Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2022, 19:10   #1

Cruising down from San Diego to mainland mexico

Hi guys I'm planning to make a trip down from San Diego to Acapulco on a 34' catamaran. Im trying to keep my boat light as possible. What is the minimal essential gear I would need for this trip. I plan to use my laptop/tablet/ cell phone with open cpn for navigation. Do I need to carry anchor chain or can I get away with nylon rope for the anchor rode? Are there any coral or other things that can chafe the nylon anchor rode on the sea floor. I'm trying to avoid having to bring heavy chain to keep my boat light as possible. If I do need anchor chain, what is the minimal length I should get to be safe? 9I plan to get a west marine fortress anchor and a west marine lewmar delta anchor. Should I invest in a dedicated depth finder or can i use a fish finder like the Garmin Striker 4 with transducer as the depth finder?

We will have a three man crew and no sails so will just be motoring the entire way. I figure we will stop in Cabos and Puerto Vallarta to reprovision.

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice!
sailor4life7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 21:27   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Cruising down from San Diego to mainland mexico

You will need at least 10 ft of 1/4 inch high test chain--that's about 7 pounds. A danforth HT anchor will work better than the fortress or the delta. A fish finder is a depth sounder.

You will carry a lot more weight in fuel if you intend to motor. You will need enough fuel on board to motor 400 nautical miles, plus a 25% reserve.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 21:33   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I'm trying to picture this catamaran that is going to motor the whole way and needs such an extreme minimum of weight. Do you have two outboards or inboards? What kind of catamaran is this? Electric with solar panels?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 22:08   #4

Silly questions. Troll?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 22:19   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Ah, now I see, so I am guessing you finished your catamaran and you are going ahead with your plan for trolling motors and solar panels? What's wrong with sails may I ask?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 07:54   #6

No I'm not putting trolling motors. I will have a Honda 50 hp outboard that will be centrally placed and since I have a to carry a good amount of fuel I want to keep the weight down as much as possible. Also I can't use sails because I don't have a mast.
Old 13-03-2022, 09:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
You will need at least 10 ft of 1/4 inch high test chain--that's about 7 pounds. A danforth HT anchor will work better than the fortress or the delta. A fish finder is a depth sounder.

You will carry a lot more weight in fuel if you intend to motor. You will need enough fuel on board to motor 400 nautical miles, plus a 25% reserve.
Thanks for the helpful reply it is much appreciated! Are fish fingers like the Garmin striker known to be reliable enough depth sounders? Also with open cpn and other navigation apps on my tablet and phone do I really need a dedicated chart plotter as well?
Old 13-03-2022, 10:10   #8

Yes, fish finders are as reliable as marine depth sounders. The main thing you need to figure out is how to keep the transducer in the water.

You do not need a chart plotter. I sailed around the world with OpenCpn, and I now use the Navionics app on my phone as a backup when I deliver boats.
Old 13-03-2022, 10:18   #9

I'll take a wild guess that you need to bring 120 gallons of fuel (720 pounds) , and fill up twice.

You should also think about what you will do if your Honda dies. I'd take a 6 hp outboard as a backup.
Old 13-03-2022, 10:37   #10

Don't forget your TIP before you leave.

If you don't know what this is, you really shouldn't go.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 13:14   #11

Someone gave me a large 20' fiberglass panga. It would be too heavy for me to carry it on the catamaran but I could tow it behind me. I could leave the Honda 50 hp on the panga and get two Yamaha 9.9hp outboards for the catamaran. Or I could get a smaller dinghy. What do you guys think?
Old 13-03-2022, 14:17   #12

Boat: Farrier f27

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
You should also think about what you will do if your Honda dies. I'd take a 6 hp outboard as a backup.
I will say "when your Honda dies." Outboards were never built for a venture like this. Further, Outboards don't come close to operating well in any kind of sea state other than flat while mounted on a sailboat.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 14:25   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

If you go with an outboard at least make sure it's a long shaft.
Old 13-03-2022, 18:10   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sorry, but I don't understand WHY you are paying to have a sailboat built, and then not adding mast and sails? Would you be so kind as to explain? Thanks in advance.

It is a very long way from TJ to Acapulco. It is a service that most outboards are not really meant to deal with. It won't be pleasant, I'm afraid, but if you were to sail, it would be magic, it is a lovely run--off the wind, current with you.

Do not sacrifice the anchor. Do have some chain for it. It is your emergency brake. There is coral in Mexico.

There is a canal development north of Acapulco where you might be able to survive a hurricane, but one needs really good ground tackle, heavy enough to withstand a whole lot of force, because the force of the wind goes up by the cube of the speed: it is not a linear progression. Catamarans usually have a lot of windage, so much of the boat is out of the water.

Ann
Old 13-03-2022, 18:20   #15

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I did this sail myself (to la paz) and I can say there was a lot of favorable wind. So perhaps the OP has decided to mostly run on bare poles? Why not attach a kiteboarding kite? If you spread the lines wider, it can remain "stable" and you can "set" it like a sail it should do quite well.

Maybe.. you can pay to stay in marina or mooring and avoid anchor chain?? Also.. it's possible to use galvanized cable instead of anchor chain and will save a bunch of weight but still not chafe through easily, but has a bunch of disadvantages I won't go into. There is also titanium chain.

Finally: it is foolish to do this without a mast and sails.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, Mexico, san diego