Views:	45
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	234374  

BonesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:33   #47

Re: USCG routine safety check

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
They may not actually have requested it, but I showed it to them anyway because all the paperwork is together in the chart table and they did review it.

Eric
Can confirm they didn't (or shouldn't) ask you for insurance, that isn't policy. You probably just provided that instinctively without thinking. As you discovered with your fire extinguishers, minor variations won't get you a ticket as long as you're within the spirit of the regulations. Mom and pop (ie recreational boats) boardings by the uscg are generally pretty friendly, the goal isn't to "catch people," its to keep people safe on the water.

Drunk boaters are one of the biggest safety concerns so a high priority on a boarding. But unlike driving, you can have a beer or two. Also only the person in charge of the boat needs to be sober, and it doesn't need to be the owner.

I can personally compare uscg boardings to a boarding by the Dutch cg in high drug traffic areas and assure you that those are a different feel. In that case, there will be a 50 cal or 240b on the bow of the RIB and the BO will be much less friendly, although professional.
jrau18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:48   #48

Boat: Malo 37

The USCG Auxiliary will do complimentary vessel safety checks upon request.
You can request one on line by going to the USCG Auxiliary "I want a vessel safety check" The following link should get you there:

Return to V-Directorate's Home Page..

After you fill out the request form a vessel examiner will contact you within a couple of days to schedule an appointment.

The examiner will check Life Jackets, Registration and numbering, Navigation lights, Ventilation, Fire extinguishers, Distress signals (flares, horn, etc.), etc.
There is no penalty if your boat fails but you will be aware of items that need attention. On the other hand any of these items, if missing or inoperable can result in a citation if you are boarded by the Coast Guard.

If you pass, the examiner will apply a sticker in a visible location on the port side of your mast or the port side of your windscreen if you have a power boat.

Anthony LoPinto
USCG Auxiliary Vessel Examiner
alop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:35   #49

The dictatorship of insurance companies does and always bothered and irritated me. Insurance companies are private companies. Sure here are many and they are supposed to compete with each other. But making it mandatory to contract any of them gives them at a whole soveirng powers. Insurance that is mandatory is no insurance, its a tax ! If its mandatory and enforced by goverment, it should be also provided by goverment, with transparancy of requirements and financial results to the public. Also when it comes pay for damages : the big guy with many policies has much less trouble to get payed, because he can always threaten to cancel all the others if not.

Capt. Claus - ocean tramp of the eighties
clakiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:40   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
The one time I was stopped by CG, I was returning to home port after a 2000 mile outing, via Pensacola Bay. If you make it to the 3 Mile Bridge they won't stop you, but they caught me short of it. All was well until we got to the matter of a fire extinguisher. I did not have one. My argument was that I did not need one under Florida law and they insisted I did. Regs say you have to have one if you have a combustion engine. I pointed out that I do not have a combustion engine and the electric motor is under water where it pretty much can't burn. Well what about the galley? Sorry, all electric. He made a phone call and was told to stand down on that issue. He was primed to find another when he noticed a camera. There are several on my boat to gather footage for a documentary. He suddenly got very courteous and left. To avoid future issues, I bought a fire extinguisher, but my brother tests it every time he visits, rendering it useless. Maybe a red water bucket labeled "fire" would do.
The Sun King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:02   #51

They asked for ID? I'm not sure you have to provide that...?

I was boarded in international waters sailing to Mexico. At daybreak we saw this grey ship that seemed to be following us. Our Sat Nav (imagine that!) wasn't working so hailed them asking about "the ship in the general location of Lat x long". They ID'd themselves as the USCG so I asked if they could give us a position check. They replied "sure, we'll send it over with a boarding team"
The lieutenant was so seasick when they boarded his face was literally green looking! They seemed concerned about guns going into Mexico.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:04   #52

A few years ago I crewed for a skipper taking his boat from San Diego to Blaine, WA. Brookings, OR was meant to be a quick stopover to refuel. As we reached the fueling dock, the USCG came by and boarded for an inspection. They seemed courteous but did find some faults that needed to be corrected before we departed. What was intended to be a short stop, ended up to be several hours of looking for parts, mostly current fire extinguishers.
desertsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:19   #53

