Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 03-10-2021, 11:13   #2731

Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
There is an interesting analysis piece in CBC today looking at the potential legal challenges around the government's Covid-19 responses.

Meanwhile, governments that delayed passports and stricter health measures to keep from infringing upon our rights may be vulnerable to possible — albeit improbable — challenges that inaction on COVID-19 violated those rights, instead.

Mike, that "basic, logical conclusion" has escaped me to altogether too long, even though the objective response to anti-vaxxers is "Your freedumb stops at my nose."

When the real issue is public health, not freedumb, and when vaccines are necessary to enter countries to say nothing of school, and when passports ("Oh my G-d, what more of my rights are they gonna take away now?!?") are necessary to leave, enter and re-enter every country known to man, it now seems like one of those moments!

How could we have missed the basic point that the anti-vax government-types in office, like some of our mid-country brethren have to live with, are actually the ones who are harming my health and yours. They should be held accountable, not those of us who care about the health of our entire communities. Like the health care officers and workers they are firing and setting the mindless hordes to picket.

Yeah, picketing a hospital in the middle of a pandemic is so utterly helpful. Where do those dolts think they'll go when they DO get sick? Sheez....

Thanks for the reminder.

My health IS my freedom. How quaint.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 03-10-2021, 11:17   #2732

Boat: Rafiki 37

The official Alberta Covid-19 stats websites says there were 18 deaths on September 29th. Reading the CBC story, there is some possible fudging of the number. As they says, "Most of the deaths did not occur in the past 24 hours because there can be a delay in reporting them."
https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-1...evere-outcomes

It doesn't help anyone to exagerate or conflate these numbers. It's bad enough without pretending it's worse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 12.10.19 .jpg
Views:	73
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	246357  
Old 03-10-2021, 11:21   #2733

Boat: Trlåren 31

The 34 deaths mentioned above are the highest number of reported deathsfor any day. That's the largest number of deaths reported in any day and does not mean that all those deaths occurred on the same day.

I'm seeing the same thing in headlines in Alaska, they're now officially reporting deaths that occurred quite some time ago.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:26   #2734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
How could we have missed the basic point that the anti-vax government-types in office, like some of our mid-country brethren have to live with, are actually the ones who are harming my health and yours. They should be held accountable, ...
I thought it was an interesting point Stu, but as the story suggests, it's pretty "improbable" that politicians or officials would be held legally liable. In one very real sense, the politicians will face the music when election time comes. Although that may seem like poor justice compared to the unnecessary suffering and death caused by certain choices.

Still... this seems like a very slippery slope that I'd be loath to start down.
Old 03-10-2021, 14:26   #2735

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You guys must be hurting from the deaths of your countrymen. I felt so sad when the new cases per day were up to 175,000 per day, day after day, in the US. Anyone who loves their country cannot help but be affected. My condolences.

I have spent hours on a death vigil, in ICU, in 2018. It is what i think of when i read of the Covid 19 deaths in hospital.

We really all need to try and keep our wits about us, and emphasize the positive values we hold. Those of us who are able to, will come out at least feeling okay about ourselves. I'm afraid it is going to be a long, slow way forward, with a lot of really tough changes. We are still in the early stages of this pandemic. And there's nothing keeping some other mutating virus from happening; so we need to be emotionally prepared for more. Sorry to be the bearer of grim tidings, but it looks to me like we've already benefitted from what was learned from SARS, and we will benefit from what's learned now, too.

Ann (mod hat off)
Old 04-10-2021, 09:39   #2736

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

What amazes me is that going on two years after the fact, and 2,735 posts in this thread, people have still not given up on corona. The only place it's still a problem is on internet forums, media sites and in politics. Otherwise most people have moved on.

Yeah, our friends from Canada never did get down here to their boat. And now they got a new kind of politics - vaccine politics and the people with a problem with that are the ones that got vaccine, believe they are in some higher echelon of society, and sit around complaining on internet forums blaming their problems on the people that could care less and have moved on.

After waiting for our friends from Canada last year, and it became obvious they were never going to escape from their covid prison, we sailed our boat across Superior and Michigan and down the river system to the Gulf. We spent all last winter in the Bahamas. Never had a problem with corona, and neither did anybody else we met unless you turn on the so-called "news" and soak it all up. Our boat is on the hard in Miami and we're going back to splash her in November, this winter we're going to Mexico.

It is our observation that the corona has affected some people mentally and they will likely never get over it, as witnessed by a corona thread on a cruiser's forum that's been running for over a year with 2,735 posts! My advice is to move on - the real world is not really all that bad. I really feel for our friends in Canada but their situation is due to politics and fear, not any actual problem with a virus (unless you have gone to living your life on the internet). They ended up selling their boat thru a broker because they couldn't get to it. This year they're going to fly to Miami and join us on our winter cruise. They didn't get vaccine and they're not going to - they already had the corona and got over it. Once they escape from Canada they could care less if they ever go back. That's what corona politics has accomplished. Time to move on.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:49   #2737

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post
It is our observation that the corona has affected some people mentally and they will likely never get over it, as witnessed by a corona thread on a cruiser's forum that's been running for over a year with 2,735 posts! My advice is to move on - the real world is not really all that bad. I really feel for our friends in Canada but their situation is due to politics and fear, not any actual problem with a virus (unless you have gone to living your life on the internet). They ended up selling their boat thru a broker because they couldn't get to it. This year they're going to fly to Miami and join us on our winter cruise. They didn't get vaccine and they're not going to - they already had the corona and got over it. Once they escape from Canada they could care less if they ever go back. That's what corona politics has accomplished. Time to move on.
You clearly have no connection with the Canadian reality. Spend a little time looking at Alberta or Saskatchewan right now where hospitals are over-flowing with cases, and ICU patients are running nearly 200% above capacity.

