Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2024, 16:35   #1

Catana Daggerboard

Hi All, I am looking for the technical designs for a Catana 42 Daggerboard or a manufacturer in Australia that can repair or replace one. Any assistance would be fantastic.
Ooroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 07:49   #2

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR
Re: Catana Daggerboard

I have a Catana 47 and am looking to pull a mold off my good one to make another for my boat which is broken.
I know the Catana 431 and 471 use the same boards.
The max thickness is 60mm and the width is 60cm.
We will make our board and mold here in Langkawi or Pankor Marina.

I met an Ozzie guy with a 472 here in Thailand who told me his insurers bought one in France and had it shipped airfreight to Thailand and cost $27000 all in. Pretty crazy
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 22:14   #3

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooroo View Post
Hi All, I am looking for the technical designs for a Catana 42 Daggerboard or a manufacturer in Australia that can repair or replace one. Any assistance would be fantastic.
We recently had new daggerboards built by a local fibreglass guy in Darwin using the daggerboard case as the form for the new boards. The new ones are a much more precise fit and don’t rattle.

Since you’ve got one daggerboard, can’t you just use that to create a form?

Any halfway competent fibreglass person should be able to do this for you. Or DIY.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2024, 01:54   #4

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

Gday Ooroo,

I am guessing you have a broken daggerboard, or a damaged one. Don't throw it away, if I was building you a new board I would really like to have a look at how the broken one was made and the laminate schedule of the old board. Even if the new board is built differently then you can at least know what was there.

Like Fxytxy said, you should be able to get someone local to make you a new board. It is not hard and if you are handy it is one of the more pleasant boatbuilding jobs to do - get some cedar and a power planer and get at it. But it sure aint rocket surgery.

One hint about daggerboards - if you get a new cedar one made, get the builder to build the whole thing 300mm too long and just before fairing, chop off the bottom 300mm twice, and then glue one 300mm section straight back on again with NO GLASS over the join. This provides a fuse. I ran into a rock about 8 months ago at about 7 knots (because I was an idiot and the autopilot had a malfunction - I should not have been using it in the channel) and I heard a huge bang, was worried like anything but found the hull was perfectly fine on diving and the daggerboard had only the tiniest little scuff mark at its aft edge but the bottom 300mm had gone. So I pulled out the board, it went to the shed, found my 23 year old spare tip I had made all those years ago - glassed it (it was a cedar blank) and then glued it on to the bottom of the board, fixed the scuff mark and the board was back in action again - all because I had a fuse from when I made the board - cut the bottom off your boards and glue them back on again to save your hulls and your boards from impact damage. Also cutting off the bottom of a cedar board and regluing provides a quarantine for any water ingress from chopping up the bottom of the board with less intensity that damages the glass but doesn't cause the fuse to break, and I have run aground before with some energy - the fuse will not break easily.

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catana