Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2020, 16:12   #61

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: How a Shipwrecked Crew Survived 10 Days Lost at Sea

Not sure you can completely discredit the media but you do need to remember that most reporters are not sailors and the people they report on aren’t always forthright. Mix the two and you get reports that make no sense to anyone versed in the topic being written about.
Old 09-03-2020, 16:51   #62

In an effort to try to put some usefulness into this thread, I have had difficulty trying to find the absolute scientifically proven and approved recommendations as to the best way to survive the longest in the event of a tragedy like this one. I once did a lot of research on the USS Indianapolis which was sank in WWII where the crew treaded water for six days before rescue but there really is not a consensus as to what is the very best way to survive the longest. This should probably be the beginning of a new thread. Does anyone know of a reference where there are authoritative instructions for surviving ocean wrecks ?
preventec47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:03   #63

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by preventec47 View Post
In an effort to try to put some usefulness into this thread, I have had difficulty trying to find the absolute scientifically proven and approved recommendations as to the best way to survive the longest in the event of a tragedy like this one. I once did a lot of research on the USS Indianapolis which was sank in WWII where the crew treaded water for six days before rescue but there really is not a consensus as to what is the very best way to survive the longest. This should probably be the beginning of a new thread. Does anyone know of a reference where there are authoritative instructions for surviving ocean wrecks ?
Common sense! Before and after.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 15:24   #64

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by preventec47 View Post
This would depend entirely on what you had with you when the boat when down?
Nothing? hope you can tread water for many days.

Life raft and some emergency supplies - ration it and make it last

handpowered watermaker? ration your food (and water)

It simply will depend on many factors - a couple once shipwrecked off the Galapagos, got their raft and dinghy (wooden boat) in the water some supplies etc and managed 117 days - both more dead than alive when rescued - lived off booby birds, turtles and rainwater - but they made it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 16:29   #65

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Not giving up is one characteristic of disaster survivors.

Ann
Old 11-03-2020, 03:49   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

According to Mario Vittone*:
“... the average time to rescue at sea following a distress call with location data is 4.5 hours. You don’t need to take a class on how to ration the water between four people if you’re going to be picked up in time for dinner. You will not be trying to catch fish with your hands, or tackling seabirds that land on your raft or go mad drinking the seawater after weeks at sea. There is plenty enough boating safety stuff to learn without worrying about what to do if none of it works ...”
Why Most Sea Survival Training is Uselesshttps://www.soundingsonline.com/voic...vival-training

* Mario Vittone is a retired U.S. Coast Guard helicopter rescue swimmer, who for 22 years rescued boaters in distress ...
https://www.soundingsonline.com/author/mario-vittone

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 15:02   #67

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
“... the average time to rescue at sea following a distress call with location data is 4.5 hours.
It sounds like he is describing "coastal US" - and average response time when location is given. Get further out to sea, then depending upon which satellites are in your coverage area, and whether your epirb provides location data - it could be several hours before you're located; then time to send rescue units, or locate the nearest available help - and the rescue can be a day or more away.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 15:23   #68

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
According to Mario Vittone*:
“... the average time to rescue at sea following a distress call with location data is 4.5 hours. You don’t need to take a class on how to ration the water between four people if you’re going to be picked up in time for dinner. You will not be trying to catch fish with your hands, or tackling seabirds that land on your raft or go mad drinking the seawater after weeks at sea. There is plenty enough boating safety stuff to learn without worrying about what to do if none of it works ...”
Why Most Sea Survival Training is Uselesshttps://www.soundingsonline.com/voic...vival-training

* Mario Vittone is a retired U.S. Coast Guard helicopter rescue swimmer, who for 22 years rescued boaters in distress ...
https://www.soundingsonline.com/author/mario-vittone

try setting off you beacon halfway between the Marquesas and Hawaii - see if you are rescued within 4.5 hours. I might believe 4.5 days...............

