Dutch are advised to keep travel movements to the bare minimum. Consequently, the summer will be spent within the country borders and both the experienced as well as the novice aficionado are eagerly buying.

The question now being: is this going to be a trend that will catch-up in other countries and positively affect water sports in general?

A short article was written about this unexpected phenomenon >>
Old 08-05-2020, 00:58   #2

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: Corona pandemic, positively affects boat sales

ones that cant will have to go back to work in corona infested workplaces and make infection rate go below 1 one or other way. Ones that can, will wait this game out. Boat is very efficient/economical for that purpose.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:16   #3

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

That being true, that is certainly not what what I would have predicted. You are sure that the linked article was not written by a consortium of brokers?
OK, my cynicism is coming out
As an aside: What is a Lorren Draaier? ... eh I speak Dutch, but that word escapes me.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:20   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
That being true, that is certainly not what what I would have predicted. You are sure that the linked article was not written by a consortium of brokers?
The sources are the magazine "Zeilen" and an interview with a dealer in the daily newspaper AD. Both media channels I consider reliable and independent.

I am not saying it is so, but if it was a PR campaign of a consortium of brokers and it generates an interest in water sports amongst the general public, then mission succeeded I would say.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:27   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

https://www.lorrendraaier.nl/
Old 08-05-2020, 05:29   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Maybe it’s because Dutch boats are such high quality and seem to last forever holding their value?

Because I look at steel boats I frequently see Dutch built vessels for far higher than one would expect. Clearly they demand some steep premium.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:40   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

A friend used to sell motorcycles, he said they sold the best on rainy days.
What surprises me is that people have the money to buy and or will spend it before the end of the pandemic.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:24   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A64,

While humans continue bus to amaze me on a cognitive level i understand we are 98% chinos/bonobos. And we act it.

Just ask yourself “What would a chimp do?” And you are in the ball park.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:53   #9

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Weird so many people can’t understand this. I’ve been trying to show them for weeks on here.

They are like climate deniers. No matter what the actual data is, they just believe what they want. The world could use more critical thinking skills.

Sales are up 300% over this time last year in the States and I’m inundated by a single ad I put up when the stay at home orders went into effect. Turning away 2-4 legitimate people a day because I’m waiting for the pandemic to ease a bit before selling.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:42   #10

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

My broker tells me interest remains high and boats continue to sell.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:09   #11

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Unlike the Netherlands, the US is a big country. With travel so restricted by a combination of regulations and fear the pool of potential buyers is very restricted. Price, speed of sale or both are likely impacted. Good time to be buying, lousy to be selling.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:30   #12

Boat: Island Packet 32

I get that boats will give folks something to do close to home. Campers as well are a way to stay out of hotels. But I'm also amazed that they are not being very conservative with "extra" money.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:41   #13

Hank, re #3

Quote: "What is a Lorren Draaier? ... eh I speak Dutch, but that word escapes me."

The word has come into my native Danish via Platdeutsch via the Friesian dialect of Dutch. It has come into my lexicon because it was my Father's invariable appellation for politicians of every stripe. I believe the word also exists in Afrikans, though it may not be common. In Danish it exists as "lurendrejer" and it is not uncommon if a little old-fashioned.

It means "deceiver", "cheater", "con artist" and more currently, "scam artist". We must hope that on CF it is meant jocularly.

TrentePieds
Old 08-05-2020, 12:49   #14

One can assess if there are many price drops in boat listing if you go for example to https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for...visedSince=-30

This will indicate the listing that have had their price revised recently.

There is a filter that one can use labeled "price drop" just slide the knob over to the right and the filter will be reset for that factor.
Old 08-05-2020, 13:55   #15

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Lorren, thanks for the link. It is interesting thing. I would have thought the opposite also. I thought that so many people out of work and a damaged economy for quite some time...that boats would be sold off by those who can't afford the upkeep. Secondly, in California it is a lesson in futility trying to find a slip for liveaboard status. So, even if you could buy a boat...which is one thing...and trying to find a liveaboard slip is another thing.

People dump things when they can't afford them any longer. I am sure there are a lot of marinas seeing non payment for slips these days. Hard question...do I put food on the table or do I make my slip payment...my insurance payment on the boat...the diver's fee for cleaning the bottom?

Tags
boat, sale