Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2023, 05:14   #31

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: Solar chargers & BMS cutoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood View Post
To be clear, I don't have any objection to your multiple buss approach, though not how I would or have gone about building systems. The issue is the difference between turning something off vs disconnecting it. They are not the same, and I believe both standards require a disconnect on certain events. ISO specifically allows multiple contactors for different busses, and although ABYC doesn't call it out, I don't see why it wouldn't be acceptable as long as it behaves as specified. The key is that each needs to be a contactor, defined by ISO as a switch or relay.

BTW, I'd be interested in seeing the test report on the Victron testing of the on/off function. Would you have a link to that?

I hear the Victron multi a relay clicking when the charge or load is cut off, in charge mode i hear even two. for the staged inverter its the primary relay that switches it on or off, it is used as normally open relay so if power gets cut it switches the staged/boost inverter off too.
I will check what happens with pass through, if i remeber correctly from stress testing its get shut off too.

the multi is a hybrid LF Inverter so only part is used to charge and invert its fully used, a pure LF is 99.9% the same both ways just inverted for the charge function.

victron offers 10 year warranty and a profesional BMS via Can is switching its charger on/off several times a day, so logical that more then 10000times tested, also out in the field now as Multis out there running for more then 10 years. i am not aware of a public test report but saw one at Studer in switzerland when visiting the factory.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 12:03   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
I hear the Victron multi a relay clicking when the charge or load is cut off, in charge mode i hear even two. for the staged inverter its the primary relay that switches it on or off, it is used as normally open relay so if power gets cut it switches the staged/boost inverter off too.
I will check what happens with pass through, if i remeber correctly from stress testing its get shut off too.

the multi is a hybrid LF Inverter so only part is used to charge and invert its fully used, a pure LF is 99.9% the same both ways just inverted for the charge function.

victron offers 10 year warranty and a profesional BMS via Can is switching its charger on/off several times a day, so logical that more then 10000times tested, also out in the field now as Multis out there running for more then 10 years. i am not aware of a public test report but saw one at Studer in switzerland when visiting the factory.

Ok, so you have no idea what the clicking sound is, nor what’s being connected or disconnected.

And based on hearing yours click a few times per day, you conclude that it has been tested by Victron to 10,000 cycles

And you conclude that it meets the intent of a Disconnect Device in ISO and ABYC.

None of this sounds like good reasoning or sound engineering.
Old 02-10-2023, 12:45   #33

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood View Post
Ok, so you have no idea what the clicking sound is, nor what’s being connected or disconnected.

And based on hearing yours click a few times per day, you conclude that it has been tested by Victron to 10,000 cycles

And you conclude that it meets the intent of a Disconnect Device in ISO and ABYC.

None of this sounds like good reasoning or sound engineering.
Nothing of what you interpreted i have written, all wrong...read and try again
I have an insured and by surveyor checked iso compliant installation, thats fact.
If you are interested get the victron multis curcuits layouts and check which relay it is and which curcuit does what.
For me i stress tested it and it did exactly what it should and requested and surveyor like that too, so case closed.
Look at victron smart BMS integrated, its done the same way via the assistent.
What you have is doubts without proof and trying to twist facts and interpret whats not there.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 17:28   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Nothing of what you interpreted i have written, all wrong...read and try again
I have an insured and by surveyor checked iso compliant installation, thats fact.
If you are interested get the victron multis curcuits layouts and check which relay it is and which curcuit does what.
For me i stress tested it and it did exactly what it should and requested and surveyor like that too, so case closed.
Look at victron smart BMS integrated, its done the same way via the assistent.
What you have is doubts without proof and trying to twist facts and interpret whats not there.

We will just have to agree to disagree that turning off chargers and loads is the same thing as disconnecting them from the battery.

What ISO standard did your surveyor determine your system complies with?
Old 02-10-2023, 18:36   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Cells and a source are still very much in flux. But since they tend to be a long lead item, I should probably make a decision sooner rather than later!
Currently I am finding myself looking at EVE 280 cells, probably in a 3p4s configuration.
With regard to the active balancer, I am likely to follow the route it sounds like you did. Build and install using passive balancing, and if a problem develops it is inexpensive and easy to remedy.
3P4S…why would you do that, there is no redundancy, make 3 12v batteries with their own BMS and T fuse, if 1 has a problem, there are 2 left.
Look at the complication in this thread when people treat a BMS cutoff like a normal everyday event, treat it like a fuse…it should never happen.
Read what sailorboy1 wrote.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, solar