Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2020, 11:07   #196

Re: Maryland Bans Recreational Boating for the Duration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Kenny View Post
Bravo Brother; it's nice to not have to be the Lone Ranger all the time.

The regular seasonal flu killed 80,000 during the 2017 2018 season.

Why no police state style lockdown then?

I understand that people with comprised immune systems need to take precautions, but that is less than. 05% of the population.

Hardly worth shutting down the entire economy over.

You understand the difference, right?

If not, you'll just have to trust us: there's a difference. Or don't. Society doesn't depend on everyone getting it.

There are legitimate differences of opinion. And some that aren't really all that legitimate or informed. All we're asking is that people try to be on the right side of the scale.
Old 17-04-2020, 11:20   #197
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

So big pharma controlled the behavior of China, Russia, and practically every other country, and they got it all to happen in unison. Wow. And deep state too.

I'm sorry, I stopped taking my conspiracy theory pills. I thought this was just a mess.

The human brain is not well suited to logic. We have to constantly focus on facts, controlled experiments and quantifiable observations to prevent us from going with our gut, which is better tuned to fight-or-flight and finding food (self interest). I really enjoy it when I find that my experimental hypothesis was incorrect. It means I did the science.
Old 17-04-2020, 11:29   #198

[QUOTE=redneckrob;3108261...perhaps instead of whining about it we can all spend some time being thankful for the fact that we're not in the service industry with no job or hope of one soon or that we're in the medical field putting our life on the line every minute we're at work, and spend the time we were going to complain thinking about how fortunate we are?[/QUOTE]

Amen, Amen, Amen.
Old 17-04-2020, 11:38   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipperart View Post
Any idea where I can get a cheaper slip or haul out near the Magothy ?
My boat is in the Magothy river.
Thank you
This is a bit off topic, but...

Fairwinds and Ferry Point are pricey, IMO. I've used White Rocks on the Patapsco for haul outs for many years. For slips, many homeowners have private marinas.
Old 17-04-2020, 11:41   #200

Boat: HOBIE 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
You understand the difference, right?

If not, you'll just have to trust us: there's a difference. Or don't. Society doesn't depend on everyone getting it.

There are legitimate differences of opinion. And some that aren't really all that legitimate or informed. All we're asking is that people try to be on the right side of the scale.
Lot of generalizations there, my friend.

Since you understand it, you're going to explain it to the rest of us using numbers and statistics, not broad finger waggling generalizations, right?

Regardless, if you have a weak immune system, stay home.
Old 17-04-2020, 11:45   #201

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

I'm sorry, I stopped taking my conspiracy theory pills. I thought this was just a mess.

Old 17-04-2020, 12:06   #202

I certainly disagree with Maryland's new boating restrictions
I presume this will be rolled back to a lesser degree when authorities gain greater understanding about "Asymptomatic Carriers"-which are Still a big question mark.

though here is food for thought

CDC empirical data for USA 2017/2018 Flu season

2017/2018 Flu season was comprised of several flu variants
45 million caught one or more of these 2017/2018 Flu variants
810,000 were hospitalized
61,000 died from one or more of these 2017/2018 Flu variants
This is a death rate of 0.136%

Now,lets take a look at what 45 Million of our fellow citizens infected
by covid-19 would look like using TODAY'S empirical current hospitalization & death rate percentages

If 45 million infected by covid-19,which has an approximate 5.689 times higher infectious rate than 2017/2018 Flu variants combined,the United States of America citizenry would see:

9 Million hospitalizations &
at Today's %5 death rate of all people infected

2.25 Million Deaths from covid-19

"How Scientists Quantify the Intensity of an Outbreak Like COVID-19"
https://labblog.uofmhealth.org/round...-like-covid-19
Old 17-04-2020, 12:10   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

I really enjoy it when I find that my experimental hypothesis was incorrect. It means I did the science.
Hi Thinwater: Do you have an experimental hypothesis as to whether taking conspiracy theory pills will aid in preventing Covid-19 or derive more favorable outcomes to the disease?

Just wondering if I should stock up on conspiracy theory pills or begin taking them prophylactically?

Of keen issue with taking most conspiracy theory pills is that they tend to cause one to have as side effects [or primary effects] wild and vivid dreams when sleeping and delusion or hallucinations when awake, anxiety and panic attacks, and anti-social behaviors.

Can you recommend or have a favorite conspiracy theory pill [or injectable] and a recommended dosage regime?

Are they compatible with taking hydroxychloroquine?

Will be anxiously awaiting your reply. Very anxiously.
Old 17-04-2020, 12:12   #204

Quote:
Lot of generalizations there, my friend.

Since you understand it, you're going to explain it to the rest of us using numbers and statistics, not broad finger waggling generalizations, right?

Regardless, if you have a weak immune system, stay home.
There are plenty of statistics out there, and they're readily available for anyone who is curious about them, so I won't bore or confuse you by repeating them.

It does get complicated, but the point is that to "lower the curve", and not overwhelm our health care system, we need everyone to stay home and social-distance, not just folks who are immunity-compromised.

Eliminating or limiting recreational boating for a limited amount of time is an easy decision for hot spots. It's not a huge ask. Limiting social contact throughout the U.S. for a limited amount of time while we put measures in place and figure some things out is also not a huge ask.

Someone, somewhere, probably has a formula that directly models societal openness vs deaths. The more open society is right now, the more deaths we'll have. The guidelines were meant to give us some time to get our bearings. It seems like they have bought us some time. And there are therapies and processes being developed and tested right now.

People have developed better social distancing habits, and are protecting themselves fairly well. When was the last time you shook hands with a stranger or went to a big party? I'm guessing it's been a while. People are doing a pretty good job of keeping their distance. Who knows? Maybe that will be enough for now in some areas.

To some degree, we have to trust the folks who make a career out of epidemiology to make some educated predictions. They do tend to be on the conservative side, so we need to put them in the same room as some business leaders and see what they come up with.
Old 17-04-2020, 12:22   #205

Quote:

I understand that people with comprised immune systems need to take precautions, but that is less than. 05% of the population.

Hardly worth shutting down the entire economy over.
Let me ask you, how many doctors and nurses died from seasonal flu in 2017/2018? How many 25-50 year olds who were otherwise in good health? In my 47 years I've never known anyone in those groups to die of flu, but know of both from COVID.

It's critical that you stop repeating and hopefully stop believing this fallacy that only those with compromised immune systems are susceptible to COVID. It is simply unequically empirically false. Once you come on board with that reality, much of what you're railing against will make a lot more sense. Even if you don't come on board with that reality, understanding that the vast majority of your fellow Americans believe that reality will at least allow you to understand why we are acting the way we are.
Old 17-04-2020, 15:56   #206

Boat: HOBIE 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
There are plenty of statistics out there, and they're readily available for anyone who is curious about them, so I won't bore or confuse you by repeating them.

It does get complicated, but the point is that to "lower the curve", and not overwhelm our health care system, we need everyone to stay home and social-distance, not just folks who are immunity-compromised.

Eliminating or limiting recreational boating for a limited amount of time is an easy decision for hot spots. It's not a huge ask. Limiting social contact throughout the U.S. for a limited amount of time while we put measures in place and figure some things out is also not a huge ask.

Someone, somewhere, probably has a formula that directly models societal openness vs deaths. The more open society is right now, the more deaths we'll have. The guidelines were meant to give us some time to get our bearings. It seems like they have bought us some time. And there are therapies and processes being developed and tested right now.

People have developed better social distancing habits, and are protecting themselves fairly well. When was the last time you shook hands with a stranger or went to a big party? I'm guessing it's been a while. People are doing a pretty good job of keeping their distance. Who knows? Maybe that will be enough for now in some areas.

To some degree, we have to trust the folks who make a career out of epidemiology to make some educated predictions. They do tend to be on the conservative side, so we need to put them in the same room as some business leaders and see what they come up with.
Just as I expected, thanks.
Old 17-04-2020, 16:09   #207

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I posted this somewhere else, but maybe it makes sense to post it here as well. It’s a slow day. Sitting out here at anchor. Freezing.

So I just passed through the Hudson river and East River around the island of Manhattan the other day. I heard all of the sirens. It’s not uncommon to hear a bunch of sirens as you are going through that area. So I looked over to see what was going on. I thought I might see some big police action. Something dramatic. Nope.

The nonstop sirens were all ambulances. Continuously going around the city. Sirens blaring. One after another, after another. So frequent that I thought it was one single police event.

Last night, my girlfriend said she couldn’t sleep. We are actually apart right now because she had a loophole So she’s stuck in a 14 day quarantine right now. She will come on the boat when that is over soon.

Anyway, she couldn’t sleep at all she said there were a lot of “firetrucks” Blaring all night. Again, this was ambulances. All night long without stopping.

I’ve seen plenty of heavy flu seasons. None of them ever did anything like that.
Old 17-04-2020, 16:09   #208

Boat: CD25

letsgetsailinge3
Nice summary

Love your thought on the last paragraph.
Old 17-04-2020, 16:18   #209

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Bravo Brother; it's nice to not have to be the Lone Ranger all the time.

There is already herd immunity that is why. Consider in 1918 in san francisco the police were under orders to shoot anyone who refused to wear a face mask. No one is talking about doing that yet. Children starved to death because no one would go near them and their parents had died. This doesn't occur in 'seasonal flu' in meaningful numbers.

It seems like the government is taking away freedoms but not in the order that most prevents spreading the virus. This is unfortunate. They should be closing gas pumps and requiring permits (only for food delivery trucks and medical supplies) for vehicles to obtain fuel.

motorboats in a huge way spoils my boating experience. Banning them in michigan is a good decision, I can only hope other states will follow, but has little effect on the virus spreading.
Old 17-04-2020, 17:09   #210

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
It's critical that you stop repeating and hopefully stop believing this fallacy that only those with compromised immune systems are susceptible to COVID. It is simply unequically empirically false.
Per the Italian national health agency, 99% of all COvid19 deaths had complications. An acquaintance owns a funeral home and normally he does around 5 funerals a day. He said that now he is doing over 15, and they all have a common denominator. They are obese.

Yes, there are always outliers. For every healthy young person who dies there is a 107 year old (Spain in this case) who recovered or a 99 year old Vet who recovered.

Tags
boat, boating, Maryland