Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2019, 20:25   #1

Boat: 60ft Blue water cruiser
Sending a Mayday for Pirates

Hi all, I recently read that prior to pirates trying to board a yacht channel 16 was jammed by them playing music. In your opinion... what would be the best way to send out a Mayday? (SSB Radio methods to relay message passed the vhf area, Satilight Phone calling local authorities (best numbers to call?), SpotX sos message? What are other options you use?
Old 11-12-2019, 21:30   #2

Boat: Other people's boats
Re: Sending a Mayday for Pirates

I hadn't seen that story until just now, but I'd make the observation that there are other channels aside from 16. For example, you can send a DSC distress call with the "piracy or attack" message, try reaching other ships via channel 13 (bridge-to-bridge), or use the local coast guard frequency if in range.

A direct communication via satellite is always a good idea and, in waters where nothing else is in VHF or cell range, possibly your only option apart from shortwave. Your options (or numbers to call) will depend on just where on the planet you find yourself.
Old 11-12-2019, 22:09   #3

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by African Gypsys View Post
Hi all, I recently read that prior to pirates trying to board a yacht channel 16 was jammed by them playing music. In your opinion... what would be the best way to send out a Mayday? (SSB Radio methods to relay message passed the vhf area, Satilight Phone calling local authorities (best numbers to call?), SpotX sos message? What are other options you use?
I will take a punt and say that the probability of ever being in this position is minute, of all the members here just how many have ever actually found themselves in this situation? (Yes I am aware that there are a few that have but the number is extremely small) I would suggest that there are other far more pressing problems/probabilities than piracy.

Oh,I just noticed that this is your first post, so welcome and enjoy.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 11-12-2019, 22:18   #4

Wouldn't that vary by location? I'm sure cruisers north of Madagascar would welcome advice. Work within your skill areas. I plan on building and operating a directional GPS & GLONASS Jammer for use in international Waters in that situation. Positioning yourself windward of them before firing the orange smoke flares from the fishing rod holders and let fly the bear spray can contents :-)
Old 11-12-2019, 22:27   #5

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by African Gypsys View Post
In this case, clearly the best mayday technique is SOS by sound signals....a shotgun works great.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:08   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and belated welcome aboard the CF, Gypsys.

Old 12-12-2019, 04:41   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

best just call on the 24hr anti piracy hot line
00 60 3 2031 0014

https://www.icc-ccs.org/reports/2019...racyReport.pdf
Old 12-12-2019, 08:23   #8

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

If it really is piracy i suspect the only thing you will have time for is ether an epirb or dsc disstress. If I suspected a hostil boat approaching was a pirate I would set up the dsc call ready to go. What you need is an immediate response so should be an all stations bradcast which satphone is not so that would be my least favoured option. Also DSC and epirb continue bradcasting after you are boarded and give your location, that just may put them off. But as others have said this is about are rare jas winning the lottery so don't spend to much timoe worrying.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:38   #9

Boat: Island Packet 420

I had a close encounter with pirates when sailing in the Med, returning from Morocco to Spain. I stayed about 40 nm north of the Albanian coast to steer clear of iffy waters. Late in the afternoon, we encountered an Arabian fishing boat, about 30 feet, old, wooden boat, tending to some fishing buoys. We stayed clear, however, I suspect that they figured that they had some opportunity, since there were no other boats around and we were not so far away from them. At any rate, it was clear that they decided to pursue me, I suspect as a crime of opportunity. Their little boat's engine had a hard time catching up with my maximum speed of only 8.5 knots on flat water given that they decided to come after us when they were about 1/2 nm behind. We got on the VHF, channel 16, which was clear- and put in a call for assistance to anyone who could hear us. We got a Spanish Coast Guard station and we communicated our situation and lat and lon and a description of the boat that was pursuing us. Either their engine finally gave in or they heard us, either way, they quit their pursuit and when we could see from our radar that they were well over 5 nm from us, we told the Coast Guard they could stand down.