One thing is correct though, part of this is due to "Corona politics." It's the politics of pretending everything is OK, or just wishing it away. This is what has caused the current fourth wave here in some Canadian provinces.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:51   #2738

Boat: Sceptre 41

Oh boy, here we go...

Quote:
they were never going to escape from their covid prison
I think the important statement is " their covid prison".

(emphasis added)

At least here in BC, it has never been a prison. We always have had option to travel, but prefer not to. Our choice... the preferred one for us and NOT forced.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:58   #2739

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
What amazes me is that going on two years after the fact, and 2,735 posts in this thread, people have still not given up on corona. The only place it's still a problem is on internet forums, media sites and in politics. Otherwise most people have moved on.

Yeah, our friends from Canada never did get down here to their boat. And now they got a new kind of politics - vaccine politics and the people with a problem with that are the ones that got vaccine, believe they are in some higher echelon of society, and sit around complaining on internet forums blaming their problems on the people that could care less and have moved on.

After waiting for our friends from Canada last year, and it became obvious they were never going to escape from their covid prison, we sailed our boat across Superior and Michigan and down the river system to the Gulf. We spent all last winter in the Bahamas. Never had a problem with corona, and neither did anybody else we met unless you turn on the so-called "news" and soak it all up. Our boat is on the hard in Miami and we're going back to splash her in November, this winter we're going to Mexico.

Us Canadians can't get south because of AMERICAN politics not Canadian... We can travel to the U.S. just for some reason not by boat!
Old 04-10-2021, 10:04   #2740

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Us Canadians can't get south because of AMERICAN politics not Canadian... We can travel to the U.S. just for some reason not by boat!
Or by land. But for reasons not explained, the USA has never closed the border to air travellers.

So in the case of CC's friends, it would be the American border controls which prevented them from going on the trip, not any Canadian "Covid prison."
Old 04-10-2021, 10:06   #2741

Why is it that Americans look north across the 49th and get confused while we Canadians look south across the 49th and understand?

Is it the weather - or something they put in the water down there:-)?

Let's all not bother to respond or explain. The problem is one we cannot fix!

TP
Old 04-10-2021, 10:27   #2742

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:

I think there is a possible explanation for the dichotomy that has emerged in the population: the pro-vaxxers (most of us) and the anti-vaxxers or pandemic deniers (the others).

Many of us, including me, don't know anyone who has had a serious case of Covid - and the REALLY serious cases, and the deaths, are hidden away out of sight in our hospitals. However, 28,000 people have died in Canada and over 700,000 in the US - more than have died in any war the US has ever been involved in since they shed their colonial shackles.

It seems to me that we pro-vaxxers are largely concerned about the effect the pandemic is having on our medical and other social systems. Not only are our hospitals and ICU's overflowing with Covid cases, but other important treatments are being delayed or cancelled. Knee and hip replacements, cancer surgery, and a myriad other processes have been put on hold while our systems deal with Covid. People are waiting three days in Emergency rooms, or dying, waiting for attention. Nurses are leaving the profession by the thousand because of exhaustion and abuse. The pandemic is real, and the damage is real - it's just not terribly visible - unlike the great plagues of the past where people were dying in the streets and the corpses had to be dealt with by the neighbours.

The deniers seem to look around them, check with their friends and families, see no problems, and extrapolate that there is no problem. Perfectly understandable. Yes, the percentage of Canadians and Americans getting seriously ill and dying of Covid is small: less than 0.1% of the population in Canada and a little over 0.2% in the US - but it's still enough to cripple our medical, social, and economic systems - and some of us are very concerned about that - not just our personal experiences.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:31   #2743

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Quote:
You clearly have no connection with the Canadian reality. Spend a little time looking at Alberta or Saskatchewan right now where hospitals are over-flowing with cases, and ICU patients are running nearly 200% above capacity.

One thing is correct though, part of this is due to "Corona politics." It's the politics of pretending everything is OK, or just wishing it away. This is what has caused the current fourth wave here in some Canadian provinces.

Old 04-10-2021, 10:45   #2744

Quote:

I think it is more pernicious than "...just wishing it away..." because some of the American AND Canadian politicians are making it harder to utilize known, factual ways to avoid spreading the pandemic. The same bozos who are against mandating anything, including safety measures, like vaccines and masks. Oops, sorry, they are the same ones using mandates to effectively STOP using those same life saving measures.

A healthy society will result in economic success. A non-healthy society will negatively affect economic recovery. Yes, there is a link, but it ain't the one they're preaching.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 04-10-2021, 10:50   #2745

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Why is it that Americans look north across the 49th and get confused while we Canadians look south across the 49th and understand?

Is it the weather - or something they put in the water down there:-)?

Let's all not bother to respond or explain. The problem is one we cannot fix!

TP

'Cause most Canadians travel and are attuned to international affairs. Most Americans are not. There's too much going on domestically.

Most Canadians (Edmontonians and Newfoundlanders excepted) live within 200 miles of the Canada - US border. Most Americans do not. Specifically and generally, the border is important to us, not to them.

The elephant is not always aware of the effect on the mouse when he rolls over - but the mouse certainly is (for those of you old enough to remember Justin's father).