Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-09-2020, 07:54   #556

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: Merged LiFeYPO4 1000Ah Winston prismatic cells and all electric galley...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulstue View Post
Victron denies this. You are not using the device as intended by the manufacturer, thus loss of warranty.

Some of my expressions are inaccurate, sorry, foreign language. But at least you know what I mean, that counts.

Is the macro and the relay necessary or just a precaution or to avoid having to set it manually each time? As far as I understand the manual, can these settings also be made via Bluetooth or Colorpanel? My hope is to be able to do without generator and shore power as far as possible after the conversion, so this would be the basic setting. But after the phone call Victron is out anyway.
Well then, no need to discuss further, I guess. If you go with a different product, there are different options.

You can design your circuit as you wish.

Warranty is not affected, they have to deliver to the specs. There are 2 AC inputs, even with "dirty" frequency, voltage, current as from a generator, or crappy shore connection in a 3rd world country, they have extra settings to deal with this.

AC input is AC input, no matter if it comes from a nuclear plant, a gas turbine, a water turbine, a wind park, solar panels, generators or even inverters, like grid-tied inverters Victron itself sells btw and encourages to use them in series to a quattro for island / offgrid installations. It does not matter. As far as the waveform is ok, the frequency is in the range, the voltage is OK, they have to work, and they do.

I don't know who you have asked, but I guess it was a sales person, not an engineer.

I am using the unit exactly as intended by the manufacturer, respectively as an inverter and as a charger, and I am using only features, that the manufacturer has implemented and advertised (power assist, power control) .
Old 11-09-2020, 09:44   #557

CNB, do you think it's more useful the Bluetooth module or the Touch Display for the REC BMS?
I saw that you installed a bigger display using Raspberry.
Do you advice to buy the Bluetooth module?
Has the Touch Display more functions compared to the App?
Federico993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:36   #558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico993 View Post
CNB, do you think it's more useful the Bluetooth module or the Touch Display for the REC BMS?
I saw that you installed a bigger display using Raspberry.
Do you advice to buy the Bluetooth module?
Has the Touch Display more functions compared to the App?
Cannot comment on that, I dont have the BT module.
The touch display is only a read only display, you cannot configure / change any settings with it. Read the user manual of the BT dongle, if it has something on topp of it.

My setup is 3 years old, there was no BT module around nor CAN integration into Victron.

In the beginning of the thread is my components list somewhere.

I like the display, but it is a long wire to route through the boat. You can extend it by a serial cable, but it also needs extra power supply cords.

I would definitely recommend the programming cable with the software, you can then change all settings with a windows notebook, and also do firmware upgrades.
Old 11-09-2020, 15:12   #559

Thanks for the feedback! Using the Bluetooth module, the battery pack parameters such as voltages, current, temperatures, state of charge and health are displayed. There is also an alarm pop-up that informs you in case of any system error or alarm, containing its diagnostics. You can set charging voltage and current and save log files about the system.

I will buy the PC software for sure, but I think the Bluetooth module would be more useful than the LCD touch.

I am really insterested in the Raspberry solution which allow me to check the Victron Inverter/Charger, Solar and the Lithium cells through the REC BMS!
Old 12-09-2020, 04:36   #560

Boat: L42

CatNewBee what are you currently using for your settings on your victron and BMS for cell voltages?

Thanks.
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:15   #561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
CatNewBee what are you currently using for your settings on your victron and BMS for cell voltages?

Thanks.
Quattro is set to 14.4V Absorption, shortest time, 13.5 FloatClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200912_160846.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	223255Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200912_160958.jpeg
Views:	215
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	223257Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200912-161050.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	223258
Old 17-09-2020, 04:21   #562

CNB, I am going to buy the REC ABMS with the complete wiring (I'll ask for the fully connected interface cable), the additional temperature sensor, the Bluetooth module and the PC connection cable RS-485 with the Master Control software.
I'll buy the Bluetooth module since I would like to plug the BMS board to the Victron bus and check cells parameters through a Touch Display using RaspberryPi, as in your system. I really like it!
Do I need the optional Cable CAN (DB9 to RJ45) (6,40€)?
Plus I still don't know if the Precharge unit would be recommendable for the Multiplus Inverter/Charging. It would cost (27,90€), do you think I should buy it?

