Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2017, 08:24   #91

Re: What batteries are you using and where are you buying them?

On my Beneteau 473, I had three 4D house batteries and one starting battery, all FLA. The starting battery and two of the 4D house batteries are located in the engine compartment. The third 4D is located far back in the port aft cabin, under the bed.

I had some corrosion developing on my engine. My mechanic said it was caused from the out gassing from the batteries.

I replaced the house batteries with Deka Gel 4D Batteries, and also the starting battery with a gel. All ordered online from Remy Batteries.

I'm hoping they will out gas less, but I'm happy not to have to pull cushions out and crawl back into the aft cabin to add distilled water.

On a side note, the 4D FLA's were heavy and the Deka Gel 4D's seemed even heavier. I won't attempt to replace them by myself again.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 11:44   #92

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Don't drop to float!! How many times does this have to be repeated.

Our charger drop to float after 4 hours of absorption. I was able to chose how many hours of absorption (1-4), but that's about it.

If I'm there, I can spoof it a bit... but otherwise I don't have much choice.

-Chris
Old 18-03-2017, 04:21   #93

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
I completely agree. (And I also have one of those pesky EE degrees). LiFePo has some fantastic advantages. Also some drawbacks for the vast majority of users. So do AGMs I always wonder why AGMs are recommended so often. They're no better for a daysailer/weekender in a marina. They're siginficantly poorer than FLA for a solar powered boat. They really only make good sense on a boat that runs a genset every day.

Calder was on the 59 North podcast last week and said some very good things about the firefly batteries. He also said some less than optimal things about them.
What were his negative comments?
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 14:01   #94

Boat: Columbia 10.7

I think I have two dead batteries on the boat I just bought. They are connected, but when I turn the master switch to Batt 1 or Batt 2, all the lights and needles stay put.

I didn't bring a hydrometer, but I've dealt with batteries long enough to know when I have dead ones. When I go back this weekend I'll bring a hydrometer and a voltmeter with my charger. But more than likely I'll have to replace them.

I've read a lot of people describing getting a battery for the engine and one for the house. But lots of people seem to be using golf cart batteries for the house. So, my question is: why?

Do they last longer? Charge faster? Able to handle a better load? Provide longer life?

Thanks
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 14:20   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
Do they last longer? Charge faster? Able to handle a better load? Provide longer life? Thanks
Yes, no, yes, yes.

In the US there seem to give the best bang for the buck. However, the costs outside the US means some of the advantage is lost with import duty and transport cost etc. So for me in the UK its a good quality 12v flooded lead acid.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 08:10   #96

Boat: Mason 44

The last deka gel batteries that came with the boat lasted from 2002 until 2014. I have replaced them with Trojan gel. Not about AGM, I see yachties with AGM batteries usually died with no warning. One friend RTW had them packed when they were out with 2 weeks more to Cocos Keeling. Luckily iridium phone allowed them to order new AGMs to be shipped from Australia. Maybe the lack of shore power charging contributes to the short life span.
ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries, solar