Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2021, 13:38   #31

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: USCG routine safety check

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmat View Post
I believe the other thing the Coasties look for in my area (Great Lakes) is that the sewage discharge valves are locked, since the whole lake basin is a no-discharge zone.

We have a bag of those plastic numbered traceable seals they use on electric meters and customs-bonded cargo containers. One goes on the overboard discharge valve when we're in no-discharge waters, with the serial number, date, and co-ordinates noted in the ship's log.

Yes, that's definitely checked in some places. I've got no Y-valves on my heads (both go directly to the tank), so I just keep a bright orange ziptie on the macerator seacock holding it in the off position as well as keeping the macerator breaker off. That would require 3 distinct actions in 3 different places to dump the tank (open valve, turn on breaker, hit dump switch), so it qualifies just fine as being locked out.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 13:39   #32

Boat: Trans Pacific Eagle 40

About 7 years ago, I had a similar experience. They did not ask for insurance, but asked me to tell them our current lattitude and longitude. I had 8 people on board my 39 ft sailboat and all (except myself) had been drinking. I make it a point to not drink at all when I'm operating a boat. One went down below and my wife showed them the documentation, registration, flares, fire extinguishers and discharge warning stickers. One stayed topsides with me and I showed him the 10 lifejackets I had in my cockpit locker. As soon as he saw two organized bags, with offshore approved life jackets (each with a working strobe light), his whole body seemed to relax. I told him I had a 50 ton captains license, but these were friends out for an evening dinner cruise, not a charter. He didn't ask to see my license and didn't even ask to see my safety briefing checklist (which I give to everyone, even non-charterers) or other commercial paperwork. Even though my guests had obviously been drinking, they were respectful of the process and the Coasties themselves. All in all, it was a great experience and I respect the hell out of the USCG.
Capt Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 14:28   #33

Boat: Hunter 46

To prepare yourself for a USCG vessel inspection I maintain a safety checklist and inspection requirements on my boat.

https://wrseascouts.files.wordpress....tion-sheet.pdf
Preparing for a USCG Auxiliary Courtesy Inspection
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 14:47   #34

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
1/2 way between Cuba and Haiti would seem well outside of the USCG jurisdiction. Who's Coast Guard was this??
USCG has authority to board any US flagged vessel anywhere in the world, and vessels of any flag in US waters.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 14:54   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Reading through the new fire extinguisher rules, I'm noticing something a bit stupid. If I buy cheap disposable extinguishers, then as long as they look good, gauge says they're good, etc. they can be as old as I want and they're fine. But if I buy better ones that can be recharged, they have to be inspected annually or they're crap. Guess that means it's time for a fire extinguisher audit on my boat...
This is the reason I have two small disposable fire extinguishers to satisfy the Coastguard, and then a huge re-fillable one to actually put the fires out.
Old 04-03-2021, 18:37   #36

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
USCG has authority to board any US flagged vessel anywhere in the world, and vessels of any flag in US waters.

Plus those of any nation that has signed an agreement.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 18:44   #37

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Thanks to OP, I decided to check my flares. Well, though the boat is a 2015 the flares the previous owner had expired in 2004, and 2008 probably from his previous boat. I am in the Channel Islands where the OP is from and I am going sailing tomorrow so I went to WM and updated the flares. They can fine you up to $1000 for having expired flares....OUCH. My negligence..

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 18:49   #38

Rules say you need to keep the original documents on the boat. I keep the original in my safe and only a copy. Has anyone had problems with the coast guard with showing copies v original?

Abe
Old 04-03-2021, 20:21   #39

Boat: 1977 Bodega 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
Rules say you need to keep the original documents on the boat. I keep the original in my safe and only a copy. Has anyone had problems with the coast guard with showing copies v original?

Abe
Nope, I showed 'em a copy and they were fine with that.

Eric
EricJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 21:27   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
Nope, I showed 'em a copy and they were fine with that.

Eric
Thanks Eric

Abe
Old 04-03-2021, 22:35   #41

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
1/2 way between Cuba and Haiti would seem well outside of the USCG jurisdiction. Who's Coast Guard was this??
USA.
They said that they are allowed to board any vessel carrying US flag anywhere.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:06   #42

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

well, we've sailed upthe entire east coast of the US adn Hawaii and Puget Sound/San Juans and never been stopped by the USCG. The only time we were stopped was by the Westchester County Police on the Hudson checking our cruising license and our visa.

He didn't bother with a safety check, saying, You blue water cruisers ahve so much safety equipment that I don't even know what the ahlf of it is adn if you've sailed here from Denmark - you're going to be OK

carsten

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:30   #43
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
One more thing to add to the list. When I was boarded for a safety check they also ask for another placard besides the oil discharge notice. I don’t remember the exact wording but the placard needs to be near your trash can and it basically says “I promise not to throw any plastic overboard”.
I had never heard of it and didn’t have one, but they let me slide with the promise that I would buy one the next time I was at West Marine.

Al, S/V Finlandia
That would be the MARPOL placard. Might also need a posted waste management plan depending on boat length
CHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:40   #44

I have sailed on the Chesapeake for 50 years and two years ago was pulled over by the USCG for a safety inspection. It was quick and easy. The 80’ cutter stood off while the rib borne boarding party did the work. The cutter was on a two week cruise from their home port in New Jersey. The boarding party was polite and professional but didn’t seem to know much about sailboats. That was the first tine I had ever experienced an on the water inspection from law enforcement. Maryland water also have State DNR patrol boats and Homeland Security Border Patrol boats are both active. I have seen CBP officers walking the docks of Annapolis marinas on “routine patrol” as they described it to me. It was a stroke of good fortune as we had just returned from Bermuda and were headed to BWI to check in at that CBP station as the app was down.
Laxlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:11   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingSeaGypsy View Post
Maybe it's a CA thing? I lived there for over 10 years and they demanded proof of insurance with cars when registering. Maybe boating is the same way?
USCG operates under Federal Law. They do not have jurisdiction to deal with local laws.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety