Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2020, 13:24   #106

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: WTB: 40-50' Queen aft cabin blue water cruiser

Robert Sailor is right. I apologize. The Contessa 32 is a tough little boat. I have always thought Tania Aebi was an extraordinary woman, sailor, and an extremely intelligent and gracious person. Her accomplishment changed the lives of many women, sailors and non sailors alike. It was not a stunt and I have the utmost respect for her and her voyage.
You can guess I don’t think the same about her dad. 28’ is a very small boat...

I guess my comments are about shattered dreams and shattered bodies.
I’ve worked for and personally built solid, seaworthy vessels. I’ve worked for builders, very successful companies, who produced fast, lightly built boats which were never intended for ocean voyages. Nor were they constructed to last a lifetime even with good care. They were designed and built for a market driven price point and they were built by the thousands. It was an unregulated industry.
They built a lot of stuff that doesn’t age well. Kinda self destructs.
Passenger vessels are inspected...well except 6 passenger, like it’s ok to let 6 people die. Now you have thousands of boats in conditions which range from seaworthy to junk. It’s not anything like planes. There is no FAA. It’s not even like commercial trucks. What we do have is the internet telling people to buy a boat because it will give them the one thing they do not have...freedom, independence. Give me your money, take a few lessons and off you go. I’m not in favor of mandatory vessel inspections nor licenses for sailing. You want to cross the ocean in a rowboat...fine. Just don’t bring a radio and ask the Coast Guard or a Merchant Mariner to risk their life to save you. I’ve seen silly boats cross oceans. What does that prove. Manatee biscuits float too.

My wife and I met a couple with three children in a plywood trimaran who were on their second round the world. The children had Polynesian names. I often think about them and wish I knew how life turned out for them.
He hit a steel buoy and I gave him ply, glass, epoxy and ring nails so they could carry on. They were so poor they were gathering periwinkles for food. Three of the happiest and smartest children you could ever meet.
People come to the forum for advice. I don’t want to crush the dream but neither do I want to see them perish. So throw stones at the friend of the manatees. We are used to getting run over and have the scars to prove it. But till then...
Happy trails to you
Captain Mark and his “Foster beer cans build better aluminum boats” manatees.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 06:12   #107
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

40'-50', a/c, watermaker, washer/dryer, $100,000, Bluewater boat. Unless someone has a $250,000 boat they are giving away not going to happen. For $100k you will get a major project and not a true open water boat. All the older pedigree boats in that size range sell for a lot more than $100k and still have 30 year old systems and electronics, old tired sails and rigging and need a lot of work. Someone should have told you this when you first posted so you could change your requirements and move in the right direction.
Good luck.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 18:32   #108

Boat: Gulfstar 41, Center Cockpit Ketch

I have an older 41' Gulfstar Ketch which is in good functioning condition, but is beginning to show its age visually. It does not have some of your wished for items, but does have a reliable diesel engine, just surveyed rigging, excellent sails, auto pilot, 6.3" headroom. Queen main stateroom, 380w solar, new batteries, Avon Dinghy with Merc OB new 2016 and is priced to reflect how it looks. Asking $40,000. A full repaint would certainly raise its value by at least 50%. Bill and Barbara s/v "Someday" Lying PV.
captchetco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 19:25   #109

Pictures and copy of survey?
Coconuts333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 19:38   #110

Good price, but need TLC and hauling. Bottom paint is aboard, sails are very good, lots of extra, rigging professionally checked, owner will works with you to introduce vessel which is in the Vallarta area at Marina Riviera La Cruz. Owner has sailed it Pacific Coast to Columbia - well tested. At 82 its your turn. Asking $40,00 S/V Someday, 41 ft Gulfstar. Contact boatstuffster@gmail.com.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:20   #111

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Haven't these people bought anything yet?
I can't remember if I even sent them my Down East 45.
Anyway, it's here for serious buyers, about $140,000 ish.
HOME
Old 11-09-2022, 00:15   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconuts333 View Post
Pictures and copy of survey?
Hi:
My wife sent you a couple of pictures. We have a few overall pictures such as those, but rarely have taken picture of our boat "Someday". Lots from the boat, and have many from the cockpit at various beautiful sites such as in BC, up the Columbia River from mouth to Idaho, all over MX and the length of Central America. Currently we are at our little farm in Oregon, and boat is in Marina Riviera on Banderas Bay. Will return there in November and will take comprehensive photos.

The only survey since 1992 has been annuals of rigging, the most recent in March 2022, which required replacing the triadic stay and main backstay. Triadic already replaced and backstay is supposed to have been replaced by North Sails of PV by now, but I have not heard that it has been completed. Will be done by them if not already. One of the mizzen mast chain plates needs further examination which will be done when we return to boat, but could be done at anytime if you are interested. Otherwise all standing and running rigging passed inspection.

Sails: 120 Genoa, new 2015, and always stowed below when not in use, no signs of wear;
160 Genoa; new appx 2013, excellent condition except some chafe at head leather.
90% Jib; has not been out of bag for several years, as I recall, it was somewhat dirty, but no appreciable wear. I think it dates back to the 1990s, but little used.
Storm jib: Old, used once many years ago, not sure of condition.
Main: New 2012, Stored below when boat left, except for right now, it is on boom. Excellent condition.
Storm main; same condition and use as storm jib, but used twice.
Mizzen: new 2014; lightly used, as boat sails well without it. Excellent condition.

Rig: ketch with "0 code" roller furling, furls from helm. All halyards and sheets, topping lifts and first reef in main can be done from helm seat. Easy single handed.

Entire boat, in, out and under needs repaint. Pettit Trinidad for bottom is on boat for when next hauled.

One thruhull, and transmission seals need replacing. I have parts and will be taking them to boat to install when returning in November. 4 anchors; all chain rode, and excellent power windlass. Very reliable Perkins 4-108. 50hp. Unused line, and other spares aboard. Extra tankage. Cruised full time from 2005 to 2013, then 6/6 until now except during covid in 2020. Lived aboard 1992 to 2005.

Any other Qs, just ask.

Tags
blue water, cabin, cruise, cruiser, water