Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2022, 04:57   #1
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet
Another Cape Hatteras Rescue

USCG rescues 3 adults and a teen off 41 foot sailboat Rojodan off Cape Hatteras in 40 knot winds and 8 foot seas. Use of sat phone facilitated rescue. Boat claimed to be sinking, engines and jib (?) inoperable. Looks like a catamaran.

Story: https://www.wnct.com/news/north-caro...cape-hatteras/
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 05:35   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Another Cape Hatteras Rescue

Not commenting on this. But getting a cup of coffee to watch the show!!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 05:56   #3

According to the USCG database, there is exactly one documented vessel with the name Rojodan, and it is a 2009 Lagoon 42. Seems to fit the picture and description.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 06:03   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another Cape Hatteras Rescue

Link not available in Portugal..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 06:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Link not available in Portugal..
In the interests of international participation, the relevant parts:

Quote:
CAPE HATTERAS, N.C. (WITN) -The Coast Guard rescued three adults and a 15-year-old from a sinking sailing vessel Thursday approximately 98 miles from Cape Hatteras.

The 41-foot sailboat Rojodan crew contacted Coast Guard Sector North Carolina stating that they had lost the use of both their engines and jib.

The Coast Guard was unable to tow the vessel because of the distance from shore and weather conditions with wind gusts up to 40 knots and sea swells up to 8 feet.

A Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew responded and hoisted the four mariners from the vessel that had begun taking on water.

source
Old 02-12-2022, 06:25   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for that HaywoodJ..
Doesn't the Lagoon have two windows/ports in the Hull.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	l42-ncz9718-web.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	459.8 KB
ID:	268244   Click image for larger version

Name:	R_20221202_143050.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	444.8 KB
ID:	268245  

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 02-12-2022, 06:46   #7
cruiser

Good setting for a disaster - gale off Hatteras. Weren't they able to go down the ICW - 48.56 I measurement? How high is the deck off the water?

Having a sat phone onboard makes for an easy rescue. Might also encourage an emotional crew mutiny. With no engine power and apparent sinking imminent in gale, I suspect some or all were scared shizzleless.

The mid-Atlantic USCG is getting lots of practice this year.
Old 02-12-2022, 06:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thanks for that HaywoodJ..
Doesn't the Lagoon have two windows/ports in the Hull.
It does, I think this is a 420, which frequently had white screens in the windows. There is a blur where I think the aft window would be, and certainly a small portlight aft of that as in the 420. Much harder to tell up by the bow, but the picture is not wonderful.

The CG data for the only vessel of that name (which is in no way conclusive) says manufacturer MIC = CNB, which is Lagoon, build year 2008, model year 2009, length 41', beam =24', which all tie together to make me suspect that is this vessel - but it is entirely armchair sailor supposition - what we are best at here on CF

I think this would a contemporaneous sister ship:

Old 02-12-2022, 08:11   #9

This is a story of multiple system mechanical failure and/or lack of knowledge on part of skipper and crew. not sea state or wind conditions.
JEB
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 08:21   #10
cruiser

Probably, but 40 knots and 8 foot seas will scare a lot of people, and almost all sailboats take on water in heavy weather. Does that mean the boat is sinking? Not if you pump it out. I would guess some of the crew wanted to get the hell off the boat in those conditions.

Maybe a sat phone is not such a great idea after all.

And these comments about armchair sailors. Hey, sometimes that means you are smart, safe, warm and secure, looking forward to some comfortable family fun aboard your boat in the summer instead of looking at a $150K loss for a December Hatteras rounding.
Old 02-12-2022, 08:30   #11

I was out on the water on Wednesday. It was gusts up to that but, no, it was not a sustained gale. It you look at the video you posted you can see that the ocean was not confused at all and those were hardly storm conditions. Again, mechanical failure can cause panic, but this was not that a boat was overtaken by a gale in the graveyard of the Atlantic. Sells papers and draws people to the news with a salacious headline, but really not a big story.
JEB
Old 02-12-2022, 09:09   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeywoodJ View Post
It does, I think this is a 420, which frequently had white screens in the windows. There is a blur where I think the aft window would be, and certainly a small portlight aft of that as in the 420. Much harder to tell up by the bow, but the picture is not wonderful.

The CG data for the only vessel of that name (which is in no way conclusive) says manufacturer MIC = CNB, which is Lagoon, build year 2008, model year 2009, length 41', beam =24', which all tie together to make me suspect that is this vessel - but it is entirely armchair sailor supposition - what we are best at here on CF

I think this would a contemporaneous sister ship:

That makes sense.. the mast is further forward on the 420 as well.

Old 02-12-2022, 10:32   #13

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

So there may be a catamaran floating out there looking for a nice home? What the US policy on Abandoned Derelict Boats?
Kd9truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 11:04   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebtrois View Post
I was out on the water on Wednesday. It was gusts up to that but, no, it was not a sustained gale. It you look at the video you posted you can see that the ocean was not confused at all and those were hardly storm conditions. Again, mechanical failure can cause panic, but this was not that a boat was overtaken by a gale in the graveyard of the Atlantic. Sells papers and draws people to the news with a salacious headline, but really not a big story.
JEB
Is that your boat in the video? Your past threads show you have a catamaran and were planning a voyage from Norfolk to the Keys.

BTW, you are misusing the word "salacious." Look it up.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:53   #15

No need to be so prickly Sailor. I did not intend my earlier posts to challenge your extensive knowledge and seamanship. I was simply pointing out that while the news can make these rescues that interest you so much seem like movies, often there are less exciting details that actually create the conditions for the emergency but those don't sell to readers or viewers. The conditions here on Wednesday, while spirited, were hardly what would challenge a boat like that without some other mechanical issue.
JEB

Tags
rescue