Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2019, 16:58   #31
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75
Re: Sending a Mayday for Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHullPaul View Post
I plan on building and operating a directional GPS & GLONASS Jammer
I'm unclear on how much good that would do if the Bad Guys have you in sight.

And if you get caught with that jammer, you may get several years of "free rent." If I knew you were jamming GPS/GLONASS, I'd call YOU the pirate.

It doesn't matter if you're in "international waters." Jamming GPS is illegal everywhere.
Old 12-12-2019, 17:08   #32
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by African Gypsys View Post
Hi all, I recently read that prior to pirates trying to board a yacht channel 16 was jammed by them playing music. In your opinion... what would be the best way to send out a Mayday? (SSB Radio methods to relay message passed the vhf area, Satilight Phone calling local authorities (best numbers to call?), SpotX sos message? What are other options you use?
Send a DSC distress call. It uses VHF channel 70. If you have HF, send a DSC distress call on the 8,000 kHz band.

If you want a countermeasure, carry several lengths of polypropylene line and cast it out astern (clear of your prop). It floats, and there's a chance it will foul their prop. (I'm assuming here they're in a motorboat. If they're sailing, I'd ask for their autographs.)

A 12 gauge shotgun is the best deterrent. I prefer rifled slugs - they'll punch a hole in most light hulls at a decent range.

The only pirates I've ever encountered called themselves Tax Collectors.
Old 14-12-2019, 11:52   #33

Last year we left Panama and headed for the Caymans. We originally wanted to stick closer to the coast and make our way to Rio Dulce but decided on the Cayman route due to reported piracy off Honduras and Nicaragua. We made a stopover at San Andreas where we met a sailor who was boarded and robbed of everything by 15 or so men in numerous pangas. After departing We were headed for the Caymans it was dark and we were running dark and stayed about 10 miles east of the usual route in hopes of not being seen. In the middle of the night we heard someone speaking Spanish on 16 and it was loud and clear so I figured they were close by. I tried hailing another boat that departed the same time as us but was unable to do so because the people who were on the radio started blasting Spanish music on the radio that continued for at least an hour. I didn’t think much about it until A few months later I read a story about a sail boat that experienced the same thing except they were pursued by a couple of boats. Fortunately for them they turned into the rough seas and were able to outrun them. What I have read there is a mother ship out there along with many pangas. Supposedly they are fishermen but also do piracy.
https://www.noonsite.com/report/hond...cy-april-2018/

https://www.noonsite.com/news/nicara...ia-april-2019/
Old 16-12-2019, 18:34   #34

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHullPaul View Post
Wouldn't that vary by location? I'm sure cruisers north of Madagascar would welcome advice. Work within your skill areas. I plan on building and operating a directional GPS & GLONASS Jammer for use in international Waters in that situation. Positioning yourself windward of them before firing the orange smoke flares from the fishing rod holders and let fly the bear spray can contents :-)
A flare pistol into a boat doused in outboard fuel works too ….
Old 16-12-2019, 18:50   #35

Boat: 60ft Blue water cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I will take a punt and say that the probability of ever being in this position is minute, of all the members here just how many have ever actually found themselves in this situation? (Yes I am aware that there are a few that have but the number is extremely small) I would suggest that there are other far more pressing problems/probabilities than piracy.

Oh,I just noticed that this is your first post, so welcome and enjoy.
Thanks for your first world opinion
Old 16-12-2019, 19:00   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
best just call on the 24hr anti piracy hot line
00 60 3 2031 0014

https://www.icc-ccs.org/reports/2019...racyReport.pdf
Thanks very much for this information.
Old 16-12-2019, 19:04   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trvlmedic View Post
Here is the link that will help everyone believe (or not) that this stuff happens.

https://thenakedcanadian.wordpress.com
Thanks very much for this. I don't ever see the point as to prove evidence to people (keyboard warriors) when asking a question. But thanks.
Old 16-12-2019, 19:11   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trvlmedic View Post
What a great question African Gypsys. I am currently within a few days of passing the Nicaraguan Banks where this occurred and am taking the following precautions. Because I'm doing it, doesn't mean it's right and I have a 32 year career in public service including carrying guns (but lets not go down the gun or political path with this post).

-Travel >100 miles offshore and >20 miles from atolls
-VHF (Channel 16 and 22) monitored in this area by USCG Cutters Patrolling
-Buddy boat very close proximity
-Lights out, AIS in receive only (no transmitting)
-EPIRB hiding location once activated
-Spare documents and monies hidden
-Dummy wallets and cell phones
-Iridium GO with regional USCG SAR Coordination centers numbers (the quicker you call them the more rapidly a UAV, Aircraft or Cutter can get to you; how do you think they have been capturing drug submarine traffic in record amounts)
-Trailing old halyards behind me with the hopes to take out their prop even though it may cost me a cleat.

I will say that I am rather disappointed with the naysayers that have responded to your appropriate question. The "it will not happen to me" attitude is the worst attitude you can have. There must be a lot of mathematicians here dealing with statistical analysis and probabilities as it relates to global criminal activities.

