Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2020, 07:37   #226

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Canadian boating - Great Lakes and Atlantic region

Lewisporte Marina is opening up cautiously. But, the province is still locked down. They are planning to move from Alert Level 5 to #4 on May 11th, but it looks like the quarantine requirement remains. And now there’s this message from their Ministry of Health:

“If you do not normally live here, they you have to have some specific (and approved) reason for coming here. … If you’re coming here because you have a seasonal home, and your permanent address is somewhere else, or you are coming here for a vacation, then I’m afraid this year is not the year for you.”

They say more info will be forthcoming on what this all means, but it’s not sounding great for us “come from aways.”

https://youtu.be/-lkdL-fwOh4?t=1322
Old 04-05-2020, 09:52   #227

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
... And now there’s this message from their Ministry of Health:[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3]

“If you do not normally live here, they you have to have some specific (and approved) reason for coming here. … If you’re coming here because you have a seasonal home, and your permanent address is somewhere else, or you are coming here for a vacation, then I’m afraid this year is not the year for you.”...
Pretty harsh and bad choice of words I think.
Maybe one can explain to them that boats move and boats are also a "permanent" residence. Do they control the borders and do you have to provide the said "approval" at the ferries"/ airports?
Old 04-05-2020, 10:14   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Pretty harsh and bad choice of words I think.
Maybe one can explain to them that boats move and boats are also a "permanent" residence. Do they control the borders and do you have to provide the said "approval" at the ferries"/ airports?
Apparently they are tightening border controls. I'm awaiting the further detail promised by the minister, but it would be pretty easy to institute a fairly tight clampdown.

It is an island, after all, and they already do it around agricultural products (although it is to exit the island). There are only a few points of entry for everyone except those who can take their personal boats there. And that is no small crossing.

Hopefully his "year" quip was not to be taken literally, but I am getting more serious about making this a motorcycle season, instead of a sailing season.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:34   #229

Boat: 1974 Pearson 26

Geez, you may be right. I just bought my first boat and was planning to hang up my motorcycles for this season to figure out how to keep the boat headed in a straight line....might not be my year to execute that plan. And, I can't go home to Newfoundland for a visit!
Old 04-05-2020, 10:40   #230

Quote:
Lewisporte Marina is opening up cautiously. But, the province is still locked down. They are planning to move from Alert Level 5 to #4 on May 11th, but it looks like the quarantine requirement remains. And now there’s this message from their Ministry of Health:

“If you do not normally live here, they you have to have some specific (and approved) reason for coming here. … If you’re coming here because you have a seasonal home, and your permanent address is somewhere else, or you are coming here for a vacation, then I’m afraid this year is not the year for you.”

They say more info will be forthcoming on what this all means, but it’s not sounding great for us “come from aways.”

... but your boat IS your permanent residence, right? So that should have some weight.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:45   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
... but your boat IS your permanent residence, right? So that should have some weight.
Maybe ...

My boat is my only home, but my legal residence is still in Ottawa. All my documents show this, so it's going to be hard to prove my only actual home is the boat.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:43   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Quote:
Maybe ...

My boat is my only home, but my legal residence is still in Ottawa. All my documents show this, so it's going to be hard to prove my only actual home is the boat.
Mike: Is your boat where you permanent reside or the place you reside during "boating season"?

Which Province is stating the restrictions and guidance? Ah, that be NFL

It appears that Province is only availing entry to permanent residents for non-essential travel purposes. Discouraging visitors and second residencers is the New Normal.

The Stay At Home, Stay Near Home is and will be the Golden Rule.
Old 04-05-2020, 14:18   #233
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

I phoned Robert Houze, the owner of IMS marina at Iroquois today.
The marina remains closed to customers.
They may now do work in the yard, but customers cannot go on their boats.

(There are two sailboats at the dock and one camper in the yard - they over-wintered and these are their residences.)

In Ontario, there has been a slight opening of some businesses and construction industries. What happens after this depends on improvement in the public health numbers.

Stay safe, everyone!
Old 04-05-2020, 16:45   #234

Travel Ban for Those Entering the Province of Newfoundland Comes Into Effect Today

May 04, 2020

The travel ban on all people arriving in Newfoundland and Labrador from outside the province comes into effect today.

The provincial government says as of today, the only people allowed in the province are:

– Residents of Newfoundland and Labrador;

– Asymptomatic workers and individuals who are subject to the updated exemption order that came into effect on April 22nd;

– People who have been permitted entry to the province in extenuating circumstances, as approved in advance by Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Janice Fitzgerald.

Those entering must prove they are residents by showing a valid ID.

These include a government of NL driver’s license or photo identification card with address of principal residence and one of a valid MCP card; valid NL Motor vehicle registration certificate; 2018 or 2019 CRA income tax return identifying Newfoundland and Labrador as their province of residency; or bank/credit card statement with NL address.

Those who do not have government of NL driver’s license or photo identification card must show the same from another provincial, federal or state jurisdiction and one of the others like valid MCP as mentioned above.

Health Minister John Haggie says if you do not normally live in the province, you need to have some specific reason for coming here, but documentation to prove that will be needed.

He says that could include medical or health reasons, compassionate grounds, or being an essential worker.

Haggie says if you’re coming for a vacation or to visit a seasonal home, then this year is not the year for you.

Further clarity around the travel ban is expected this week.

The document outlining the special measures can be found here:
https://www.gov.nl.ca/covid-19/files...Travel-Ban.pdf

So I guess Montanans are a no go there.
Old 04-05-2020, 18:58   #235

Thanks Montanan. So it's pretty clear I'm persona non grata in Newfoundland for now. I can hear that motorcycle revving up as I type .

Old 04-05-2020, 22:16   #236

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Some info from Shelburne,N.S. & Shelburne YC regarding current restrictions to arriving pleasure boats.
Shelburne is a favourite Customs Port for boaters arriving from south of Canada via the east coast. / Len

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2687...group_activity
Old 05-05-2020, 04:04   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Some info from Shelburne,N.S. & Shelburne YC regarding current restrictions to arriving pleasure boats.
Shelburne is a favourite Customs Port for boaters arriving from south of Canada via the east coast. / Len

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2687...group_activity

Thanks for this, but any chance you can post the info, or the original government link? You have to join FB to see the content.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:48   #238

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Thanks Montanan. So it's pretty clear I'm persona non grata in Newfoundland for now. I can hear that motorcycle revving up as I type .

Mike, you always looked like the personification of an 'extenuating circumstance' to me.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:15   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Mike, you always looked like the personification of an 'extenuating circumstance' to me.

Uhmmm... thanks? I think .
Old 05-05-2020, 05:18   #240

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Thanks for this, but any chance you can post the info, or the original government link? You have to join FB to see the content.

Seconded. Looks like you have to be a member of the FB group it was posted in, as I can't see the content either, I just get the group landing page.

Tags
boat, boating, great lakes