In the meantime, we had readied flare guns and big gaff hooks as our defensive weapons in case they got too close. We also agreed that if it looked like they were going to catch up to board us, we would ram them. My boat is pretty strong with 2 big anchors on the bowsprit and while I figured it would damage my boat, I was pretty sure I would much more severely damage, if not sink, their boat.

I would like to think that the VHF communication put them off. I can't say for sure, but given that VHF 16 is often busy in the Med, I would then have tried VHF 9 and VHF 21. I have an SSB, but I am not sure I could have raised anyone. At least the VHF, if they were listening, let them know they had been identified.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:48   #10
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

After you have confirmed it is truly an act of piracy (coming at you at high speed, brandishing visible weapons) and not just some friendly locals peddling food or trinkets...

1. Lock everyone in the cabin (and the pirates out)
2. Lift the little red flap on your DSC VHF, that you have connected to your gps or has it internal,and entered your assigned MMSI number, press and hold the button for 4 seconds.
3. Turn on all exterior light and loud hailer siren.
4. Barricade loved ones out of sight of the companion way.
4. Stand to the side of the companionway, with your machete, prepared to cut- off the first (and hopefully only) piece of human flesh that attempts to come through it.
5. Hope like hell you didn’t mistake the local authorities for pirates.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:49   #11

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_gal View Post
I had a close encounter with pirates when sailing in the Med, returning from Morocco to Spain. I stayed about 40 nm north of the Albanian coast to steer clear of iffy waters.
Huh? Albania is no where near the route from Morocco to Spain.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:57   #12
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
After you have confirmed it is truly an act of piracy (coming at you at high speed, brandishing visible weapons) and not just some friendly locals peddling food or trinkets...

1. Lock everyone in the cabin (and the pirates out)
2. Lift the little red flap on your DSC VHF, that you have connected to your gps or has it internal,and entered your assigned MMSI number, press and hold the button for 4 seconds.
3. Turn on all exterior light and loud hailer siren.
4. Barricade loved ones out of sight of the companion way.
4. Stand to the side of the companionway, with your machete, prepared to cut- off the first (and hopefully only) piece of human flesh that attempts to come through it.
5. Hope like hell you didn’t mistake the local authorities for pirates.
Another thing one could do, is throw about $20 in local currency in the cockpit, before barricading the companionway, and if the intruders board, yell “That’s all, we have, get off our boat”.

If they leave a bunch of fish, fruit, or vegetables, then you know you have not been approached by pirates, and you need to stop jumping to false conclusions.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:03   #13

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Welcome to our humble boards!

I'd go with an EPIRB... it's a Hail Mary that will definitely get the attention of others and hopefully bring help in a very short period of time. But as others have stated... rare... extremely rare.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:16   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Welcome to our humble boards!

I'd go with an EPIRB... it's a Hail Mary that will definitely get the attention of others and hopefully bring help in a very short period of time. But as others have stated... rare... extremely rare.
SAdly, not so rare between Grenada and Trinidad, where I go all the time...I know of a good few, and have experienced a Hortnblower moment myself...there are lots of theories. Rescue takes time, pirates don't.

Best advice, ....Keep them off the vessel at all costs, only make dangerous passages when you have a good stiff breeze and a good sea running! The heavier the weather, the more odds shift to the yacht...Sail at night if a short passage, no lights.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:20   #15

Could you provide a link to where you read about pirates jamming 16?

There are many unfounded rumors about the dangers of cruising and people are quick to believe and pass-on things like this. If this really happened, I'd like more information. If it didn't (or can't be substantiated), we should say so.

There are only a handful of places with pirate activity against underway boats - and they aren't places 99 percent of the people here will ever go.

And the 1% who do go to such places tend to have a lot of experience - including the experience to ignore an Internet forum's posts on pirate attacks
Closed Thread

Tags
grass