Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2020, 08:19   #31

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’
Re: Bahamas - EMERGENCY POWERS (COVID 19)(NO. 1) ORDER, 2020 ???

Are you speaking from actual knowledge? I have yet to read of returning US boaters being required to quarantine if there are no exposed individuals aboard. If we are we can just fly the yellow flag and keep moving. I not heard of quarantined vessels being required to stay in one location: most places want you to get the hell away from them! Not stay close and come ashore when you get sick.
Old 21-03-2020, 08:26   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Nope, but obviously the purpose of a quarantine is to determine if there has been an exposure or not.
It’s not to punish, but to make you stay in place longer than the incubation period, to keep from spreading an infection.
Just saying if my destination was Jax, I’d stay off shore and check in at Jax.

But none of us know, just what we hear, like you staring that the Bahamian Government will lock your in and not let you leave. I don’t think there is a historical precedence for that, to not allow entry, yes of course there is lots of precedence for that, but to not allow foreigners to leave? I don’t think I’ve heard of that, they usually had rather you be gone of course.
Old 21-03-2020, 09:34   #33

Check the thread here about Guatemala. It looks like there is an exit ban there for those wanting to leave by boat. You can still leave by road, not an option in Bahamas. Many things that used to be inconceivable are now within the realm of possibility.

I posted there asking for clarification.
Old 21-03-2020, 09:42   #34

Boat: 35' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
To: *Realize*

If you can, maybe go to St.Petersburg? There is no Covid there at all. Miami is the current Florida hotspot...
Hillsboro & Pinellas counties (Tampa/St.Pete)- 54 confirmed
Old 21-03-2020, 09:44   #35

563 total cases in Florida. 11 deaths.
Old 21-03-2020, 10:20   #36

Guatemalan ports are closed and you cannot leave by boat. It would be really bad to have to leave your home behind to get to a place with good medical care.
Old 21-03-2020, 10:23   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonali99 View Post
563 total cases in Florida. 11 deaths.
My home town, Albany Ga has 50 something cases and 5 deaths. Very high mortality rate, but the population by and large is in very poor health, diabetes and smoking etc are rampant.
They know exactly who patient zero is and the CDC is apparently in route to study the spread of the virus.
Patient zero flew in to attend a large funeral, and from there it spread of course.
Old 21-03-2020, 10:38   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Nope, but obviously the purpose of a quarantine is to determine if there has been an exposure or not.
It’s not to punish, but to make you stay in place longer than the incubation period, to keep from spreading an infection.

But none of us know, just what we hear, like you staring that the Bahamian Government will lock your in and not let you leave. I don’t think there is a historical precedence for that, to not allow entry, yes of course there is lots of precedence for that, but to not allow foreigners to leave? I don’t think I’ve heard of that, they usually had rather you be gone of course.
The only way I could see someone becoming trapped in a country is if the country they were in ordered them to leave and their own country wouldn't take them in. Apparently, that's already happening with deportees from the U.S. to Guatemala.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/sto...tation-flights
Old 21-03-2020, 10:44   #39

You can leave Guatemala apparently, you just can’t go by boat. This is as per the thread here.
Old 21-03-2020, 15:30   #40

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
People here in George Town have called BASRA and the Defense Force and gotten the same response.
However I would assume that won’t last long, I’d get close to a place that you like just in case your told stay in place.
We are leaving George Town Sun morning early even though the wind is adverse for us because I suspect private boat travel to be restricted as well.

If your going to the Raggads bring some salad! We are anchored at Jewfish cut on the backside and leaving for Water Cay in the morning (Sunday) as the wind should be slightly north of East making for a great sail. But since you say the wind is adverse you must be heading north? Or maybe to Calabash bay.
Old 22-03-2020, 12:37   #41

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Check the thread here about Guatemala. It looks like there is an exit ban there for those wanting to leave by boat. You can still leave by road, not an option in Bahamas. Many things that used to be inconceivable are now within the realm of possibility.

I posted there asking for clarification.
The mood here in Guatemala is interesting. There is nothing stop you from leaving except the exit stamp in your passport. Who cares about a zarp etc? There is no agent to help you as they are on vacation. I guess you just leave for the US and never come back. Five days in a good boat.
Old 22-03-2020, 13:19   #42

Quote:

Yes harbors are routinely shut from entry and exit due to adverse weather. And it has been historical custom to ban all travel so as to effect quarantine.

Quarantine may be used interchangeably with cordon sanitaire, and although the terms are related, cordon sanitaire refers to the restriction of movement of people into or out of a defined geographic area, such as a community, in order to prevent an infection from spreading.

FYI, a ship that is placed under quarantine is supposed to fly the Lima signal flag. A mixture of the yellow and the black quarantine flags of old.

The plain yellow flag ("Quebec" or Q in international maritime signal flags) probably derives its letter symbol for its initial use in quarantine, but this flag in modern times indicates the opposite—a ship that 'requests free pratique', i.e. that declares itself free of quarantinable disease, and requests boarding and routine port inspection.
Attached Images

Old 22-03-2020, 13:48   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave852 View Post
If your going to the Raggads bring some salad! We are anchored at Jewfish cut on the backside and leaving for Water Cay in the morning (Sunday) as the wind should be slightly north of East making for a great sail. But since you say the wind is adverse you must be heading north? Or maybe to Calabash bay.
We moved over to Long island, motor sailing, once wind got over 20 kts had to tack to make any way, even motoring.
Old 23-03-2020, 10:30   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I will call it rumor at this point, but I’m hearing that inter island sailing by private vessels is no longer allowed, which in my opinion is logical.
However does anyone know, have a link kind of thing to this?
Old 23-03-2020, 10:54   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Are you speaking from actual knowledge? I have yet to read of returning US boaters being required to quarantine if there are no exposed individuals aboard. If we are we can just fly the yellow flag and keep moving. I not heard of quarantined vessels being required to stay in one location: most places want you to get the hell away from them! Not stay close and come ashore when you get sick.
Here's the stupid thing about the testing. You can't test unless you have symtoms.
You can't know if you have it till you do as it can take several weeks for symtoms to show.
Some system, eh?

Tags
Bahamas, emergency, enc