Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2024, 12:47   #16

Re: Tayana 37

I have a ‘85 T37 in Sequim…
Old 01-01-2024, 15:26   #17

Arrow Re: Tayana 37

Good for you.. Is it for sale?
Old 02-01-2024, 12:37   #18

If you like Bob Perry designs. Look at the Passport 40. Far far more boat, much better sailing and with out the pitching hobby horsing issues of the Tyanna. I sailed in company with a T-37 all though the Caribbean. It’s slow, and does indeed have exaggerated pitching. Even at anchor we would be still near still and they would be bobbing like mad.
The Passport has a nice underbody with NO bow sprit. And many with NO teak decks. Both punish a yacht. Also the canoe stern is a waste of space and water line length. In many marinas you pay for that bow sprit and manuvering in close quarters can get VERY expensive when that sprit starts poking things with 25K plus pounds behind it. Already mentioned the pitching issue typical of this design. Perry even says he just designed this type of boat to compete with the then currently popular Westsail 32. Now ancient history.

Just my opinion from someone that has sailed hundreds of boats as an instructor/ captain. And owned 5 serious cruisers that I have seriously cruised with.
Old 02-01-2024, 15:22   #19

I also meant to mention that the Passport 40 and the T 37 are about the same displacement, so not much issue on a “bigger boat” size. And the Passport has nearly 3 more feet of waterline. That’s significant. Faster and no hobby horsing isssues. And not a lot more money. Look at the one on YW in Alameda CA. N CA. Asking in the sixties. Not much more than a nice T 37
Old 02-01-2024, 18:35   #20
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrydolphin View Post
I also meant to mention that the Passport 40 and the T 37 are about the same displacement, so not much issue on a “bigger boat” size. And the Passport has nearly 3 more feet of waterline. That’s significant. Faster and no hobby horsing isssues. And not a lot more money. Look at the one on YW in Alameda CA. N CA. Asking in the sixties. Not much more than a nice T 37
While I agree that the passport 40 can be a faster boat and another great Perry design most of what you’ve stated about T37’s is highly inaccurate. Hobby horsing is not a common characteristic and most likely the setup of that specific boat, water lines at dock are closer to 2’ difference and less when under sail, the displacement is close to the same but should be noted that the Passport carries less sail and the T37 is more sea kindly. Also having produced close to 600 boats they are much easier to come by and priced accordingly. I will also note that I have beaten much ‘faster’ modern fin keeled boats with experienced crew. The ability of the T37 to carry more sail in higher winds (25+) is key, light winds I don’t stand a chance even with a spin and more cloth.
Old 02-01-2024, 19:42   #21

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Weather or lee helm may have a lot to do with the condition of the sails,mast rake is also I point to be considered,the simplest way to reduce weather helm is to shorten the main boom,a couple of ft makes all the difference .⚓️⛵️
Old 02-01-2024, 19:50   #22
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searles View Post
Weather or lee helm may have a lot to do with the condition of the sails,mast rake is also I point to be considered,the simplest way to reduce weather helm is to shorten the main boom,a couple of ft makes all the difference .⚓️⛵️
Yes and yes, 15” is the sweet spot for sail and boom reduction 👍
Old 03-01-2024, 10:18   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
While I agree that the passport 40 can be a faster boat and another great Perry design most of what you’ve stated about T37’s is highly inaccurate. Hobby horsing is not a common characteristic and most likely the setup of that specific boat, water lines at dock are closer to 2’ difference and less when under sail, the displacement is close to the same but should be noted that the Passport carries less sail and the T37 is more sea kindly. Also having produced close to 600 boats they are much easier to come by and priced accordingly. I will also note that I have beaten much ‘faster’ modern fin keeled boats with experienced crew. The ability of the T37 to carry more sail in higher winds (25+) is key, light winds I don’t stand a chance even with a spin and more cloth.
We all love the boat that we have. Just saying, having sailed hundreds of different boats and cruised in close company with T 37s and watched them in a sea way underway and at anchor, and good friends with the owner that complained about the pitching issue, I dissagree. My eyes tell me different. And it’s not just the T 37. Most double ended heavier displaced bowsprited boats have this issue. It comes from the fact that because of the prismatec coefficient, and D/L ratio, they need more sail area than their hull can provide in order to move well. This extends the sail plan of the boat well out over its lines. That’s all, simple physics. And I would debate whether the 37 is more sea kindly. Also the Passport has a better capsize resistance and MUCH more room. Obviously depends on conditions and point of sail. For me, I ll take the Passport 40. Each to their own.
Old 04-01-2024, 15:00   #24
rbk

