Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Emergency, Disaster and Distress (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f158/)
-   -   How a Shipwrecked Crew Survived 10 Days Lost at Sea (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f158/how-a-shipwrecked-crew-survived-10-days-lost-at-sea-230891.html)

GordMay 27-02-2020 03:36

How a Shipwrecked Crew Survived 10 Days Lost at Sea

The story of how three crewmen lived more than a week, in the middle of the Pacific, in a wrecked sailboat with almost nothing. On November 25, 2019, Chris Carney. and his two-man crew, Pete Brown and Jun “Sumi” Sumiyama, set off from Japan on their way to Hawaii in a 42-foot sailboat, the Coco-Haz III ...
It was December 19, and we were about a thousand miles from Oahu, Hawaii ...
https://www.outsideonline.com/240941...=pocket-newtab

StuM 27-02-2020 04:10

Re: How a Shipwrecked Crew Survived 10 Days Lost at Sea

I'd dispute the use of the word "shipwrecked" in this case. :)

Knot Safety 27-02-2020 04:17

Thanks for sharing that Gord. One never knows when life will go sideways on you

GordMay 27-02-2020 05:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuM (Post 3083432)
I'd dispute the use of the word "shipwrecked" in this case. :)

Please do. Will you cite your source(s), perhaps with twenty-seven eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with circles, and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was, to be used as evidence?

Rucksta 27-02-2020 05:31

" It was morning when it happened. I got my raingear on and went up on the deck to make some changes to our course. I stuck my head up, and I couldn’t believe it—the mast was gone.

Situational awareness?

Lodesman 27-02-2020 05:57

Yeah - three guys on the boat and no-one was on watch. I agree they weren't "shipwrecked." Lucky that they survived. Thanks for the link Gord.

Spot 27-02-2020 06:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordMay (Post 3083452)
Please do. Will you cite your source(s), perhaps with twenty-seven eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with circles, and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was, to be used as evidence?

You have alot of dang gall asking me whether they were shipwrecked or dismasted...;)

GordMay 27-02-2020 06:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spot (Post 3083494)
You have alot of dang gall asking me whether they were shipwrecked or dismasted...;)

After (stealth) dismasting, they were rolled/pitchpoled (unclear), and flooded.

svMarite 27-02-2020 06:39

Pathetic to criticize from behind your electronic screens. They were out there and they survived. Good job guys pulling it together and making it!

Lodesman 27-02-2020 07:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by svMarite (Post 3083511)
Pathetic to criticize from behind your electronic screens. They were out there and they survived. Good job guys pulling it together and making it!

Oh the irony!
I stand by my criticism - they had a crew of three on board but apparently didn't have anyone keeping watch at all during the night. The story is missing a lot of details, but from what was written it does seem they managed well with the cards that were dealt. They were lucky, in that the mast didn't smash a hole thru the hull while they slept, the hull didn't break apart after the tumbling, and the second ship saw them.

LakeSuperior 27-02-2020 08:20

On a nearly totally disabled yacht with limited food and water in the middle of the Pacific...oh yeah I want to stay with the boat and complete the voyage rather than get rescued.

I am sensing some mild embellishment (we're manly men) specifically made up for us guys on the couch and/or in front of the screen and keyboard.

robert sailor 27-02-2020 08:39

Quite the story, I'll give you that. I'd be inclined to double check the weather when all this was supposed to have happened.

Bill O 27-02-2020 08:47

Quote:

Gord,
Very funny to take part of the "Massacree" (aka Alice's Restaurant) into your reply. (after evidence you forgot "against us")

tarian 27-02-2020 08:59

Not to be pedantic but
shipwrecked = noun. the destruction or loss of a ship, as by sinking. the remains of a wrecked ship. destruction or ruin::biggrin:

Valmika 27-02-2020 09:16

Quote:

And a blind judge (or in this case thousands)