Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2023, 09:54   #1

Tayana 37

Looking for a Tayana 37 located in Washington state, that I can begin outfitting for world travel. If you're thinking of selling yours, let's talk! Thank you.
Old 16-12-2023, 17:15   #2

Re: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwhatiam View Post
Looking for a Tayana 37 located in Washington state, that I can begin outfitting for world travel. If you're thinking of selling yours, let's talk! Thank you.
I have a bluewater in great condition. Durbeck. Only need some electronics.
Old 16-12-2023, 19:31   #3

Boat: B423

You could go down to the Sea of Cortex. There are probably some down there that you could bring back.

Generally, if you are looking for a particular boat, you've got to go get it.
Old 17-12-2023, 17:57   #4

Boat: Islander 36

This one: http://www.latitude38.com/advert/tayana-37-mk-2-cutter/

Has apprently been for sale for some time. Needs work, but at least it is in US!
Old 17-12-2023, 19:32   #5

That one is a nice starting point. You could probably pick it up for $15k. First thing I'd do is loose that ginormous ramming horn off the nose. Greatly reduce your pitching.
Old 17-12-2023, 20:43   #6

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako View Post
That one is a nice starting point. You could probably pick it up for $15k. First thing I'd do is loose that ginormous ramming horn off the nose. Greatly reduce your pitching.
A real genuine Naval Architect, Robert Perry designed that boat, and he designed a good rig for it.
He got the CE of the sail plan in a good position relative to the location of the CLR of the underbody.
And he designed a rig that can shorten sail in increments that still allow the boat to remain in balance.
Your suggestion to "loose that ginormous ramming horn" shows you should learn a bit more about Naval Architecture and why certain things are done.
Old 19-12-2023, 12:33   #7

That certainly is not the original bowsprit delivered with the boat. It looks like the owner couldn't find the correct 2x4s at Home Depot but somehow came across some giant blocks of teak. He likely has an extra 50lbs of wood weight up on the bow that isn't helping his motion at all. Quick Google of other Tayana 37s and you'll see some pretty, graceful bowsprits as Perry (or the boat builder) originally intended.

Certainly not unexpected. How many crazy modifications have been made to any used boat that is in the 30-40 year old range? Worst offender are the electrical systems, many of which are outright dangerous.
Old 19-12-2023, 13:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamshack View Post
Generally, if you are looking for a particular boat, you've got to go get it.
Understand that. But Puget Sound has a huge boating community. Just throwing out feelers in case someone is considering selling soon. Commitments here at home prevent me from traveling far at this time.

Quote:
Certainly not unexpected. How many crazy modifications have been made to any used boat that is in the 30-40 year old range? Worst offender are the electrical systems, many of which are outright dangerous.
True. I plan on going over every wire run, every crimp, etc on the boat anyways and replacing up to my standards (ABYC standards). However, I'm not looking for a junker "project boat". I understand every boat will need SOME work done, but I have the money where I can get a decent (minimal work needed) boat....not a project that will take multi-years to fix up.
Old 19-12-2023, 15:33   #9

Boat: Islander 36

OP, are you familiar with the Tayana Owner's Group: https://tognews.com/

If not, you sould join and post a Wanted to Buy notice. They are a tight-nit group and word will get around.

I just bought an Islander 36 after posting a Wanted to Buy notice on their site. Was contacted by two owners with great boats that were never advertised and I bought one of them.
Old 19-12-2023, 16:24   #10

OP, all joking aside, assuming the boat doesn't have hidden problems of a serious nature, it looks like you can have a wonderful boat for yourself. Hopefully just a small project boat, not a big one. Good luck to you.
Old 19-12-2023, 16:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapult Mike View Post
OP, are you familiar with the Tayana Owner's Group: https://tognews.com/

If not, you sould join and post a Wanted to Buy notice. They are a tight-nit group and word will get around.
Oh I hadn't thought to post there. Thank you!
Old 19-12-2023, 17:12   #12
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
That certainly is not the original bowsprit delivered with the boat. It looks like the owner couldn't find the correct 2x4s at Home Depot but somehow came across some giant blocks of teak. He likely has an extra 50lbs of wood weight up on the bow that isn't helping his motion at all. Quick Google of other Tayana 37s and you'll see some pretty, graceful bowsprits as Perry (or the boat builder) originally intended.

It actually does look like the original. They’ve added some blocking around the original GD windlass and the angle of the picture makes it look bigger than it really is. Also the missing pulpit and pushpit are missing which also makes it look funny.
Old 19-12-2023, 17:17   #13
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwhatiam View Post
What’s your budget?
Old 01-01-2024, 06:48   #14

Having owned one for a few years my only recommendation for world cruising would be to look for one with a keel stepped mast, not a deck stepped mast.
Old 01-01-2024, 08:18   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
A real genuine Naval Architect, Robert Perry designed that boat, and he designed a good rig for it.
He got the CE of the sail plan in a good position relative to the location of the CLR of the underbody.
And he designed a rig that can shorten sail in increments that still allow the boat to remain in balance.
Your suggestion to "loose that ginormous ramming horn" shows you should learn a bit more about Naval Architecture and why certain things are done.
Thank you for pointing that out. I was going to do the same.

Bob Perry once told me to look at the Tashiba 36 or Baba 40 instead of the Tayana 37 since it already has too much weather helm. Removing the bowsprit (“loose” that ginormous ramming horn) would only make things way worse but it would basically be a slow motor boat.

I am on my new-to-me 1982 Baba/Panda 40 as I write this….thanks, Bob, and thank you for the quality post.
Closed Thread

Tags
tayana 37