Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2020, 10:47   #1

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
What do you wear?

OK, so this is probably for those of us in higher latitudes, northern right now, where it is cooling off. I have some pretty good fleece pants and shirts and some synthetic sweat pants I like, and a fake chamois shirt that is a favorite under weather gear">foul weather gear, but I am just wondering if anyone has found some new (or old) fantastic brand or type of clothing that is just their favorite now?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 11:19   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: What do you wear?

I switched up my winter clothes this year.

I now have a Grundens Brigg 44 jacket, which I am layering over either a simple down shell or a wool sweater, or both, depending on how cold it is. Previously I had a heavy Eddie Bauer down parka made with a goretex layer, which was too delicate for hard work, and a Carhartt cotton duck parka with a polyester fill layer, which was tough but not comfortable when it got wet or in the wind.

I wear a tall size so finding clothes is always a problem. The Brigg 44 comes in my size. It fits loose.

I still have a pair of Cabela's Goretex rain pants. They are uninsulated but are enough for most conditions. I may replace them with bibs at some point.

Having worn both over the years I think that Goretex has few advantages over PVC coated cotton unless weight is the overriding concern.
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 11:35   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Don, if you can find powder pants, for skiing in dry powder snow at the Goodwill or Salvation Army store, they really keep the wind out, your legs stay warm in your jeans, with them over.

I like my Gill foul weather jacket, but I too am a layerer: merino thermie undershirt (and these come in different weights, mine is light, completely washable, and doesn't get stinky like polypro or chlorofiber), fleece lumberjack shirt, foulie jacket or a windbreaker, depending on the wx. Sometimes I throw in a turtleneck shirt, too.

I also have Gill foulie overalls, they keep out wind/water, and they aren't cheap, either.

Jim invested in an "ice breaker" merino thermie for his top, and lived in it much of the coldest weather last winter. It is quite a nice garment, but not cheap. Just might get me one, too, if we spend another winter here.

Ann
Old 26-11-2020, 13:29   #4

The stuff I use most is wool under a shell. Capilene base. Powder pants a must. .
Sherpa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 14:43   #5

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

What? You don't wear Hugo Boss like Alex Thomson?

It would seem he wears Zhik during the race...
https://www.mysailing.com.au/gear/wh...globe-campaign

Thanks for posting, I am due to replace my vintage Stearns bibs and jacket.
Old 26-11-2020, 16:05   #6
rbk

Boat: T37

Merino wool or polypropylene base layer against the skin (I prefer wool but polypro holds next to no water and wool maintains its R value even when wet.) Then a heavier layer of wool, Stanfields top and bottoms, itchy but warm and durable. I prefer floater top&bottom/suit but waterproof bibs, top and inflatable work too. Remember, cotton kills, wool’s warm and polypro stays dry. Fleece does ok if it stays dry, but when wet can become heavy and cumbersome. Other benefits of wool is antibacterial properties (extended wear without the smell) handy if you can’t change frequently or have access to washing, hypo-allergenic, temperature regulating and fire resistant (won’t melt to your skin like synthetics).
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 16:19   #7

We moved to the tropics, prefer not to wear anything!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 16:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
We moved to the tropics, prefer not to wear anything!
Yeah yer not allowed to comment in this thread!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 26-11-2020, 17:19   #9

We spent a lot of years in Ventura sailing the Channel Islands. Go south!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 17:40   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

This.

https://mustangsurvival.com/products...orksuit-ms2175

I find that it closes off all those little air leaks so it keeps me comfy.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 18:01   #11

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Layers layers and more layers.
That’s the best I’ve found.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 18:17   #12

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I have spent the last 16 years putting together the ultimate cold weather clothing kit for Chilean Patagonia.....
It is now... along with my boat....sitting in Ecuador some 120 miles from the equator....... sigh.....

However....what I have... on a boat where I try to live as close to ambient as I can bear...

With three exceptions I have no Polyprop or cotton...
First exception is my cotton jocks...
Over that I layer up with Icebreaker ... one or two layers... with the second exception over the top so I look a little bit 'dressed. This exception is a pair of North Face polyprop pants with pockets and stuff.
Above my navel.... once again I layer up with Icebreaker and finish of with a traditional half zip Icebreaker top.....

Over that if still cold a basic polyprop - or fleece - jacket...

If it is damp out a pair of bib and brace Musto 20 year old legs and a Gill OS2(?) jacket.

On my feet...
I bought a pair of Muckboot Arctic Sport boots which truly are the real deal... but a bit extreme for where I sail.. I spend most of my time on deck and below in a pair of genuine Australian made Ugg Boots. For going ashore a pair of lace up Sorels.

Another recent discovery... like the muckboots ... recommended by a fellow CFer.... is these gloves ... or shell mittens with liner... 20% off according to an email that arrived 5 minutes ago... https://www.theheatcompany.com/int/gloves

Downstairs possum wool gloves for sitting around in and a pair of Canadian 'Watson' brand 100% waterproof gloves for handling lines and stuff.

That's about it.... MacPac beanie sort of thing with ear flaps ... double skinned with impervious inner layer... rounds off my outfit...

Yes Icebreaker isn't cheap but quality never is...
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 20:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Don, if you can find powder pants, for skiing in dry powder snow at the Goodwill or Salvation Army store, they really keep the wind out, your legs stay warm in your jeans, with them over.

I like my Gill foul weather jacket, but I too am a layerer: merino thermie undershirt (and these come in different weights, mine is light, completely washable, and doesn't get stinky like polypro or chlorofiber), fleece lumberjack shirt, foulie jacket or a windbreaker, depending on the wx. Sometimes I throw in a turtleneck shirt, too.

I also have Gill foulie overalls, they keep out wind/water, and they aren't cheap, either.

Jim invested in an "ice breaker" merino thermie for his top, and lived in it much of the coldest weather last winter. It is quite a nice garment, but not cheap. Just might get me one, too, if we spend another winter here.

Ann
Now do you slip the foulies over the powder pants or are they in lieu of foulies in milder weather?
I think I may think of springing for one of those Icebreaker shirts if I get my boat put back together for some winter sailing.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 26-11-2020, 21:26   #14

Boat: Westerly Sealord

If you are only buying two tops buy these..

https://www.icebreaker.com/en-au/men...0871_color=431

https://www.icebreaker.com/en-au/men...4372_color=013
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 00:01   #15

Boat: Retired from CF

In Tassie winter , i use thermal ski pants and top , a t-shirt over it , a thin jumper over the T-shirt and the my Stormy Jacket plus my jeans over the thermal pants and my Burke foul weather pants.
Sometime i swap the jeans for tacksuit pants , much more comfortable.
The head is my major issue , tried several things but now have a neoprene scuba diving hood plus a wollen binnie and it all goes wrong a wollen scarf. I hate it and look forward to sailing in shorts and T-shirt.
SV DINGO is offline   Reply With Quote