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 11-03-2020, 19:33   #69

Boat: Schucker 436

Gordy mentioned average 4.5 hrs. Even if you aren't picked up immediately, if your EPIRB is gps equipped, someone is working on getting rescue equipment to you within a couple minutes of activating your EPIRB. If your old EPIRB is not gps equipped, expect longer position time due to orbiting satellites to give your position. If there aren't any merchant vessels close, you can expect a C-130 to locate you if you are beyond helo range. C-130's are pretty fast, then they'll get a ship to pick you up. I spent years tracking every EPIRB case in the US Jurisdiction.
RUSTYNAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 20:12   #70

Boat: TBA

Amazing that they lost their rigging with no one on lookout then a ship came up to them (.5 mile) before they saw it , no lessons learnt from the 1st mistake.

Hopefully they all sit back and learn from their mistakes,

No lookout 24/7
Non prepared boat with battery flying through the cabin and water/ food wiped out from one roll over

hope they don’t sail near me enough problems without 3 more to dodge on the water

I agree this all seems to stink when the coast guard reports different circumstances.
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:44   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
try setting off you beacon halfway between the Marquesas and Hawaii - see if you are rescued within 4.5 hours. I might believe 4.5 days...............
That 4.5 hrs. is some ones pipe dream.
Old 12-03-2020, 13:25   #72

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTYNAIL View Post
Gordy mentioned average 4.5 hrs. Even if you aren't picked up immediately, if your EPIRB is gps equipped, someone is working on getting rescue equipment to you within a couple minutes of activating your EPIRB. If your old EPIRB is not gps equipped, expect longer position time due to orbiting satellites to give your position. If there aren't any merchant vessels close, you can expect a C-130 to locate you if you are beyond helo range. C-130's are pretty fast, then they'll get a ship to pick you up. I spent years tracking every EPIRB case in the US Jurisdiction.
I believe you stand a good chance of early rescue if you are coastal. On passage - you are just out of luck unless there is a passing ship.

Old 12-03-2020, 14:05   #73

The USCG takes epirbs serious, A couple of years ago I had a call at midnight about one I had unregistered at least 14 years prior. I even lived at a different address and phone number. It went off, off the outer banks.
I think it had been stolen out of a shed. And activated by some dumb ass. I don't know the end of the story, I would have given it to some commercial fisherman which I'm sure is where it was..
Old 12-03-2020, 15:58   #74

Boat: a sailing boat

Very interesting read and I hope it will teach me a lesson.

Stuff like flying batteries, etc. you know. Basics.

Also the repeating story of passing ships indifferent to flares and smoke.

I think we could all benefit from better planning and better use of toys like epirb, ais/dsc personal beacons, InReach SOS, and such likes.

Why do we use mickey mouse marine flares if a new year show fire cracker makes so much more noise and light ??????????

To get broken is one mistake. Then to be unable to call out is another.

Thanks for sharing!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 11:49   #75

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
That 4.5 hrs. is some ones pipe dream.
It boils down to statistics and math. When someone says “average” without specifying “statistical mean” or “arithmetic mean” [pronounced arithMETic mean] it can lead to confusion.

It is entirely possible that half the rescues with Epirb activation take less than 4.5 hours, and half take more - possibly much, much more. This would make 4.5 the statistical mean - also called the “median”. The arithmetic mean (what most of us call “average”) could easily be much higher. Say you had 4 rescues that happened in 4 hours and 1 that took 5 hours and three that took 4.5 days. The statistical mean (or median) is between 4 and 5 hours (half before and half after), but the arithmetic mean is 1.8 days (total time divided by number of rescues.)
So while the CG stats may be correct, they may also be a bit misleading. The quote above was not clear. And let’s also remember that they are tabulating Epirb distress calls. The particular episode discussed in this thread does not enter into the equation.

I keep watch and carry an Epirb... and a sextant.
becrux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, lost, shipwreck