Do I need to ask for some pre-configuration of the BMS board?

Thanks!
Old 17-09-2020, 12:36   #563

Quote:
CNB, I am going to buy the REC ABMS with the complete wiring (I'll ask for the fully connected interface cable), the additional temperature sensor, the Bluetooth module and the PC connection cable RS-485 with the Master Control software.
I'll buy the Bluetooth module since I would like to plug the BMS board to the Victron bus and check cells parameters through a Touch Display using RaspberryPi, as in your system. I really like it!
Do I need the optional Cable CAN (DB9 to RJ45) (6,40€)?
Plus I still don't know if the Precharge unit would be recommendable for the Multiplus Inverter/Charging. It would cost (27,90€), do you think I should buy it?

Do I need to ask for some pre-configuration of the BMS board?

Thanks!
What exactly do you want to setup?

REC ABMS
COMPLETE wired CABLE (C/NC/NO contacts on both relays, opto coupler, WITH 2nd Temp sensor...)
Programming interface with software (RS485 USB cable)
BT MODULE (instead of touch display)

Not sure how you want to connect the RaspberryPi with the BT module, but probably doable. I have used the RS485 to USB programming cable with a dongle, that interrupts the Vcc (+) wire.

Another option is to use the CAN communication, then you need a Venus/CCGX (or raspberryPi) with CAN interface, and all devices connected to the RaspberryPi via VeDirect to USB adapters or MK2 interface, it becomes the brain for everything then. Then you need the REC Victron CAN firmware, the REC is configured as battery monitor into the Venus OS and controls all devices via the data interface. But I have not set it up that way and I am not familiar with the necessary settings.

Precharge unit is nice to have, i don't have it. If you want to use it, you need a separate solenoid only for the inverter after the precharge unit, that is controlled by the precharge unit and maybe a interface inbetween to adapt the output to the solenoid input...
Old 17-09-2020, 15:31   #564

Thanks for the answer, I would like to install it in the easiest way and if I have understood, you have plugged the raspberryPi on the cable for the REC external Touch LCD using a dongle.
Do you actually have a Venus/CCGX interface? Or are you using the RaspberryPi as Victron Interface?

Assuming this, having the Bluetooth module plugged to the REC BMS would be a problem and I would need to use the CAN interface.
How did you plug the Quattro to the RaspberryPi?

I still can't understand how to plug it the better way, but I thought it would be nice to have the Bluetooth module and the LCD touch that shows info as in your system.

- Is having the Bluetooth module plugged to the REC BMS and the Victron Cerbo GX plugged through the CAN cable, the easier way to have both Bluetooth module and the REC BMS info on the Touch LCD? Would I need the RaspberryPi too this way?

Could you provide a basic diagram with some details?

So, for the Precharge unit I should use a dedicate solenoid for the Inverter like in your system, it would be an expensive choice for me, since I planned my system using the Load bus solenoid for the Inverter as well.

Thanks!
Old 17-09-2020, 15:53   #565

The RS485 is a serial BUS interface, in contrast to a RS232 serial interface, that is a point to point interface. What it means is, you can have the dongle and the usb interface connected in parallel (except for firmrare updates).

My VENUS/CCGX runs on the RaspberryPi as firmware from a SD card. You cannot have 2 CCGX in the same system, and I don't have another CCGX or Venus device.

Now to the wiring.

The Victron world is evolved over decades, they started the integration with point to point serial communications using RS232 5V interfaces, called them VeDirect with VeDirect to USB adapters, than introduced serial bus interfaces RS485 to connect multiple devices to each other (inverter, multiplus, quattro) and called it VeBus, and the dongle MK2/MK3 USB interface. Finally they have gone with the CAN Bus interfaces, BT, LAN, WLAN to complete the zoo.

So what do you need then. You need per VeDirect device a dedicated RS232 5V USB cable with proper plugs to the Victron component you want to attach, you need only Rx, Tx and Gnd, NO Vcc, otherwise you would fry your USB hub or worse, the Victron interface! On the BMV you need to decouple currents on the Rx and Tx by adding some inline resistors to not interfere with the measurement on the shunt by a loop.

