Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2021, 17:27   #16

Re: Covid vaccines: risk vs benefit alarming news

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
"being masked like a slave" - LOL

The distinguishing feature of being a slave is not having the right to act as you choose, in any way, in ways much more significant than the wearing of a slightly uncomfortable device when shopping.

I choose to wear a mask for the good of others (and myself).
I enjoyed that phrase too. It calls into question everything else the OP says.
Old 16-03-2021, 17:31   #17

Boat: Spindrift 43

FFS. Over a year in, does anyone actually think some factoid they puke out is going to change another’s position on this?

“Wearing a mask saves 73.2% of the people 89.613% of the time.”

“Wearing a mask is useless”

You’re both going to go back to your corners at the end of that exchange. Chill the hell out and talk about boats for a change... or flame me for thinking after a year of this crap, a boat forum would be a nice place to talk about boats instead of some virus... (full disclosure. This is from someone who’s had it and thought a year ago it WAS worth debating about).

This as been in the public consciousness so long now., frankly you’re a weapons-grade moron if you think there’s still room to sway anyone’s viewpoints on this topic. If you’re doing it because you think your side carries the moral imperative, that’s a greater affirmation of the preceding statement.
Old 16-03-2021, 17:31   #18
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I believe one of the leading reasons for not getting a vaccine is "I don't need to because everyone else will and as a result the pandemic will pass." They won't say that in as many words, but that is the thought process. They avoid the effort, they may fear a reaction, and they can support their action by voices that spread doubt. But the main reason is that by doing nothing, others will do it for them. Unspoken human nature.

I could be wrong and I did not say it was the only reason.
Old 16-03-2021, 17:34   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

First I will be the first to say that between political agendas, pharma profits, media misinformation, and ignorance...who knows the truth?
I will point out the following, the CDC on March 6th pointed out that mask mandates have not statistically improved the spread of Covid vs no mask at all. Now they want us to wear 2-3 masks? Also, 85% of the people who died of Covid wore a mask.
Now, the vaccines...when Trump was in office all those politicians who political groups who hated him were stating the vaccines was not safe and was rushed. He lost...same people are pushing the vaccine. Did the vaccine change?
The under the emergency act, the vaccine was rushed without the usual safeguards...it is not FDA approved and we are still in the research stage.
I called several companies as to the complications of the vaccines to date...they told we are still gathering information.
These companies are immune from law suits, will be making billions, and are not disclosing real time information.
Will the vaccines interfere with our natural immunity? How is affecting us? How effective is it?
Do you really trust anyone in Pharma and government? We do not have real informed consent.
IMHO
Abe
Old 16-03-2021, 18:04   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Covid vaccines: risk vs benefit alarming news

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I believe one of the leading reasons for not getting a vaccine is "I don't need to because everyone else will and as a result the pandemic will pass." They won't say that in as many words, but that is the thought process. They avoid the effort, they may fear a reaction, and they can support their action by voices that spread doubt. But the main reason is that by doing nothing, others will do it for them. Unspoken human nature.

I could be wrong and I did not say it was the only reason.
Wrong.. I have faith in my immune system dealing with the virus.. if as is now being stated is true that the vaccine prevents serious illness and death and, as recently stated reduces transmission why the panic..
If the 'experts' are right you are safe..
If I am wrong, I am dead..
What's your problem.???

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 16-03-2021, 18:20   #21

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Of course you should take medical advice from a "marine service provider." And maybe your doctor will come out and clean the bottom of your boat.

Spent a year being careful, wearing a mask and never got covid. Now I have the Pfizer vaccine, my wife has the J&J, and we're about to take off on a two-month sailing trip around western Florida and the Keys.

We're protected against dumb asses who don't understand science.

My brother, on the other hand, has a job where he has to meet with the public. One of those dumb asses gave him covid. He survived, but still has no sense of taste or smell months later.

Giving potentially deadly advice is not a game. Stick to cleaning boat bottoms or repairing fiberglass or whatever you do. And stop sniffing the fumes ...
Old 16-03-2021, 18:30   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
Of course you should take medical advice from a "marine service provider." And maybe your doctor will come out and clean the bottom of your boat.

Spent a year being careful, wearing a mask and never got covid. Now I have the Pfizer vaccine, my wife has the J&J, and we're about to take off on a two-month sailing trip around western Florida and the Keys.

We're protected against dumb asses who don't understand science.

My brother, on the other hand, has a job where he has to meet with the public. One of those dumb asses gave him covid. He survived, but still has no sense of taste or smell months later.

Giving potentially deadly advice is not a game. Stick to cleaning boat bottoms or repairing fiberglass or whatever you do. And stop sniffing the fumes ...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 16-03-2021, 19:14   #23

Boat: Pearson 10M

Hey all, let me tell you about my day. First i went to see little jimmy, all those days inside an iron lung is rough and he needed some cheering up. His sister didn't get it as bad, she just has a limp, but gets around great! Needed a walk after, but had to avoid downtown, another smallpox outbreak. Came home to hear from my girlfriend that two of her sister:s kids died from diptheria. All too common sad to say. Another of her kids has a muscular disorder from tetnus, a sad situation indeed.

