Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2019, 03:06   #1

32-36 ft full keel boat for Golden Globe Race

Hi all,

I have entered the 2022 Golden Globe Race. I am looking for 32-36 ft full keel boat with these specifications:
  • Of fibre reinforced plastic construction.
  • Designed prior to 1988 and have a minimum series of 20 yachts built from one mould.
  • Have a hull length of between 32ft and 36ft. Bowsprits, wind vanes and outboard rudders, boomkins, pushpits and pulpits are not measured.
  • Have full-length keels with rudders attached to the trailing edge.
  • A minimum design displacement is 6,200kg.

The preapproved design list is:

Westsail 32 • Tradewind 35 • Saga 34 • Saltram 36 • Vancouver 32 & 34 • OE 32 • Eric (sister ship to Suhaili) • Aries 32 • Baba 35 • Biscay 36 • Bowman 36 • Cape Dory 36 • Nicholson 32 MKX-XI • Rustler 36, Endurance 35, Gaia 36, Hans Christian 33T, Tashiba 36, Cabo Rico 34, Hinckley Pilot 35, Lello 34, Gale Force 34.

I have already been speaking with a few owners right now and I waiting on a reply on few offers.

I live in Ontario, would prefer boats located around the Great Lakes area.
Also would prefer project boats since the boat will have to go through a significant refit to be ready for the race.

If there are any leads please email: gaurav@gauravshinde.com
gauravshinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 19:47   #2

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: 32-36 ft full keel boat for Golden Globe Race

Great! Hey, did you try contacting the contestants for the last GGR? Some may want to sell their boats.
Tailwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 22:48   #3

Slightly biased (as an owner) don’t forget Union Polaris 36...
Tsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 23:15   #4

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

May I offer my best wishes. It’s looking like most of the 2018 finishing boats are already sold. There should be a few near the canaries though — wonder where they are now?

Us vicarious GGR enthusiasts would love for you to keep us up to date with your progress. I’m guessing Rustler 36 owners are holding on to their boats at the moment!
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 23:41   #5

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

New Rustler 36......built for the race minimal interior, tiny engine and beefed up rig.....setup for solo sailing, probably about the same price as refitting as everything pretty much needs to be new....
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 02:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwheel View Post
Great! Hey, did you try contacting the contestants for the last GGR? Some may want to sell their boats.
Thanks. it was the natural place to look. Only 4 came back. 3 have already sold. And most designs are in the EU. It's the non EU contestants which are struggling to get the right boat.
Old 26-04-2019, 02:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
May I offer my best wishes. It’s looking like most of the 2018 finishing boats are already sold. There should be a few near the canaries though — wonder where they are now?

Us vicarious GGR enthusiasts would love for you to keep us up to date with your progress. I’m guessing Rustler 36 owners are holding on to their boats at the moment!
The ones who quit and haven't sold are on the edges for the next race.

I will be starting a YouTube channel soon. Right now I have Facebook but haven't been updating. My plan is to start doing updates once I have acquired a boat.

There are quite a few W32s incase I'm not able to find a Cape Dory 33/36 to take to the race. I'm interested in finding out if there are any fast designs which fit the criteria but haven't been looked at yet

Rustler just opened a new dealership in Newport,RI but haven't seen any pricing yet. But looks like their prices have gone up since the 18 race. I will go this route if I am able to secure support/funding.
If I'm an Corinthian(self funded) entry I intend to use the refit to generate interest locally and online and use as content for a video series I can monetize.
Old 26-04-2019, 04:22   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

There was a Cape George 36 for sale in St. John's Newfoundland, a couple years ago. With that boat properly equipped, you could not lose.
Old 26-04-2019, 04:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
There was a Cape George 36 for sale in St. John's Newfoundland, a couple years ago. With that boat properly equipped, you could not lose.
Thanks. They are lovely. If only I could find one for sale that does not have wooden spars. Its surely on my radar, I will keep an eye out.
Old 26-04-2019, 07:08   #10

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Wow, he could not lose........a round the world race singlehanded!?

You ever consider selling sailboats for a living? With lines like the above you might be totally rich by now!!

Give up the writing career, get a suit, tie, and a nice used car salesman smile and you'll be rich!
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 09:31   #11

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

You should add pilothouse Cape George 36 to your list. Ours has all those things on your list, is insulated below the waterline, has hit upper 13 knots surfing with 15 foot breaking seas under triple reefed main and staysail. Farthest day was 174 miles, but we were not in the Southern Ocean, just 100 West of Washington. I highly recommend a pilothouse as it is way calmer and a bit surreal to be able to watch your boat and the ocean in windy conditions from a warm. Mana was not too pretty to me, but my wife thought she was. In 2017 we brought Mana to Humboldt Bay in late September. We motored as we had a limited time frame due to our house sitters schedule. But during that cruise we spent 10 hours motoring into 19 foot breaking seas in plus 50 kt. winds and a few days later spent 12 hours in plus 60 kt. winds with gusts almost 70, but smaller seas as we were below Cape Mendocino. Not the same, but my point is that we are a mid 60’s couple, and we could easily either one sail this boat and the comfort level is pretty high. Sailboatdata.com and the website for Cape George Boatworks and the Atkins design catalog listing for Tally-ho Major are good reading, for me that is, and come to think of it that is good enough for me. Like I always tell my wife about my crummy sense of humor, “it was funny to me”. Good luck on that endeavor. I thought, back when Moitessier was my hero, that someday I would do something like that, but I let life get in my way, and very nearly got to old and married to even do any cruising.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5B35D3E7-4459-4295-9409-6B359DA22415.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	190812  
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 10:14   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
New Rustler 36......built for the race minimal interior, tiny engine and beefed up rig.....setup for solo sailing, probably about the same price as refitting as everything pretty much needs to be new....
This is it, if you want to be competitive.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 11:44   #13

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravshinde View Post
Thanks. They are lovely. If only I could find one for sale that does not have wooden spars. Its surely on my radar, I will keep an eye out.
Any boat you find, you will need to replace the spar.........just saying......
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 12:12   #14

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Is it just me, or does the possibility that some entrants will simply order a “race-spec” new Rustler 36 somehow defeat the point of the GGR? I appreciate there’s a separate class for the replicas, but this sounds like another separate class to me...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 12:29   #15

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/54414

Wrong coast, but with the low price, you could get it shipped and still be cheaper than most other options. It sound like the interior is already stripped/basic, so it won't be a crime to rip out a beautiful teak to save weight.

Good luck,

Matt

Tags
boat, keel, race