Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2022, 11:52   #181

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'
Re: Official TS Ian/Hurricane Ian thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
S/V Illusion is in some alternative universe. Probably where his boat name came from. Instead of thanking his lucky stars he has to blast the media about overhyping things. Sad.

Yep, best just to not feed the trolls. Also there is an ignore option available to members.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2022, 12:00   #182

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
Not sure if this has been posted, have not been through all 12 pages. Apologies if it has or if it should be on a different thread, but seems relevant (I think!) and would like to hear your thoughts on the 2 anchors in tandem.
Probably wouldn't matter if your boat is hit by other boats, floating dock sections, or floating debris piles
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2022, 13:18   #183

Boat: Bristol 27

Highest wind gust recorded at Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel Buoy 44064 so far is 60.2 knots at 3:12 pm Eastern.

I would have never guessed we'd get that much this far up and away from the center.

Tides extremely high as well
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2022, 13:23   #184
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
Not sure if this has been posted, have not been through all 12 pages. Apologies if it has or if it should be on a different thread, but seems relevant (I think!) and would like to hear your thoughts on the 2 anchors in tandem.
I think that is good for a normal storm, for boats with anchors that are too small to hold the boat. In other words: really bad.

To face a hurricane, head into the mangroves. If you can’t do that, then better have a primary anchor that will hold the boat, so make sure you have a good, big, oversized anchor and use that all the time.
Also, add a Fortress anchor of the recommended size for your boat. Now you need a third anchor, this can be a spare primary anchor but I find that most boats that have one, it’s smaller than their primary anchor, which defeats the purpose, so a better deal is another Fortress anchor, one size UP from the one you already have. You can disassemble it for storage.

I’m sure if you Google “hurricane anchoring with 3 anchors”, you will get the info on how to set them up in a circle with every anchor at 120 degrees of each other. You need three extra lengths of chain, shackles a big ring or really big shackle etc.

If the eye of the hurricane is not going to hit you then you don’t really need this. With hurricane Isaias we just put our primary anchor out with some extra scope and a thick diameter snubber. It held fine during 3 days of very bad weather, with up to 70 knots sustained wind.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2022, 13:24   #185

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Just saw a before and after picture of Legacy Harbor Marina in Fort Myers... I am shaking my head. Did these boat owners actually think their boats would be fine? Even with insurance I think I would have been racing away somewhere... heck even up the river.
Old 30-09-2022, 13:53   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Just saw a before and after picture of Legacy Harbor Marina in Fort Myers... I am shaking my head. Did these boat owners actually think their boats would be fine? Even with insurance I think I would have been racing away somewhere... heck even up the river.

Ya, some smart ones, who actually knew what they were doing, and more importantly loved their boat did exactly that!

The day before Ian's landfall (absolutely no surprise on timing) there was a Parade of boats headed east in the Caloosahatchee River past where we live. Once east of the Franklin lock, pretty bomb-proof (no storm surge and very narrow waterway).

Several already headed back "downstream" today.

Don't care/want to sell it to the insurance company-- DO NOTHING.
Wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2022, 13:57   #187

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe10 View Post
Ya, some smart ones, who actually knew what they were doing, and more importantly loved their boat did exactly that!

The day before Ian's landfall (absolutely no surprise on timing) there was a Parade of boats headed east in the Caloosahatchee River past where we live. Once east of the Franklin lock, pretty bomb-proof (no storm surge and very narrow waterway).

Ok I do recall reading about the procession. The BEFORE pic must have been taken long before this week cause the harbor was full.
Old 30-09-2022, 14:02   #188

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe10 View Post

Of course, after Ian, they have a new problem: where to dock.

All of the marinas and probably most of the private docks sustained severe damage or were destroyed. Boatyards are full of knocked-over vessels.

There aren't many anchorages so protected I would feel safe leaving my bost for an extended period of time.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2022, 14:25   #189

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Lyon View Post
We are going to need to transit from Marathon to Saint Pete as soon as we can.

With our usual stops destroyed or at least not in a position for visitors we will have to be run during night. Its about a 32 hour trip for us.

My question is how long will the floating debris hang around ? We usually run a mile or two off shore but of course could go out further. From videos of destruction there was a incredible amount of roofs , trees , power poles ect washed out into the Gulf.

Our deepest sympathies for those on the lower west coast who have lost so much.
Sorry your question got lost in the melee. It is impossible to say how long floating debris will stay afloat, really. It depends both on what it is made of and how much air is trapped.

For a night passage, I'd suggest two people on watch, helmsman and one other with a spotlight, 2 hr watches. So you'll need a crew of 4, at minimum. Or pick a route where the depth is shallow enough that you can simply drop the hook to sleep if you get too tired. Mostly, the really heavy stuff sinks pretty quickly, but things like dead animals just go in and out with the tides, like stinky balloons. (Sorry, guys.) Portions of wooden things continue to float. Refrigerators float a long time. Some of the stuff from the Fukushima disaster floated clear across the Pacific Ocean from Japan. And, some of it was hard and bulky--as in, nothing you'd want to run into with a sailboat.

Ann`
Old 30-09-2022, 14:33   #190

Boat: Prout Quest 31

Does anyone know if the seafood shack marina in Cortez (bradenton beach) FL is intact?
I'm booked there in December and nobody answering phones... I'm supposed to embark from MD next week
jvolpehoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2022, 18:43   #191

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
As I said quite clearly, the effects hyped in the media are true of the eye path but they make it sound like the disaster is far more expansive. It wasn’t!

Not sure how much more clear I could have been.

Wow. From afar, I genuinely, actually, wish you had been right when you were posting this stuff earlier on this thread.
I am sure many 100s of thousands without homes etc do too.
And, I hope they rebuild the bridge to your home soon—
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:13   #192

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvolpehoo View Post
Does anyone know if the seafood shack marina in Cortez (bradenton beach) FL is intact?
I'm booked there in December and nobody answering phones... I'm supposed to embark from MD next week

I can’t say specifically, but a friend in Cortez suffered no mentionable damage at his canal house. The water was sucked out, so just some wind.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 06:50   #193

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Wow. From afar, I genuinely, actually, wish you had been right when you were posting this stuff earlier on this thread.
I am sure many 100s of thousands without homes etc do too.
And, I hope they rebuild the bridge to your home soon—

According to his profile, S/V Illusion is not a resident of Captiva. He lives in Lakewood Ranch, which is a cookie-cutter development in the boglands east of I-75. far from the Gulf of Mexico.

Captiva sustained severe damage. If he had been there, he would not have been making the asisine comments he did.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:31   #194

The bridge connecting Sanibel and Captiva to the mainland is damaged-- span in the water.

Probably a long time before vehicle traffic to them.

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/30/11262...-hurricane-ian
Wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 17:01   #195

Boat: Pearson Countess 44

After every major storm in Florida (and elsewhere), there are boats washed up on land. Sometimes they do substantial damage before grounding out. I have always wondered how liability is dealt with after big storms like Ian. Anyone know?
Bill Streever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane