Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2022, 18:35   #1

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'
Hypothetically....if I wanted to build a hurricane mooring....

Currently, our boat is behind a home in Vero FL. I previously thought it to be a pretty safe location being a narrow canal with some wind blockage. Wouldn't want to be there for a direct hit but Cat 1 / indirect 2 maybe. After seeing the carnage from Ian I am second guessing that hypothesis. The surge is a force to be reckoned with but also the anti-surge (Tampa bay turning to muck with all the water getting pushed out) is a risk as well.

I'm now thinking if a better hurricane plan is to anchor, have minimal windage and hope for the best. A few canals over from me there are some wider areas that are 500-800 feet across and open. It's not a good anchorage because of the soft soft mud but then I got to thinking, hypothetically, if someone were to put a mooring there that I could supplement to a good storm anchor, it might be a good option. Just as I was considering this hypothetical I noticed in the park behind my house the construction crew had ripped up this large steel who knows what that was buried underground.

Hypothetically if that were dropped into the mud and marked with my GPS so i could find it again diving...... could be a good anchor right? I wouldn't mark it with a buoy because I wouldn't want to risk the line getting tangled in someone's prop.
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 21:29   #2

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: Hypothetically....if I wanted to build a hurricane mooring....

A photo of what you want to use would help. I’ve got a Fortress 120 I could sell you. Some 1/2” chain and some Kodiak crab floats and you’ll sit out almost anything. The real problem after that is where to attach it on your boat.
Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, hurricane, mooring, wanted