Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2020, 06:14   #91

Boat: Oyster 46
Re: WTB: 40-50' Queen aft cabin blue water cruiser

I have a 1987 Oyster 46 that I have owned since 1995. This boat is ready to go for my needs as a day sailor on Lake Michigan. For Blue Water it needs a refrigeration upgrade. The rigging passes inspection every year and was new in 1995. I would consider replacing riggings again if again crossing any blue water. Original Perkins 82 hp diesel still purrs along, starts immediately and burns no oil. There argument for and against its replacement. Teak decks replaced in 2003 with a system of 12 large marine plywood pieces and the teak planks attached to those plywood pieces duplicating the previous look and patterns without all the hole in the deck. After they removed the old deck and filled all the holes. The new system does not offer nearly as many opportunities for failure. It was installed by Palmer Johnson in Sturgeon Bay WI. The boat has been stored in-doors heated every winter since. Used as a day sailor on Lake Michigan since 2003. New mainsail ordered last Winter still in box as the boat was not launched this season. Several year old jib with fewer than 20 hours on it. Staysail new in 1995 but in good condition. I would need $165,000 to part with it. Located in Racine WI... nowhere near Texas. But I thought I would mention it.
boatingisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 15:15   #92

I was recently looking at a Liberty 458 that meets many of your needs. They are ~46' LOA, center cockpits with a palatial queen berth in the aft cabin. The layout was really nice. There were only 30 or so made in the 80s. Does anyone else in the group know more about those boats?
kabuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 15:29   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
From high to low (price), my pics off yachtworld.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ckpit-3591383/
Engine has a lot of hours, not a lot of equipment listed.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...te-43-3677534/
Well regarded boat, has a generator and some solar.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ckpit-3687279/
Has ac, wind-gen, solar, watermaker.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...etch--3535868/
AC, generator, solar, watermaker.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ketch-3532697/
Generator, AC.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...ar-50-3256782/
Generator, AC.

There are of course a lot of other considerations aside from equipment. Size, draft, air draft, etc. Just a few quick picks to get you started.
Everything on yacht world is with a broker attached and these always cost more
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 15:56   #94

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Coconuts334,

Did you see my PM?
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 15:49   #95

Boat: 45 Bruce Robert Spray Pilot House

Coconuts... You might want to consider our 45 Ketch with Pilot House Blue Water Cruiser with aft cabin. Totally refit in 2016. In 2018 & 2019 New electronics and Sails. Our asking price is $100,000. We have her docked near Annapolis Maryland and would be worth looking at. Please email SusannaCruises at gmail visit our Blog 45' Full-Keel Steel Ketch with Pilot House or search our ad on this forum S/V Susana Bruce Roberts Spray. Thanks for your consideration.
Old 12-10-2020, 13:38   #96

Boat: Elan Impression 434

Elan Impression 434 !
RI.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 14:20   #97

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI.Brooks View Post
Elan Impression 434 !
A very nice boat that gives a good fight to the Beneteau and Jeanneau but by no means a blue water design nor it offers a (full size) queen aft cabin as a typical aft cockpit boat.

At this size only center cockpit boats can offer a full size queen berth aft cabin.
Old 12-10-2020, 18:12   #98

I am sorry my friend, but you shouldn’t comment on boats you know nothing about. I own an Elan Impression 434 with a queen aft berth. Read a little about international yacht/racer designer Rob Humphreys and the Elan Boats and you will realize the boat is a large step above the Beneteau and Jeanneau lines. As for a Blue Water boating you are way off; an Elan Impression 434 rescued a Beneteau 50 in the Melbourne to Port Ferry Ocean Race; look it up. I am sorry my friend, but you shouldn’t comment on boats you know nothing about.
Old 12-10-2020, 19:06   #99

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Three facts;
1. You don’t know if and what I know about Elan. Part of my knowledge is based on sailing on Elans in the Med as of the mid 90’s until last year.

2. A design of blue water cruisers has multiple common features; to start with, look at the design and specs of Hallberg-Rassy, Najad, Oyster, Contest and alike.

3. The OP was asking about “Queen aft cabin...” This is what an aft queen *cabin* look like at a typical 43’ boat of the above breed and what the OP was looking for. Not sure this is what you can find in Elan or other good boats of the same general design.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1198.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	225102

Over and out.
Old 12-10-2020, 19:51   #100

Three Facts!
1. I own an Elan Impression 434 with an aft queen cabin; not the charter model 4 cabin line.
2. Look at Rob Humphry's YouTube Interview; the boat is Blue Water Boat. https://www.boats.com/on-the-water/r...d-elan-yachts/
3. I don't have a picture to show you, but the cabin is of similar size if not larger.
CHECK IT OUT:
https://www.yachtandboat.com/elan-43...n-boat-review/
I love my boat and don't like someone putting it down without the facts! But, each to his own... Come visit me in RI and I'll take you for a sail!
Old 13-10-2020, 01:43   #101

Larlar,. my HYLAS44 is still for sale but one way or the other it seems pms to you don't get sent. I gave all ins and outs of the ship in a long message and it gets lost. Asked the administrator to dig it up and send it. Also would like to procédé on email or Skype.
Perhaps WhatsApp 0031653905387
jakkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 05:38   #102

Why not look at a Beneteau 42CC?
You might find one for that money and, many on here will say they are not a "true" blue water boat but meh...some percentage of the bigger Bennies/ Catalinas/Hunters here in Aus have actually sailed here from somewhere!
There was one of these recently sold here that had been round the world 2 1/2 times, so...
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 06:48   #103

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

I’ve seen time after time, boat after boat, what happens when someone has x budget dollars and try’s to buy a 3x boat.
You get what you pay for almost all the time. There are rare occasions when buyers find a bargain but boatyards are filled with broken dreams.
I’ve built solid seaworthy yachts and light, popular OEM junk. It’s wrong to encourage people to set sail in disposable boats that have reached the point where system after system is burned out or just about to fail.
You can’t buy an airplane that’s not ready to fly, or a commercial truck that’s not road worthy but some boat sellers and some bad surveyors will let anything pass.
Look at the standards for passenger vessels.
Do you seriously think with a budget of $100,000, there exists a certified vessel which matches the dream list of people who want a larger, blue water world cruiser?
The standards of inspected passenger vessels are based on facts. Private yachts need not meet all of them, but neither... none of them.
Tania Aebi lived to tell the tale, but had she not, her father might have faced a admiralty judge. I don’t want to be any part of sending someone to sea in a boat which can fail them. People survive Niagara Falls in a barrel but it’s a short voyage. All the Ken, Barbie and their cat Blogs encourage people who have never seen the sea on a dark and stormy night.
Don’t shoot the messenger because the message might be true.
Happy trails to them
Captain Mark and his professional boatbuilder manatees
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 06:15   #104

Dude maybe those manatees should go get a reality check.
Pop down to your favourite port of entry and watch all the million dollar 60 footers coming in.
You will, however, see plenty of boring smaller production boats though.
I don't even know anyone who has spent a million dollars on a boat. And I don't know anyone with a 60 foot boat.
I do know that plenty of folks have gone around in 24 footers, wooden, glass, metal, ferro, recycled drink bottles etc. Even, gasp, YouTube cat owners!
Sure, the bigger the better when you're out there and it gets ugly, but only if you have extra crew or the additional complexity of assistance to handle acres of sail in a blow.

Personally I would probably go smaller and get more bang for your buck but you might be able to set up a 40' centre cockpit production boat in your budget. You might have to sail it more actively than a heavyweight traditional boat so enclosable cockpit to keep you out of the weather to stay fresh when you're on the nasty watch, and a storm plan... Sort the reefing, beef up the cleats, big sea anchor and a drogue just in case. But you're more likely to need decent light wind sails actually.
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 07:36   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
I’ve seen time after time, boat after boat, what happens when someone has x budget dollars and try’s to buy a 3x boat.
You get what you pay for almost all the time. There are rare occasions when buyers find a bargain but boatyards are filled with broken dreams.
I’ve built solid seaworthy yachts and light, popular OEM junk. It’s wrong to encourage people to set sail in disposable boats that have reached the point where system after system is burned out or just about to fail.
You can’t buy an airplane that’s not ready to fly, or a commercial truck that’s not road worthy but some boat sellers and some bad surveyors will let anything pass.
Look at the standards for passenger vessels.
Do you seriously think with a budget of $100,000, there exists a certified vessel which matches the dream list of people who want a larger, blue water world cruiser?
The standards of inspected passenger vessels are based on facts. Private yachts need not meet all of them, but neither... none of them.
Tania Aebi lived to tell the tale, but had she not, her father might have faced a admiralty judge. I don’t want to be any part of sending someone to sea in a boat which can fail them. People survive Niagara Falls in a barrel but it’s a short voyage. All the Ken, Barbie and their cat Blogs encourage people who have never seen the sea on a dark and stormy night.
Don’t shoot the messenger because the message might be true.
Happy trails to them
Captain Mark and his professional boatbuilder manatees
I get your point on Tania Aebi, she had luck in her corner until she gained lots of knowledge however she was bright enough to gain it rather quickly. The subject is about boats and not sailors so hers was a poor example as she was sailing in a Contessa 26 and those boats have crossed many oceans and are known to be tough. Their older sister the Contessa 32 has even a higher rating in offshore boats. you made many good points in your post, dropped the ball a bit on the Contessa.
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, cabin, cruise, cruiser, water