Oh wait, no I didn't, because of vaccines.
Old 16-03-2021, 19:22   #24

So, after all of YOU have got your shots, that apparently you want, and can get sooner because of those of us that dont: How is it again that those who chose NOT to be vaccinated are somehow a threat to you who did get vaccinated ?

Either you believe that the vaccine protects you or you dont ? So which is it ?

Emily and Clark from Youtube spend a year in lockdown around the Bahamas, then the DR. Dont get covid. Then Emily has to get a surgical procedure, goes to hospital, gets covid from the staff, Clark gets it from her. If you want to get sick fast, go to hospital, it always works. Like the dialysis patients and cancer patients getting chemo on the same floor, 6 to a nurse. Want to see how fast you can kill those cancer patients with no immune system ? Or the bone marrow transfer scam that saves 2-4% of patients and kills 95%+. Just keep on buying the lie of modern medicine, Ill take my chances. India is doing better than about 60+ developed nations with no vaccine in sight for any but the elites.
Old 16-03-2021, 19:31   #25

Boat: Pearson 10M

The problem with those who do not get vaccinated against this very contagious disease is that they become an incubator for for viral mutations that the vaccine may not be effective against. So the few can screw the many.

I'm this case being misinformed is a danger to all. FYI, not my opinion, this is the opinion of the head of infectious disease of a major hospital I am related to.
Old 16-03-2021, 19:31   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
So, after all of YOU have got your shots, that apparently you want, and can get sooner because of those of us that dont: How is it again that those who chose NOT to be vaccinated are somehow a threat to you who did get vaccinated ?

Either you believe that the vaccine protects you or you dont ? So which is it ?
Because they trust nothing and no one. .
Insure ones self against every possibility is the only way..
I don't smoke but smokers can give me cancer, or asthma.. Ban Smoking..
Must remember to top up with diesel on the way home..

Old 16-03-2021, 19:35   #27

Yet in ZA the vaccine has been turned away because it was found to be ineffective against the new strains already ? Doctors have already had covid more than once because the new strain doesnt care about the antibodies of the old strain ? My brothers doctor, I might add.

My brother, who is older than me, and his extended family all got covid, despite mask wearing and religious hand sanitizer use and staying at home except to buy groceries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagablu View Post
The problem with those who do not get vaccinated against this very contagious disease is that they become an incubator for for viral mutations that the vaccine may not be effective against. So the few can screw the many.

I'm this case being misinformed is a danger to all. FYI, not my opinion, this is the opinion of the head of infectious disease of a major hospital I am related to.
Old 16-03-2021, 19:43   #28

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

You certainly have the right to be stupid and not get a vaccine. You want to risk death, getting your legs amputated, whatever, that's perfectly within your rights.

Just make sure you have health insurance so my tax dollars don't subsidize your stupidity.

But the fact of the matter is that many people do not have access to vaccines yet. So people such as you who disobey the rules pose a threat to smart people who deserve a longer stay in this world.

You don't want a vaccine? Lock yourself inside for a couple of months. When we reach herd immunity, you can be free to do whatever you want.

I won't feel bad when you are in a hospital bed and say, oh crap, maybe that thing I read on the Internet wasn't true ...
Old 16-03-2021, 19:50   #29

Boat: Rafiki 37
Covid vaccines: risk vs benefit alarming news

Sigh... the same old ##### discussion once again .

Vaccination programs work in TWO ways. Yes, they provide direct protection to those who are vaccinated. The level of protection ranges depending on the vaccine. In this case we have some highly effective vaccines, but none provide 100% protection. So even those who are vaccinated still face risk of the disease.

But the second, more important aspect of mass vaccination programs is that they create a barrier to further spread and hosting of the virus. Just like a fire-breaks stop the further spread of a forest fire, a vaccine-break halts the spread and help put out the conflagration faster. And just like with fire-breaks, every chink in the wall gives the fire, or in this case the virus, a way to carry on spreading.

So no... it's not just about you. It's about all of us. This is what some of you can't seem to grasp.

But it's probably going to be OK. There is such a high level of uptake that we can accommodate the free riders in the group. So carry on. The rest of us will pick up your slack.
Old 16-03-2021, 20:02   #30
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
You certainly have the right to be stupid and not get a vaccine. You want to risk death, getting your legs amputated, whatever, that's perfectly within your rights.

Just make sure you have health insurance so my tax dollars don't subsidize your stupidity.

But the fact of the matter is that many people do not have access to vaccines yet. So people such as you who disobey the rules pose a threat to smart people who deserve a longer stay in this world.

You don't want a vaccine? Lock yourself inside for a couple of months. When we reach herd immunity, you can be free to do whatever you want.

I won't feel bad when you are in a hospital bed and say, oh crap, maybe that thing I read on the Internet wasn't true ...
Relax.. I'm not a Yank so don't need your tax dollars..

Tags
alarm