Quote:
We all love the boat that we have. Just saying, having sailed hundreds of different boats and cruised in close company with T 37s and watched them in a sea way underway and at anchor, and good friends with the owner that complained about the pitching issue, I dissagree. My eyes tell me different. And it’s not just the T 37. Most double ended heavier displaced bowsprited boats have this issue. It comes from the fact that because of the prismatec coefficient, and D/L ratio, they need more sail area than their hull can provide in order to move well. This extends the sail plan of the boat well out over its lines. That’s all, simple physics. And I would debate whether the 37 is more sea kindly. Also the Passport has a better capsize resistance and MUCH more room. Obviously depends on conditions and point of sail. For me, I ll take the Passport 40. Each to their own.
Prismatic coefficient is way to try and categorize good displacement curves. Trying to improve the CP on a poorly designed hull won’t necessarily result in a better/ faster design and in turn having a good CP does not mean a good displacement curve. How the displacement curve is calculated can also be manipulated to get a better CP while not necessarily resulting in a better hull shape. Even directly comparing displacement curves between boats can be tricky when selecting the criteria for the hull type/shape. Full keelers always get the disadvantage in these calculations vs fin & bulb by default. Low D/L ratio also does not translate into a faster boat by default as with both these designs they will both be trapped in their wave as neither is going to climb out of the water and start planning. With each THS within 0.29 knots of each other and the THS being just that, theoretical; There are many reports of well sailed boats beating their THS day after day. Buying or comparing a ‘boat by number’ is a terrible idea and easily manipulated to form a bias.
While Perry did design the T37 in response to the WS32’s popularity, you left out the part that Perry was also trying to avoid all the performance issues the WS32’s were known for by modifying the hull shape and designed a more performance based hull with classic characteristics topside. Every single review, article ever written about T37’s says the same thing, that despite the numbers they sail surprisingly well, more so when properly rigged and tuned with a good cut of sails. Factory setups with wood spars, profound rake and poorly cut sails were known issues that are easily corrected by knowledgeable owners and would similarly affect any boat. If in fact you’ve sailed hundreds of boats it can’t have been long enough on each to make an informed decision or opinion on each. The ‘canoe stern’ has little affect on the interior space, the 2ft of additional LOA, 1’ of beam and raked cabin sides have more to do with the internal volume than the stern. Both beautiful boats built for cruising, both will get you where your going when properly outfitted.
Old 15-01-2024, 10:15   #25

Boat: Tayana 37 1985 cutter
Send a message via AIM to usrowboy Send a message via Yahoo to usrowboy
Re: Tayana 37 1985 in SW Florida

I have a 1985 Tayana 37 cutter rig for sale. I have been working on it for 4 years when I am able. (74yrs old and a couple of mini strokes later), so progress is slow. It has a new bowsprit, made exactly like the original with mahogany and douglas fir. Hull has been painted Awlcraft 2000 forest green. I have sanded the bottom down to fiberglass, replaced all but one thru hull and ball valves with new bronze, and found no (as in Zero) blisters. 3 coats of Micron Interprotect 2000 barrier coat, 2 coats of Micron CSC ablative paint. New polypropalene water tank, 3QM30 engine rebuilt 2015-16 in Perth Amboy (by a mechanic who worked for Borg Warner in Union, NJ), new refrigeration compressor (Indel-Webasto Marine/from defender marine, not hooked up yet), new Force 10 3 burner stove (not hooked up yet), new Ratheon radar unit mounted just below spreaders, new tricolor light, new lightning dissipater on mast, new "Strong" track for less friction raising mainsail, new LED lights on spreaders, all new running rigging, new sheeves on masthead, new "granny bars", new prop shaft, stuffing box material, cutless housing and bearing, and new Max prop 4 blade, full dodger, Plas Deck pvc imitation teak decking. And more....Working with an electrician to provide new switch panel that would update current equipment. The thought of sailing to Kauai is no more. Health is a factor. Close to 200k invested so far. Asking $125k Electrical panel will be finished. I am in SW Florida off Charlotte Harbor. Boat is on the hard 18 miles away in a yard that allows owners to work on their boats. Cosmetically, the varnish has been done but needs a touch-up. That will also be done before any sale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1817.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	285315   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0749.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	423.2 KB
ID:	285316  

Name:	Going up the mast to put Windex on Mast Oct 31 2023 2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	285317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Awlcraft 2000 Forest Green.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	285318  

Name:	IMG_6156.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	285319   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1009 - Copy.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	285320  

Old 19-03-2024, 01:37   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwhatiam View Post
Looking for a Tayana 37 located in Washington state, that I can begin outfitting for world travel. If you're thinking of selling yours, let's talk! Thank you.
Hello!
We are selling our Tayana 37, located Port Angeles, WA.
Happy to show it to you!

New Yanmar in 2011, cruised around Puget Sound, San Juan’s, around Vancouver Island, then cruised Sea of Cortez for 3 years. Sailed her back home and rebuilt the engine.

Lots of major improvements over the years, lots of good records.
Old 19-03-2024, 02:04   #27
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
If you like Bob Perry designs. Look at the Passport 40.

we had one of those that sold at my marina last year. stunning boat .. inside and out .. and no teak decks. roughly the same price as the tayana 37 but a more modern design. agree with your canoe stern assessment. definitely worth consideration.
Old 19-03-2024, 04:37   #28

Boat: Downeaster 38

If a boat looks like a project it’s probably a complete restoration. If it looks really nice it’s a project.

I’m getting in to a boat that shows decent right now… it’s a good sized project after viewings and survey. Let alone what I will find after sailing away.

Others will disagree but I’d buy a “turn key” Tayana for more like $35-40k (probably advertised in 50s) then do the 27 projects yourself to get her safe for use while you fit out with everything you want for long distance cruising.
Closed Thread

Tags
tayana 37