I was checked by the CG in the Keys a few years ago. They asked for ID, I didn’t have one. They insisted I had to have one, lectured me and then let me go. On the pink carbon copy of the boarding report, on the back in fine print it said “providing a photo ID and /or social security number is optional”. I wonder if the forms are still the same?
Flawoodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:20   #54

Boat: Chris Craft Dory 22'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Reading through the new fire extinguisher rules, I'm noticing something a bit stupid. If I buy cheap disposable extinguishers, then as long as they look good, gauge says they're good, etc. they can be as old as I want and they're fine....
Disposable extinguishers still fall under NFPA 10 inspection requirements. The part that relates to disposable extinguishers:

F.7.2.5.1 Disposable and nonrechargeable fire extinguisher
models have specified maximum useful life cycles and should
be replaced at the interval identified on the nameplate
NNBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:43   #55

Boat: Sea Ray Sundancer 300DA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNBill View Post
Disposable extinguishers still fall under NFPA 10 inspection requirements. The part that relates to disposable extinguishers:

F.7.2.5.1 Disposable and nonrechargeable fire extinguisher
models have specified maximum useful life cycles and should
be replaced at the interval identified on the nameplate

For non-rechargeable the expiration date is 12 years from date of manufacture and it is stamped on the bottom of the cylinder.

AND

"The USCG may make inquiries, examinations, inspections, searches, seizures, and arrests upon the high seas and waters over which the United States has jurisdiction, for the prevention, detection, and suppression of violations of laws of the United States."

So any US flag/registered vessel anywhere
Any foreign flag vessel on US waters (200 economic mile zone not just the 12 mile)
Any foreign flag vessel with a "statement of no objection" from the flag country
AND any vessel refusing to identify the flag of the vessel, this is the narco ship boats/subs.

PHughes

USCG retired
hughespat57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:46   #56

In the UK and Ireland, MCA or CG respectively, only have advisory authority on private vessels unless serious safety issues with the boat or smuggling are suspected. I don't know about continental Europe though I believe the French are very strict about registration papers.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:58   #57

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughespat57 View Post
For non-rechargeable the expiration date is 12 years from date of manufacture and it is stamped on the bottom of the cylinder.

AND

"The USCG may make inquiries, examinations, inspections, searches, seizures, and arrests upon the high seas and waters over which the United States has jurisdiction, for the prevention, detection, and suppression of violations of laws of the United States."

So any US flag/registered vessel anywhere
Any foreign flag vessel on US waters (200 economic mile zone not just the 12 mile)
Any foreign flag vessel with a "statement of no objection" from the flag country
AND any vessel refusing to identify the flag of the vessel, this is the narco ship boats/subs.

PHughes

USCG retired
Anyone getting upset over a USCG inspection needs to get their head examined. It is a service for the boaters benefit.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 13:14   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I've been boarded by the USCG several times. Each and every time, they have been polite, courteous and helpful.

I'm all for the Coasties, they don't just stop boats for inspections, they are involved in a lot of stuff. They do a grand job !!! and they deserve our respect, support and admiration.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 13:21   #59

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I've been boarded by the USCG several times. Each and every time, they have been polite, courteous and helpful.

I'm all for the Coasties, they don't just stop boats for inspections, they are involved in a lot of stuff. They do a grand job !!! and they deserve our respect, support and admiration.

The same goes for the dept. of natural resources, or whatever it called in your area. and for that matter cops. Nobody is out there to nail the good guy.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 15:32   #60

Boat: 1978 PS Mariah 31, #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnerman View Post
Christian Williams has a very enjoyable YouTube channel where he takes you along on his single-handed cruises from Los Angeles to Hawaii & back. (He also has two great books which I have read...)

In the video below at 0:30 he gets boarded for a routine USCG inspection while on his first trip to Hawaii. It is funny when they want to cite him for not having a "Throwable Type IV seat cushion" readily available. (Who am I going to throw it to when I am all alone on the boat...??)

Cheers

Exactly!
I have one, but it’s buried deep in the V-berth storage. No reason to have it out unless I sail with people onboard. Rare occurrence.
I single hand.
LarryDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety