Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2022, 10:56   #31

Boat: EDELCAT33
Re: Official TS Ian/Hurricane Ian thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspd204 View Post
We were supposed to close on buying our boat on Friday. It’s docked in a slip on Pass a Grille in St. Pete Beach. If anyone here is in the area and can give us sit reps as the storm nears, we would really appreciate it.

Attachment 264981
Attachment 264982

There are lots of mangroves in st Pete. If there is no way to haul the boat out, plan for a 4 - 8 ft surge, get the boat as close to mangrove cove, two anchor chain rode with snubbing lines, plan for 2 set of lines to break and slack two other set of lines to take over when the first are chafed. If all 4 fail then is a matter of how well the chain is attached to the bow for last defense. 0f course all sails taken off, lower or dismantle boom, take out any canvas or bikinis
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 11:06   #32

Boat: ‘04 Hunter 44AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
There are lots of mangroves in st Pete. If there is no way to haul the boat out, plan for a 4 - 8 ft surge, get the boat as close to mangrove cove, two anchor chain rode with snubbing lines, plan for 2 set of lines to break and slack two other set of lines to take over when the first are chafed. If all 4 fail then is a matter of how well the chain is attached to the bow for last defense. 0f course all sails taken off, lower or dismantle boom, take out any canvas or bikinis

Since we haven’t closed on it yet, all we can do is hope that owner take precautions.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes! I’ll let y’all know how she fares.
Old 26-09-2022, 12:04   #33

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Since we haven’t closed on it yet, all we can do is hope that owner take precautions.

I hope that boat is insured by the current owner. Maybe you could at least get him to also take the sails and canvas off. Keep you fingers crossed.
Old 26-09-2022, 12:39   #34

Boat: Planning an Island Packet for cruising/living aboard

Quote:

Might require a re-survey before closing. Would be worth the expense, IMO.
Depending on the final storm track and resulting impacts, of course.
Messing About is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 13:30   #35

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

One of our moderators is part of the emergency services network down there. His boat is somewhere safe, and they have been tucked down since day before yesterday. Scary.

Be safe and well, guys.

Ann
Old 26-09-2022, 15:12   #36

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Ian has the potential to be a real boat wrecker along the west coast of Florida.

Especially because of the 5- to 10-foot storm surge predicted around Tampa Bay lasting for a day or more. That means several tide cycles with a range that could reach 15 feet or more.

It's a puzzle I was tackling as I secured my sailboat in St. Pete marina, where one end has to be tied to cleats on the concrete dock. How do you accommodate the tidal range and keep the boat from smashing into things?

I am lucky enough to have a vacant slip to the east. I added a series of lines to those cleats with enough length to handle the rise and fall.

But lots and lots of boats have 10 or 12 feet of line between the dock and the stern. That could mean they'll snap line or end up on the dock in a large surge.

Also, many condo docks are not well protected. Big waves will be smashing into the boats. It could get very ugly.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 15:39   #37

Boat: Bristol 27

So another thing about these big strong Cat 4 type hurricanes that I forgot to mention are the Tornadoes.

I was at a lady friends place when Ivan came through maybe 15 miles inland but several times while walking say to get another beer my ears would pop due to pressure change and I would hit the deck!

My guess was a tornado passing close over head.

She was already camped out under the stairwell and wouldn't leave except for bathroom breaks.

I was in the living room listening to AM radio from Mobile, Alabama as the Pensacola Station got knocked out early. This on a battery powered little radio

Lots of folks were outside in the early stages watching the transformers blow which was a colorful site.

The storm beat up Pensacola for 10 hours. The weird thing was when I open the door to look the trees were going back and forth not leaning in one direction so the wind must have had lots of holes in it where there was super strong wind then much lighter wind.

I left early the next morning to check my boats and my apartment and barely made it around downed trees and power lines......

Ivan was a Cat 3/4 with 135 knot winds when it came in Pensacola Pass as I understand it. But it was HUGE!

Surge came through around 3 am.

Pensacola Beach was a whole other story. They got beat up bad and most moved which caused a housing shortage.

Many with less money ended up in FEMA Trailer parks. In trailers close to families with kids and pets etc as close as boats at a marina for months......

One thing I do remember is heating water for coffee the next morning at 4 am at one of my apartment's grills. I had some left over charcoal. I looked up and had never seen so many stars!

There was no power and no lights anywhere and the sky was clear after the hurricane passed.

So I had my coffee at the pool and watched the sky for a while.

https://www.rentcafe.com/apartments/...s/default.aspx
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 16:58   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I remember driving to the Miami-Homestad area about a week after hurricane Andrew blew thru' there in 1992.
I have a 3" thick photo album of the carnage.
Damaged and sunk boats were littered everywhere. Boats on top of boats, etc.
How many ?....impossible to say.....certainly in the 1,000's. Large, small, power, sail and everything in between.

I predict the boat carnage in Tampa will equal or exceed that.

Boat insurance premiums are likely to skyrocket.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 17:14   #39

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Boat insurance premiums are likely to skyrocket.
Hopefully not for those of us outside of hurricane areas. Unfortunately if storms like this keep trashing boats and we keep losing insurance companies and those that remain keep raising rates and becoming more reluctant to cover older boats, etc. then I'm afraid many of us may be forced out of boating (or forced to have only liability insurance and be out of boating if a major loss occurs).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 17:35   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

The issue with Tampa...as I see it...it is an enclosed bay. Hurricane Ian is going to be piling water up in there, and serious wind. So many things, can...and will happen, boats will simply rise above pilings, docks will break, lines will break, etc, then you'll start having one boat crash into another. There is simply nothing anyone can do while all this is going on, as people will likely be hunkered down somewhere.
Off course, the insurance companies will get smothered in claims for damage, but many boats will sink or get smashed beyond recognition. It will be quite some time, before insurance adjusters will arrive on the scene.
Then will come the clean up. All the sunk boats will have to be fished out of the water and taken somewhere, the gazillions of docks will likely need extensive repair, and so on.
It will take months, even years for some semblance of normalcy to return.

Without question, this will place a larger burden on insurance companies, and some will even fold, leaving you...the boat owner...outa luck.

I could not even project what this will do to boat insurance premiums elsewhere, but if I were a betting man, I'd say they will likely go up.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 19:30   #41

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Thanks for that perspective and those incredible photos, Thomm225.
In my mind, a suitable hurricane hold is nowhere near bridges, structures or marinas. Your pictures demonstrate why.
My idea of a suitable hurricane hole is somewhere at the end of a long flight away from the hurricane path.

Everyone must make their own decisions, but I'm not willing risk my life for a boat. I've lived most of my life in the hurricane belt and seen first hand what Cat 4-5 storms do. Anyone who survived one on a boat just simply got very lucky.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 03:29   #42
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

Global warming has had its effects. In the Pacific, typhoon Karding/Noru made a record by strengthening faster than any other storm to super typhoon status before hitting the Philippines.

Hurricane Ian strengthened faster than predicted. It appears it will hit Tampa Bay as a major hurricane. With rising sea levels, storm surges are that much greater. The precipitation that has already soaked the land will worsen the effects.

Insurance premiums will probably not affect those of us with good old boats as much as it will affect those shiny new bigger sailboats with less experienced owners, particularly those who financed, thinking this was some "investment" to compare to some other uses of their money. The same brands in the charter business in the Caribbean decimated by the spate of recent hurricanes will likely get socked in Florida.
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 04:41   #43

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
My idea of a suitable hurricane hole is somewhere at the end of a long flight away from the hurricane path.

Everyone must make their own decisions, but I'm not willing risk my life for a boat. I've lived most of my life in the hurricane belt and seen first hand what Cat 4-5 storms do. Anyone who survived one on a boat just simply got very lucky.
All you have to do is see one of these things up close and you would instantly know you would never want to try to "ride it out" on a sailboat.

As I said before, the trees appeared to be being shaken back and forth first leaning waaay over one way then the other.

Plus the tornadoes.

An apartment I almost moved to appeared to have been blown apart by a bomb.

Most likely it was a tornado.

https://www.pnj.com/picture-gallery/...area/15517835/
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 04:42   #44

Boat: Planning an Island Packet for cruising/living aboard

Ian’s eye has formed, just before landfall over SW Cuba. Photo courtesy of spaghettimodels.com

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1664278927.534148.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	265024
Messing About is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 05:24   #45
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

In 2004, I rode out Category 1 Gaston in my home at the time in Mount Pleasant, SC. A live oak branch broke in my backyard with a loud snap, fell 15' feet, and lodged about a foot in the sandy soil 10' from my house. The house shook. After the storm passed, there was no electricity or water for a few days. It was a bizarre sight: all the houses and street signs in my neighborhood were covered with wet, green leaves. The strong odor of destroyed vegetation was omnipresent.

I don't intend to relive that experience again, particularly not with a more powerful storm, and certainly not on a sailboat.
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane