Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2020, 18:02   #31
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: What do you wear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
I'm surprised no-one else has mentioned cruiser suits on this thread. They combine protection, warmth, and buoyancy (they legally replace life jackets) in one seamless garment!
They’re called floater suits mentioned above. I prefer floater bibs and jacket rather than a one piece, that way you can easily take one or the other off when it gets warmer.

For gloves, if cold and dry any ski type glove with a water proof gauntlet mitt over for more heat retention; If cold and wet with need for dexterity lots of Helly Hansen pairs of blue poly pro, change them often.

If anyone is looking for good quality wool I won’t hesitate to plug these guys
https://pollensweaters.com wear them off the boat and right to dinner. Toques are great too.

For perspective I spend several weeks a year in tents at temps from -20 to -50 Celsius.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 18:27   #32

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Mostly nylon wind shells over my regular cloths, I double up on socks and wear my slip on boots. I save my verry expensive H/H off shore gear for the “just in case” situations and when I am out of sight of land,.....and I have a cold water immersion suit for the day I hope never happens.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 18:41   #33

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I neglected to mention a watch cap. Mostly, if I need it, I wear one I got for skiing, that can also cover most of my face. However, wearing a watch cap makes my scalp itch, and so I don't wear one as often as I might.

Anyone have a solution to this problem? (how to wear a watch cap without scalp itch?)

Ann
Old 27-11-2020, 19:09   #34

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Go to a ski store or REI and buy good quality ski socks. We like polypropylene wool mix. Most of them are fitted above the ankle too which prevents them from slipping down in your shoe. And they are designed to wick away water.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 19:18   #35
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
...Anyone have a solution to this problem? (how to wear a watch cap without scalp itch?)

Ann

a. Fleece, not wool. Wool itches the brow if you sweat.
b. Wear a thin stretch balaclava under it. Not only will this seal you neck and warm your jaw, it locks the watch cap in place, preventing it from blowing off. The most warmth per ounce of any clothing item. Above freezing, I like the thin cyclist versions. It's just enough.
Old 27-11-2020, 19:33   #36

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Been trying to stay warm and dry in the frozen North all my life. Layer. Don't overdo it. Stay dry above all and look to Norway.
Lifa's are great.
I like expensive golf rain pants until it gets real nasty with lifa underneath.
Comfort is important to me.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 20:28   #37

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
I neglected to mention a watch cap. Mostly, if I need it, I wear one I got for skiing, that can also cover most of my face. However, wearing a watch cap makes my scalp itch, and so I don't wear one as often as I might.

Anyone have a solution to this problem? (how to wear a watch cap without scalp itch?)

Ann
I gave up on the common pure wool watch caps for that reason - I got tired of the itching.

I have a watch cap woven with wool on the outside and synthetic on the inside - warm and comfortable. It is also possible to find watch caps of merino wool which shouldn't be as scratchy. I think for practicality and safety the Carhartt hi-vis fleece "beanie" would be hard to beat. They are all great until things get wet. Then I want my fleece-lined waterproof cap with the fold-up ear covers.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 07:10   #38

Boat: Hunter 420 Passage

We are spoiled full enclosure, start off with long pants long sleeved shirts., as the sun comes up down to shorts and t shirt, then back to long, late overnights fleece blanket and a warm cat.
Windcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 09:15   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Per Don Street, silk aviator's scarf, USN surplus unbleached wool socks, alpaca long johns, Black Diamond rubber coat and sou'wester, German army surplus wool pants with three layers between the knees and crotch, shrimper's boots.

Quack, quack...
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 09:16   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Oh...and Sealskinz gloves, they're the bomb!!!
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:43   #41

Boat: Columbia 50, Full Cutter rigged

Hello,

As full time live aboard, I purged nearly all the synthetics in favor of wool.
Marino wool makes for some really nice under layering.
SmartWool is doing some really nice things in the Long Johns department, so is Ibex. Stanfield's is just as nice, but at much better prices. Well worth the prices for me.

For Foulies, I love my Gills and Helly Hansons.
Look at "Outdoor Research" (OR) they make some pretty nice outdoor trousers. I have a few pairs of what I think they call their "TralBlazer" models....
Lots of zippered pockets in all the right places. And with zippered side vents down the outside of thigh.
Long underwear fits well under these, and foulies fit great over them.

If I need to sometimes I'll layer the wool things under my foulies.
Marino Boxer briefs, marino t-shirt, then my long Johns over those.
Maybe a well fitted wool long sleeve pullover shirt over that sometimes?

All I know is as a full time live aboard and sailor in the PNW I will never give up my stash of pure luxurious warm and cozy in cold weather marino! Ever!

Day with SV Magnolia
SV Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:55   #42
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
No one mentioned what temperature range they considered each costume good for. I would think it would be generally down to freezing or just a little below, but less than that the amount of ice on deck is going to keep people from sailing. And most places it isn't much below freezing out on the water, or the water tends to freeze in harbor.

Maybe I'm just warm blooded, but for a little below freezing I'd be wearing less. Most of this is polyester or polypro, but some wool.

Legs. Long johns, mid-layer pants, and either wind pants (possibly uninsulated powder pants), Goretex bibs, or a dry suit.

Body. Under layer, turtle neck, heavy fleece lacket, and either wind jacket, Goretex, or dry suit. I love my thin fleece Hind poly-something undershirts that don't stink.

Head. Balaclava, fleece cap, and possibly ski googles. Googles aren't just for spray. I'll wear them in dry conditions if my face is cold.

Feet. Deck shoes with heavy waterproof socks.

Hands. Either Musto Racing gloves with heat packs or ski gloves. Possibly coated work gloves.

Other keys are to keep moving and to have warm seat cushions. I avoid must below freezing, since I don't like ice on deck.
Just some perspective, I would take touring or snowmobiling around at -25'c or colder than boating around at or near 0'c due to the humidity. When I bring people along on fall water trips I tell them to dress like its forty below. They always laugh a little and even after I say I'm dead serious, they generally show up under dressed and spend a miserable day wising they had brought more layers. The humidity at those temps with the wind chill is brutal.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:55   #43

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

I'm very much into the layer, layer and more layers philosophy generally. I've done a lot of all-weather cycling in coastal BC and much of that gear is very useful on the boat, especially when it has a windstopper fabric attached to it. I use Sugoi winter weight cycling tights as a leg layer. Basic Helly workwear pants like these;
https://www.hhworkwear.com/en_ca_ww/...ain-pant-70427
are great when the deck's wet and are a good light weight water/wind proof outer shell. Also look at Nordic sportswear, designed for X-country skiing - again it's designed to block the wind. I have a Craft Sportswear layer fronted with their windstop fabric, my go-to essential for PNW cold weather cycling or boating. Cutting the windchill counts a lot toward comfort.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:32   #44

Sounds like your off to a good start.
If you want to know how to stay warm, dry, and comfortable just watch an episode of “The Deadliest Catch”
A set of Grundens, with the Jacket 2 sizes larger than normal.
7 fleece pull overs, and vest’s got me through the North West Passage without a single shiver.
Best of all when everyone else’s Foulies are hanging all over the boat, in a feeble attempt to dry them out, you simply take 2 paper towels, wipe off and your good to go.
gregfreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:30   #45

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Helly Hansen Aegir series.
I hate getting wet and cold.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote