Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2020, 03:30   #166

Boat: Tartan 34C
Re: Maryland Bans Recreational Boating for the Duration

Hi All. Hope everyone is staying safe and well during this trying. Like most, I'm faced with a decision on next steps with where to move my boat. I'm fortunate in that I'm in a safe spot now for the time being in St. Helena. Had planned to get back to the bay this summer via Brazil and Caribbean after having left Annapolis in January 2018, but of course that has all changed. By the end of the month, the window will start to close to make it back in one (albeit long) sail from here to the Bay (about 5100NM) before hurricane season really sets in. However, I'm more hard pressed every day to find a compelling reason to hurry back to the states - trading relative freedom and normalcy for uncertainty, the virus, and likely quarantine. With the stay at home order in VA until June, DC expecting a peak in July, I'd be setting of for 40 some days at sea from here to arrive in an uncertain situation regarding mooring, where to provision, fuel, and since it's the bay, pumpouts as well. A week ago I had come around to the idea of just cruising around the bay while this blows over, but now with the new orders and bans, it seems that that might me soon (or already is) forbidden as well. The other option is to hang here until it this all gets better and continue on to the southern carribean below the hurricane belt whenever places start to open back up. Truthfully, that's where I am strongly inclined at the moment, but it is hard to still give up the idea of making it back home this year (vice possibly December at the earliest if coming straight back after hurricane season).

By the way, I haven't been the best about posting on social media during the last couple years but if anyone is intersted the Facebook page for the trip is @hardtacksailing, instagram is @_hardtack_ and then tracker is hardtack.com/whereabouts

Thanks in advance for the thoughts and please continue to stay healthy and safe.

Kennon
Old 04-04-2020, 04:54   #167

Boat: Outbound 44

Kennon,
How long can you get a visa for in St Helena? Are they willing to keep extending while the world spins on cv19? Once hurricane season starts you don't want to run out of visa and have toq leave. Brazil is unlikely to get over the cv19 issues soon, so it may not be an option. So that leaves the carib and us east coast. Not something you want to do in storm season. If you feel the moorings are safe where you are and that you will be granted a long enough visa then I'd sure consider sitting tight and seeing how the world turns oht.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:04   #168

Boat: Tartan 34C

Paul - Passport stamped through until August 31. Arrived Mar 15 and have up to 183 days so could get another 15ish if needed. Certainly wouldn't be sailing to hurricane Caribbean. Would sail to Grenada or ABCs depending on when/if the open again - which honestly let's hope that happens before August or this thing will have seriously gone crazy. Maybe then it would be a waterworld/drift along at sea type situation. Moorings are safe. About 16 other yachts here all wondering what's next as well.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:52   #169

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjones View Post
Paul - Passport stamped through until August 31. Arrived Mar 15 and have up to 183 days so could get another 15ish if needed. Certainly wouldn't be sailing to hurricane Caribbean. Would sail to Grenada or ABCs depending on when/if the open again - which honestly let's hope that happens before August or this thing will have seriously gone crazy. Maybe then it would be a waterworld/drift along at sea type situation. Moorings are safe. About 16 other yachts here all wondering what's next as well.
It is reasonably likely that countries will open up and then close again over the next year. No one will want to keep shut longer than they have to. But if they open up and then see a significant increase in cases, like Singapore did, they are likely to shutdown hard. It would sure be nice if you had the option to stay until Oct or so, so that you could transit north outside of hurricane season if you choose not to go before it starts.
No easy answer.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:12   #170
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Ok, say your home port is Portland,ME or Albany NY.
You're in the Exumas. In 3 weeks you'll be in MD.

You are using your boat to get food, obviously anytime you anchor. You chuck out a fishing line and you are also gathering food whilst underway.

You proceed, ideally with maybe only a stop in Ocean City. Am I missing anything?
Old 17-04-2020, 06:55   #171
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

To be clear, 'recreational boating' does include delivering a boat through Maryland waters. It also does not forbid moving a boat from one marina to another.

Many marinas are open and some fuel docks.

The FAQ is constantly being updated
Old 17-04-2020, 07:18   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
The passengers on the zandaam boarded on March 7 weeks after the Diamond Princess was quarantined in Yokohama. In fact it was the very next day on March 8 that she docked in Oakland and began unloading sick passengers and crew. It was sheer stupidity on the part of the passengers to start the cruise and criminal negligence for the cruise line to permit them onboard.

If these people have a death wish then we should allow them to fulfill it. Let them take responsibility for their actions and do not let them take up ICU beds and ventilators that could save the lives of those who are ill through no fault of their own. These idiots are 100% to blame for their predicament.

How would you react if your child or your wife was denied access to a respirator because some moron from the Zaandam was using it? When your loved one had done everything possible to avoid the virus and was then left to die to save someone who had done everything possible to get it?

If Trump wants to let them ashore then let them turn Mar-a-Lago into a free clinic for them.
Totally agree
Old 17-04-2020, 07:18   #173

Boat: Ponderosa Sundeck 35

I’m seeing tons of talk here about “illegal” and “mandatory”. The reality is that most of these are guidelines, meant to make the majority of people think twice before acting recklessly. They provide law enforcement a foundation to initiate discussion about the right thing to do, but law enforcement has no more desire to get into your business than you do. Keep in mind, the majority of them are libertarian-minded too.

How many of you have an actual first-hand story of an actual “legal” encounter with law enforcement on this? Sure, some may have been stopped or questioned and politely reminded of safe practices, but how many actually had legal action taken? Virtually none, unless you were grossly negligent or belligerent.