Just like an earthquake, economic crisis, winterizing your boat or home, etc.. The key is in preparation but don't overthink it and become paranoid. If you feel terrorized then the terrorists have already won. Just prepare like you are.
Thank you sir for your valuable input. Well written and all good points. This is why i created this post on CF.... People like you make this forum a reason to come back to. For everything else we have Facebook.
Old 16-12-2019, 19:16   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
When we were sailing the Pacific coast from Mexico to Costa Rica, off Nicaragua a fellow cruiser felt threatened by a local panga chasing him. Being a HAM he put out a distress call - which was picked up by someone at a US Air Force base in Panama. A couple of F-16's were scrambled on a "training mission" and took care of the situation. I wonder if those "pirates' " hearing has returned yet?

Scorpius, being steel, has half-pipes welded around the hull as rub-rails. I've been thinking about drilling lots of little holes in them, setting up an igniter system, and hooking them to the propane tanks via a solenoid valve controlled from inside the cabin. French-fried pirate anyone? I got the idea from an anti-carjacking system being marketed in South Africa.

It's on the project list - along with 50 other things that will probably never get done as I prefer sailing to endlessly working on the boat. I guess I'll just have to count on ch. 16, DSC, my EPIRB, bear spray, the flare pistol, etc. Like most on here I refuse to carry firearms.
Brilliant, thank you.
Old 16-12-2019, 19:51   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Could you provide a link to where you read about pirates jamming 16?

There are many unfounded rumors about the dangers of cruising and people are quick to believe and pass-on things like this. If this really happened, I'd like more information. If it didn't (or can't be substantiated), we should say so.

There are only a handful of places with pirate activity against underway boats - and they aren't places 99 percent of the people here will ever go.

And the 1% who do go to such places tend to have a lot of experience - including the experience to ignore an Internet forum's posts on pirate attacks
''There are many unfounded rumors about the dangers of cruising and people are quick to believe and pass-on things like this'' Yes this is true however whenever i have sailed in pirate waters I have noticed boats (people) playing music over CH 16 for extended periods of time and it made me think to ask such a question. As you can see by the number of posts I am not a contributing factor to your pass on rumors you mention above.

''There are only a handful of places with pirate activity against underway boats - and they aren't places 99 percent of the people here will ever go'' Thanks for putting me in the 99 percent (box) of people. We not a yacht club-hopping showboat.... We prefer remote locations where most sailers tend to stay away from for obvious risk reasons.

''And the 1% who do go to such places tend to have a lot of experience - including the experience to ignore an Internet forum's posts on pirate attacks '' yeah... spot on,you made me think.... thanks for your valuable input. As Jim Carry would say ''Ok then, Bye Bye.
Old 16-12-2019, 20:40   #41

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

If vhs was jammed that would leave ham or some type of satellite communication.

I find the concept of trailing lines interesting. It would slow you down but might be effective. it would be more effective with floating line I expect.

If their boat is fiberglass or otherwise combustible would a flare gun ignite it? A fishing spear might be effective.

Thx-Ace
Old 16-12-2019, 21:42   #42

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
How do you all know that he OP is not a Pirate himself /herself and is asking you all what to do so that this info can be passed on...
Yes, Yes, this is it. The OP is probably a pirate!

I've seen SO MANY boats flying pirate flags...they're everywhere!

I've even seen men with bandanas on their heads and tattoos!

And girls in bustiers!
Old 16-12-2019, 21:57   #43

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

Boats flying a pirate flag, men wearing a bandana, women wearing a bustier and lots of rum. That sounds like fun. I have seen many drinking boats with that theme.

Everyone was having a great time until someone pirates some music. Then it's all lawyers and the fun is over. Napster RIP.

Thx-Ace

Drinking and posting is dangerous, just say no.
Old 16-12-2019, 22:33   #44
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by African Gypsys View Post
Thank you sir for your valuable input. Well written and all good points. This is why i created this post on CF.... People like you make this forum a reason to come back to. For everything else we have Facebook.
Thank you sir for your apt observation. Yes, CF has it's share of trolls and keyboard warriors who enjoy interrupting otherwise civil discourse with their cynical oppositional blather. I suppose they must be overflowing from Facebook, where they can't find any civil conversations with which to interfere. After you've been here a while, you'll learn who they are.

My best advice: don't feed the trolls. Ignore them. But I know all too well how that's a challenge. They sometimes prove my own fallibility.

Welcome to CF!
Old 17-12-2019, 02:44   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
Thank you sir for your apt observation. Yes, CF has it's share of trolls and keyboard warriors who enjoy interrupting otherwise civil discourse with their cynical oppositional blather. I suppose they must be overflowing from Facebook, where they can't find any civil conversations with which to interfere. After you've been here a while, you'll learn who they are.

My best advice: don't feed the trolls. Ignore them. But I know all too well how that's a challenge. They sometimes prove my own fallibility.

Welcome to CF!
Lol, thanks for the welcoming and level headed conversation. I look forward questioning and answering folk like you. Have a super day. PS. 8 months count down and we back on the water. Yeeeeehaaaa
Closed Thread

Tags
grass