Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2022, 18:21   #16

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Re: Catalina 30 Missing Off Atlantic Coast

interesting reading

https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/...and-rescue.htm
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 02:23   #17
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
1. S&R would probably be spending time practicing the same moves anyways.

2. Do you really want worries of financial liability on your mind when considering whether to call for help? Do you want some dumb dad on an ill prepared boat drowning his whole family because he was afraid to call for help when he finally realized he was in over his head?

3. About half the people here can't even understand the difference between amp hours and amps, yet they cross oceans on boats relying on electrical systems they can't possibly understand. From my perspective, as an electrical engineer, this is irresponsible. I can't believe I share insurance companies with folks designing their own rigs who don't even know trigonometry. There is always someone smarter than you, are you sure you want some kind of stupidity fee for search and rescues? Be careful what you wish for.
This !!!
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 03:13   #18

Boat: Grand Soleil 42

Well, the boat is not rated for ocean, but do we know the quality of the skippers? Not arguing against the comments on tomfoolery, but everyone gets in over their head sometimes. I take a very very cautious approach, but perhaps I am incented by the fact that here in Italy, any act of negligence or foolishness receives not only a bill for the services rendered by the coastguard and other forces-of-order, but also a fine.
Forget to calculate the amount of fuelhours?
Running on batteries beyond their spec?
Missed (or didn't log) your engine maintenace?
Went beyond 6 miles without the necessary regulated preparations?
Have the wrong anchor type and weight on board?
All of these will result in a bill and a fine. I think it is good practice.
paul.devalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 03:22   #19

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
1. S&R would probably be spending time practicing the same moves anyways.

2. Do you really want worries of financial liability on your mind when considering whether to call for help? Do you want some dumb dad on an ill prepared boat drowning his whole family because he was afraid to call for help when he finally realized he was in over his head?

3. About half the people here can't even understand the difference between amp hours and amps, yet they cross oceans on boats relying on electrical systems they can't possibly understand. From my perspective, as an electrical engineer, this is irresponsible. I can't believe I share insurance companies with folks designing their own rigs who don't even know trigonometry. There is always someone smarter than you, are you sure you want some kind of stupidity fee for search and rescues? Be careful what you wish for.
Believe it or not a sailboat can move along just fine without electrical systems.

A compass and sextant continue to work even when you have zero amps coming out of your batteries.

The Skipper doesn't needed to know about amp hours or amps. That's for the endless discussions of electrical systems on CF.......

Magellan sailed the Pacific in 1519. He didn't have a clue about amps or amp hours etc
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 03:23   #20

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

...and who decides what is negligent or foolish ?

some cases may be obvious, but others are on the margin or a matter of perception. eg i feel i am quite competent to sail quite a small boat in bad weather. others may see this as foolish

it is a slippery slope to start down this road...leads us to the nanny state where we must ask permission & wear a life jacket before we set foot on a wharf, let alone...heaven forbid...something as dangerous as an actual boat

cheers,
Old 14-12-2022, 04:29   #21

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Believe it or not a sailboat can move along just fine without electrical systems.

A compass and sextant continue to work even when you have zero amps coming out of your batteries.

The Skipper doesn't needed to know about amp hours or amps. That's for the endless discussions of electrical systems on CF.......

Magellan sailed the Pacific in 1519. He didn't have a clue about amps or amp hours etc

The point was that we all have our own definitions of 'smart' vs 'stupid', or 'prepared' vs 'irresponsible'.

Thanks for helping reinforce that!
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 04:59   #22
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

"The Atrevida II did not have fuel or power, which made their radios and navigation equipment inoperable. The two men were able to get the Silver Muna’s attention by waving their arms and a flag."https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news...gon-inlet-n-c/

They certainly made one serious error in transiting or attempting to transit Oregon Inlet in N.C. - powerboats have difficulty with that one, it is not safe for sailboats.

Regardless of the boat choice, this is a good illustration of the error of depending on engine and electricity.

It would be an interesting test for the many debating the varieties of networked electronic navigation devices to turn everything off, including the engine, and try getting somewhere the old-fashioned way with DR, compass, paper charts and whatever else you carry.

On my own boat, I try to find electronic devices that run on standard AA batteries and not depend on rechargeable batteries or the boat's electrical system. I carry paper charts and navigation instruments. My good old boat actually has a useable navigation/chart table, a traditional feature that seems to be absent on some of the newer boats.
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 05:26   #23
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Nobody told them about those white things you hoist on sailboats?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 05:47   #24

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

fyi news report of the tanker that found them and the expanse of the search.

Edit: based on where they were picked up by the tanker, it appears they just drifted N for several days in the GS.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 05:49   #25

Boat: Pearson 323

I’m interested in hearing from captain and crew first. Everything else at this point is just noise.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 06:15   #26
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.devalier View Post
Forget to calculate the amount of fuelhours?
Running on batteries beyond their spec?
Missed (or didn't log) your engine maintenace?
Went beyond 6 miles without the necessary regulated preparations?
Have the wrong anchor type and weight on board?
All of these will result in a bill and a fine. I think it is good practice.

This must a contentious one and stop most people leaving the dock
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 06:52   #27
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjscottinnc View Post
I’m interested in hearing from captain and crew first. Everything else at this point is just noise.
Don’t hold your breath… chances are you won’t ever hear anything

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 06:55   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

A Catalina 30 is a well build boat. In the right hands and with a decent weather window, assuming they scooted between the GS and Hatteras, it is very capable of performing the intended route. Barring unknown, unreported problems, hard to understand why they did not come in the Chesapeake.

Every time someone on this forum posts to “just go” and that folks will “learn it by being out there”, please remember this thread.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 07:39   #29

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
The point was that we all have our own definitions of 'smart' vs 'stupid', or 'prepared' vs 'irresponsible'.

Thanks for helping reinforce that!
Didn't reinforce it at all but you did.

You don't need engineering knowledge of batteries to make your sailboat move or to cross an ocean.

Your example concerning batteries was just a bad example of what good seamanship is.....

Like I said that's manly important on CF for battery/electronics/electrical discussions
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 07:55   #30

Boat: Tartan 3800

[QUOTE=thomm225;3718531]Believe it or not a sailboat can move along just fine without electrical systems.

A compass and sextant continue to work even when you have zero amps coming out of your batteries./QUOTE]

We just had a thread on that. There were a surprising number of forum participants who thought that having a large number of GPS receivers aboard was sufficient preparation, and that trad nav skills -- DR and pilotage, let alone CN -- are a quaint hobby, rather like morse code or calligraphy.

Tags
catalina, catalina 30