Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2020, 02:12   #1

Lightning strike data over sat comms?

Hi All,

Apart of the tools available to us in my occupation we have access to 'Weatherzone' lightning strike data. this is a great tool in near real time lightning tracking, and I believe it would be majorly beneficial to a cruiser in a lightning prone area.

My question is can you get this data in some kind of GRIB, or other compressible format that can be sent over iridumGO or similar? even a refresh of data every 15min you could tell which direction and if the cloud is strengthening.

I'm in Australia, and can subscribe for $6/month, but cant see if you can get the data in a smaller file format...
Fendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Lightning strike data over sat comms?

Are these websites useful?
Australian Weather Lightning
Radarhttps://www.weatherzone.com.au/radar
Satellitehttps://www.weatherzone.com.au/satellite

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:38   #3

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendell View Post
Hi All,

Apart of the tools available to us in my occupation we have access to 'Weatherzone' lightning strike data. this is a great tool in near real time lightning tracking, and I believe it would be majorly beneficial to a cruiser in a lightning prone area.

My question is can you get this data in some kind of GRIB, or other compressible format that can be sent over iridumGO or similar? even a refresh of data every 15min you could tell which direction and if the cloud is strengthening.

I'm in Australia, and can subscribe for $6/month, but cant see if you can get the data in a smaller file format...
i use windy.com / weather radar. One can animate 2 or 6 or 12 hours, it shows also lightening strikes. Priceless, one of the all time best softwares

if these predictwind guys could incorporate this into their app, including cloud animation would be just amazing.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:00   #4

As with everything corporate, with the version of weatherzone I use I can zoom right in to our position and monitor what is around our local area so totally agree its a great tool

However unless you have a 4G connection you can access this information, so wondering if it is available in a compressed format that can be sent over satellite, in the same way as a GRIB is sent/received.
Fendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:49   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
i use windy.com / weather radar. One can animate 2 or 6 or 12 hours, it shows also lightening strikes. Priceless, one of the all time best softwares

I see thunderstorms and weather radar choices on Windy, but not lightning strikes. What option is that?
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:06   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

just curious, but what sensors exist that can track individual strikes locations with great accuracy?
Even if they existed and were fielded what good does it do you to know that a strike occurred at a location? it’s not like we can see it coming and move out if it’s way?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:14   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
just curious, but what sensors exist that can track individual strikes locations with great accuracy?
Even if they existed and were fielded what good does it do you to know that a strike occurred at a location? it’s not like we can see it coming and move out if it’s way?
Being forewarned of nearby lightning, enables time to prepare, such as disconnecting & storing portable electronics in our Faraday cage.

Old 09-12-2020, 06:53   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Use your best available sensors, your eyes and your ears. Flash, 50 seconds, boom, that's ten miles and you are now in range for a strike. Anything less than 50 seconds flash-boom and you are under the gun.

I use WeatherTap.com, which shows microbursts and their projected paths, and what cells are likely to become tornadoes. It will do individual strikes, but it's really only good for determining that a front that is coming does or does not contain lightning. Your eyes and ears are real time sensors.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:26   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

What do golf courses us to determine when to shut down? I have a suspicion it has something to do with ionized air?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:14   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Use your best available sensors, your eyes and your ears. Flash, 50 seconds, boom, that's ten miles and you are now in range for a strike. Anything less than 50 seconds flash-boom and you are under the gun...
And, if you don't hear the boom, you got hit.

Old 09-12-2020, 12:32   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Although not showing lightning strikes directly, the CAPE index shows where lightning is likely. A CAPE index of 1000 means lightning strikes are unlikely. A CAPE index of greater than 3500 means lightning is highly likely. Its not perfect, but is is available as part of the Grib data set.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:32   #12

Sferics....
many years ago an instrument called Strikefinder was popular in GA aircraft. It would plot strikes real time on the instrument's face and leave the indication there to fade over some short time...you could see where the storm cells are

I wonder if something like that would work on a boat? I'd actually be a bit surprised if such a thing doesn't exist for marine applications.

If it would work a person could probably grab an old strikefinder on ebay from someone upgrading their panel
skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:43   #13

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
Sferics....
many years ago an instrument called Strikefinder was popular in GA aircraft. It would plot strikes real time on the instrument's face and leave the indication there to fade over some short time...you could see where the storm cells are

I wonder if something like that would work on a boat? I'd actually be a bit surprised if such a thing doesn't exist for marine applications.

If it would work a person could probably grab an old strikefinder on ebay from someone upgrading their panel
I won one of these on CF but I can’t test it till the upcoming season.
https://shoptalos.com/products/talos...er-craft-boats
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:50   #14

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I see thunderstorms and weather radar choices on Windy, but not lightning strikes. What option is that?

Select weather radar. If you do nothing will see ligtening strikes as they happen with couple seconds delay. If you choose to animate 2, 6 or 12 hours you get the history including strikes. See here i marked one lightening 11 hours ago. Instrumental for dodging lightening areas if you have internet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-12-10_06-47-42.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	228359  
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 17:10   #15

Boat: Hinckley 59
Send a message via AIM to caffel

Use what swimming pools use, all local, no fancy comms required. Lincolnaquatics.com. Talos.com,
caffel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lightning