While we boaters may get a lot of crap from “do-gooder” land-lubbers, those same people are out there granting themselves exceptions in a myriad of ways, walking their pets on busy park trails, taking daily shopping excursions for “essential” items like paint so they can redecorate their house, going on long drives (a land yacht) to break up the boredom, making their “one exception” to spend time with a family member that doesn’t live with them, etc.

My advice (as a former cop) — stop bickering about the “letter of the law” and just focus on the “spirit of the law”. If you genuinely keep social distanced, don’t hold parties, don’t promiscuously overuse marinas, etc, you might be a bit inconvenienced, but you’re going to be just fine. As with almost all things, there is room in the middle between “you can’t under any circumstances” and “I can do whatever I want”.

This situation is hard enough as it is. There is no need to add a bunch of additional stress over half-baked guidelines based on third-hand rumors. Just do the right thing!
Old 17-04-2020, 07:22   #174

Boat: Ponderosa Sundeck 35

As for me, my immediately family and I will be spending a 3-day weekend on the hook in a secluded spot. We will not encounter another soul. And then we will return to our home and continue our faithful isolation. I feel completely comfortable and unapologetic with this.
Old 17-04-2020, 07:36   #175

For those who are or may be TRANSITING through the MD portion of the Chesapeake or MD waters offshore, here is the answer direct from MD officials on how that relates to MD's restriction on recreational boating. (received on April 13th with a state POC noted)

"Regarding people traveling through/in Maryland waters: There are no orders at this time limiting travel through Maryland by boat. However, if travelers were in close contact with others out of state, we are urging them to avoid close contact with others in Maryland and self-monitor for symptoms. If any symptoms develop, they should self-quarantine and contact a health care provider. We are also urging travelers to follow CDC guidance on domestic travel which can be found here:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...in-the-us.html

Also please review:

https://governor.maryland.gov/wp-con...ED-3.30.20.pdf

https://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2020/0...at-home-order/

https://www.cisa.gov/publication/gui...force#download

Also the criteria below was forwarded to me officially as well...

1. Regarding delivery of boats: Marinas and marine transport businesses can deliver boats to the boat owner's homes or boat slip.

2. (Moving a boat from a marina or boatyard to your home dock or boat slip is allowed. Just not general recreational boating. We realize that this time of year a lot of people are de-winterizing their boats.)

3. Out-of-State Travel: No Marylander should be traveling outside of the state unless such travel is absolutely necessary. Those who have traveled outside of the state should self-quarantine for 14 days.

https://coronavirus.maryland.gov/

Thank you for contacting DNR,
Mike
Michael R. (Mike) Simonsen
Boating Stakeholder Coordinator
Fishing and Boating Services
Department of Natural Resources
580 Taylor Ave., E-4
Annapolis, Maryland 21401
michael.simonsen@maryland.gov
(410) 260-8272 (O)
(443) 239-1795 (M)

Website | Facebook | Twitter"
Old 17-04-2020, 07:38   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
The MD rule brings up some interesting conflicts.

It’s one thing to return to the Chesapeake. But then you need to find a mooring, slip, anchor out, or haul.

Mooring, slip, and haul require marinas to be operating.

If marinas are not functioning anchor out is the only option.

Having experienced Sandy and the one the year before at DELAWARE City Marina I would much rather haul.

Hopefully things will return closer to normal by then.

Otherwise, if marinas are closed, you might be better off in the NC sounds.
Harrington harbor North (on the Chesapeake just south of Annapolis) is open and has available slips and haul outs.
Old 17-04-2020, 07:42   #177

Boat: Challenger 7.4 but looking for 30-40ft with a wheel

Well up until this post I hadn’t thought it was coming to this. I’m a member of Sarnia Yacht Club and was just going on the assumption that after our 2 week delay on launch I’d be sailing or close to it. Probably kaput. I will find a way to go sailing. We might have to adopt the herd approach to this thing. I’m 66 and am willing to. I live for sailing. Not being able to go sailing? What the **** are we going to do next year when for sure another one of these comes out of China. Join the Herd.
Old 17-04-2020, 07:48   #178

Boat: 53 foot wooden ketch

Buffoons in government in action. The nanny state is speaking
Old 17-04-2020, 07:51   #179

Maryland must have more than its fair share of Covidiots, if the police have to issue these kinds of warnings.

Maryland police remind residents to wear pants to mailbox: 'This is your final warning'

A small-town police department in Maryland has reminded residents to wear pants while checking the mail, yet another sign that many people working during stay-at-home orders are dressing casually, if they're getting dressed at all.

"Please remember to put pants on before leaving the house to check your mailbox. You know who you are. This is your final warning," the Taneytown Police Department wrote in a Facebook post Tuesday.

This isn't the first time the department, which serves about 7,200 citizens, has used its social media account to post topical commentary to its 11,000 followers.
Old 17-04-2020, 08:15   #180

Boat: Jeanneau 42 Deck Salon

For those that haven't noticed, most of the state governors have been on a power trip and making things up as they go - based on models that have been blatantly wrong by huge factors. I keep waiting for common sense to break out but it may be long wait. One or two people enjoying fresh air and bright sunshine (proven anti-viral measures) are safer than huddling at home like the sheep the governor hopes for.

For those transiting the Chesapeake, Herrington Harbour North and South marinas are open, with limited services like fuel and store (South) and contractor maintenance (North) available. I have a short haul scheduled for next week. It will require transiting the three miles between Herrington South and North for an hour of power washing and changing anodes. If Maryland wants to invade my social distance to tell me that's recreation, so be it.

Tags
boat, boating, Maryland