Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2018, 10:47   #1

55 Foot Ferro Ketch Rig

55-foot sailboat this boat is made of ferro cement. It was a man’s dream but he ran out of life before it was done. The boat was to be rigged as a ketch rig. The hull has been laid up but most of the finish work needs to be done. Asking $15,000 or best offer. Property owner needs to move. Boat has been in a covered building since it was built. All drawings are available and complete. Photos are available but you need to see it to appreciate it. Would consider donation to a qualified teaching or learning organization.
Sailordave65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:30   #2

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
Re: 55 Foot Ferro Ketch Rig

Wrong forum. "General Classifieds.....NO BOATS"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 15:55   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Now moved.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 16:57   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailordave65 View Post
55-foot sailboat this boat is made of ferro cement. It was a man’s dream but he ran out of life before it was done. The boat was to be rigged as a ketch rig. The hull has been laid up but most of the finish work needs to be done. Asking $15,000 or best offer. Property owner needs to move. Boat has been in a covered building since it was built. All drawings are available and complete. Photos are available but you need to see it to appreciate it. Would consider donation to a qualified teaching or learning organization.
You should mention where in the world the boat is located. You might not be aware that this forum is international and this post might originate anywhere from Australia to Zimbabwe.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 18:47   #5

Boat: Scout 30

Amazing lack of information. Post pictures, specs, location ...
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 17:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
You should mention where in the world the boat is located. You might not be aware that this forum is international and this post might originate anywhere from Australia to Zimbabwe.
The boat is located in Eugene Oregon
Old 13-02-2018, 17:43   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Minor assembly required
Old 13-02-2018, 18:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Amazing lack of information. Post pictures, specs, location ...
What would you like to know. Sorry you don’t feel there is enough information. I’m doing this for a friend who’s husband died while building the boat. If you want to know more you need to ask b
Old 13-02-2018, 18:25   #9

Guidelines for advertising boats for sale on CF

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Announcements in Forum : Boats For Sale and Wanted

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 18:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Minor assembly required
Yes the Hull has been laid with cement. All you have to do is the finish work. A great project for someone. And a great start.
Old 15-02-2018, 00:06   #11

Boat: Coast 30

Not withstanding that mediators have pointed out that this is in the wrong section.

This deal goes like this. The hull is 10% of the entire project. Which In a typical commercial boat building works would be completed in about one year bya workforce of 25 to 30 trade'smen or to be politically correct I should write (person's)

Thus every 40 hour week a single person works on it aproximatly only 1.25 hours of equivalent commercial shop time will be completed. This is probably a reasonable explanation as to why the original owner died before It was completed.

Hence there's a reason why 55 foot sailing yacht's cost several hundred thousand dollars. There's really no cheap short cuts to large vessel ownership.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 00:15   #12

No 55 foot boats are not cheap. But this is a cheap start to an awesome project. Step up or shut up
Old 15-02-2018, 00:27   #13

I'm going to wish your friend's wife well in what is probably a tough situation but the best you can do for her if she needs to move it off the property is give it to the first person who will haul it away and if you get a few bucks out of it consider it a bonus.

Quality fully operational ferrocement boats are hard to sell. They suffer from the fact that a large percentage are DIY with wildly different quality levels so even the best suffer as a result. As someone else mentioned, the fitting out is where the time and money is spent. The hull itself is a small percentage of the time and money.

Not trying to be mean just trying to give you a more realistic expectation.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 01:24   #14

Boat: Coast 30

I stand by my original submission based upon personal experience. I am officially retired so the only product of my work shop is the work I complete for yacht refit/ restoration. I usually work between. 5 to 7 hours. Per day. As it is not worth killing myself over.

When I first took on this project of saving the boat that I own. My youngest son railed on me about how this was not one big project. But a hundred small projects that would take for ever.

There was not much demand for foundry pattern making in this part of Canada...and even less now.
So towards the end of my working life I filled in by working in boat building companies. Hence I thought since I have the trade skills this would be very easy.

I have been at it now for four years. So as I start my fifth year I philosophically look back on where I have been with it and now have a very clear understanding of the time logistics.

So I don't need to put up or shut up as has been so sarcastically stated. I offer only the good advice to all who would think that boat restoration is a cheap way to get into big boat ownership.

I f you have to work for a living you do not have enough time. Unless you have lots of dedicated friends and family to help you.

If you have a dedication to participate in the museum community. That is the reason for undertaking restoration of a classic sailing vessel.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 01:41   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailordave65 View Post
No 55 foot boats are not cheap. But this is a cheap start to an awesome project. Step up or shut up
I don't think you have taken on board the advice the forum members have offered you for free, something quite rare these days.

Realistically you need to post some photos to attract attention and comply with the forum rules. Your price doesn't reflect the poor reputation ferro cement has and the huge amount of work required to complete this project. You need to make the offer attractive to the very small number of people who would be interested in taking this project on and who are looking for a project at the moment. After all anyone looking for a large FC yacht could buy anyone of a dozen completed yachts that are currently on the market and save themselves a whole heap of time and trouble.

Your desire to help out a late friends wife is laudable, but you need to make them aware that unless the price is substantially reduced and you conduct a proper advertising campaign then you will be still looking at the boat sat in the front garden in a years time.

Over to you.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ferro, ketch