For the Inverter, use the MK2 USB interface cable. To get them on the Pi, I use a active 12V powered USB hub, it powers the Pi, the touch screen, all interfaces, a GPS mouse etc. The Victron devices are automatically resolved and recognized by the firmware, the REC interface is done by own programming, also all additional sensors if you want to leverage the capabilities of the pi.

You find the Firmware for the Pi on GitHub for download and install on a SD, also all sources and explanations how extensions should be made.
Old 18-09-2020, 13:56   #566

Thanks for the prompt and detailed answer!

So, you just have the RaspberryPi, not a Venus device. What version of RaspberryPi are you actually using? I was reading that the RaspberryPi 4 still isn't working with the CCGX/Venus software.

Is the diagram below correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diagram.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	223697  
Old 19-09-2020, 08:56   #567

Almost.

All USB go to the USB hub, and the Output goes to the USB Input of the Pi. I use a RaspberryPi 4 with 4GB RAM, works well with the RPi4 Image from the Victron forum / git hub. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200919_175503.jpeg
Views:	146
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	223755Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200919_174437.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	223756

The REC is the programming interface cable, RS485 serial bus to USB, NOT RS232 TO USB.

The Quattro does not have a VEDirect interface (RS232) , but a VEBus interface (RS485) , I use the original Victron MK2 to USB interface here.

WLAN stick with external antenna, because I use the passive cooled armor housing made of aluminium around the Pi, that affects the onboard wifi range (Farraday cage).
Old 19-09-2020, 12:00   #568

Thanks for the pics! They are really clear

Perfect! The RaspberryPi 4 is great, will it work with the 8Gb ram version?
I wonder if I can use the RaspberryPi 4 as a PC, running OpenCPN and some LAN devices in addition to the Venus software.
What is the higher resolution compatible with the Venus software?
I have read that you had a 13" screen at first and then you put a 7" screen, is it due to some issue with the bigger screen?
I think I would install a 12" screen or something like it.

And what is the difference among the Victron MK2 and MK3 to USB interface?

I won't install the REC Bluetooth module, I guess with the RaspberryPi and the screen I won't feel the need.
Easier way
Old 19-09-2020, 14:06   #569

Quote:
Thanks for the pics! They are really clear [emoji2]

Perfect! The RaspberryPi 4 is great, will it work with the 8Gb ram version?
I wonder if I can use the RaspberryPi 4 as a PC, running OpenCPN and some LAN devices in addition to the Venus software.
What is the higher resolution compatible with the Venus software?
I have read that you had a 13" screen at first and then you put a 7" screen, is it due to some issue with the bigger screen?
I think I would install a 12" screen or something like it. [emoji2]

And what is the difference among the Victron MK2 and MK3 to USB interface?

I won't install the REC Bluetooth module, I guess with the RaspberryPi and the screen I won't feel the need.
Easier way
- 8GB should work too, but not necessary. The original Victron CERBO has much less (Beaglebone, stripped down to minimal, not sure if 512MB or 1GB, the hardware spec whitepapers are on GitHub)

- With dual boot, probably, on the same system, hadly. You will have to recompile all the stuff or run it in a virtual machine headless with VNC for the UI, too much trouble.

- resolution is not an issue, it scales up nicely. I have 2 RaspberryPi on board, one for playing, programming with the 13" (and had a 4k display too for a while, but took it home, too bulky) and also for running Kodi, Linux, OpenCPN, the 7" runs 24/7 with the Venus Pi firmware.

- don't know the difference of MK2 vs MK3, I have the MK2, probably some firmware quirks.

- I have both side by side running (REC display, CCGX), and I use both, as I use the BT interfaces for the Quattro, MPPT, BMV from my smart devices, and the CCGX display via VNC or web browser, I even use the MPPT (remote) display, and the BMV display. You simply have all data without switching around, but they are redundant.
Old 22-09-2020, 07:17   #570

Thanks again for the answer!

I am now looking for a raspberryPi 4 model B 4Gb, but I don't know what is the best 7" screen to use. What resolution are you actually using? And what screen do you advice to buy? Is your screen an IPS?
I can't find many hardware thread, mostly coding threads.
Have you plugged a 4G modem to the Raspberry?

Tags
electric, galley