Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2017, 15:14   #1

What batteries are you using and where are you buying them?

Hello all,

Our new-to-us Pearson 424's batteries are 12 years old, so it’s long overdue to replace them.

She currently has one large lead acid start battery:
(Interstate Workaholic 4D-XHD 1250 cranking amps http://www.interstatebatteries.com/p/interstate-batteries/interstate-batteries-4d-xhd-4d-xhd?dsNav=N~4294784989-4294784587-4294784586-2147384898-4294784585-2147384903-2147384903)

And 4 golf cart style Energizer EGC2 6v batteries for the house:
(Energizer Golf Cart Battery - Group Size GC2 - Sam's Club)

The boat has a Westerbeke 58 with a standard alternator as well as a 150 amp alternator. I’m also planning to install a 200w solar kit, then later expand the solar array and the house battery bank in the future to handle a refrigeration unit. Our electrical needs now are pretty minimal, with nav and cabin lighting being our major power draw (I'm slowly switching everything to LED, so hoping to cut it drastically).

With this in mind, does anyone have any suggestions on battery types, brands, and retailers? I am based in New York.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ryan
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 15:51   #2

Re: What batteries are you using and where are you buying them?

I like Lifeline AGM batteries.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 15:56   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

If you are looking for ordinary flooded batteries, Interstate seems to have the best reputation for reliability. Not fancy, but well made and inexpensive. They have the same reputation for on shore use.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 16:07   #4

Boat: Cornado 25

For the house batteries Trojan t-105 golf cart batteries are cost effective for me... Nominal 200AH at 6V. 2 in series will give you 12V. Shop around the golf cart shops for the best price. I paid less than a hundred bucks each (2 years ago) for my 105 batteries. Be aware most shops want 2 automotive type cores per battery as the lead weight is significantly higher in the 105. They are also an inch or two taller than your normal "deep cycle" profile so check your clearances first.

Your mileage may vary :-)
Old 18-01-2017, 16:20   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

East Penn, deka and other label including WM. 6v gels.

4 is fine for a boat your size if you are efficient with power as well as a separate start. I'd get an automotive gold from a local supplier as those have up to a 5 year free replacement.

I have 2 6v gells on my boat had 4 on a very similar boat to yours. Also fairly simple to run a smart regulator on those alternators.
Old 18-01-2017, 16:26   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Peregrine. Congrats on the 424. Nice boat. I have one of the first cousins, the 422.

Hard to beat a GC2, FLA golf cart battery. My opinion and experience they're the most bang for the buck, easiest to care for and handle abuse and neglect better than any other type of battery.

Several options as far as which brand. The Energizer is good. Can't go wrong with Trohan T-105s. Several manufacturers make good ones but can't remember them all. Penn I believe is one. The brand sold at Sam's Club is good.

I have six GC2s from the local Battery Source store that are about six years old and still going strong.

One thing to be aware of with AGM batteries. If you have plenty of charging capacity or regularly tie up at a dock with shore power they can charge faster but generally don't last as long if you can't fully charge them on a very regular basis. Also a lot more money than FLA batteries.

If you want to learn more about the different battery types I highly recommend reading the information on the Compass Marine web site (forum member Maine Sail). He maintains boat electrical systems, tests batteries and chargers and is a member of the ABYC.

Links to his articles.

Welcome To MarineHowTo.com Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

What Is A "Deep Cycle" Battery? Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 16:31   #7

Thank you guys. Always very helpful.
Old 18-01-2017, 16:34   #8

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Trojan, Deka, and Crown for flooded. Deka for gels. Lifeline AGM if you can afford them and you can fully charge them several times a week.

Flooded is the best bang for the buck. I just switched from Deka gels to GC flooded cuz gels aren't in the cruising budget any more. I did get 5 years out of my gels with 95% of that time on the hook and with not the best charging regimen.

Deka is an East Penn Brand. The Energizer's you have are made by East Penn.
Old 18-01-2017, 16:39   #9

Thanks very much Skipmac. I'll give those a read. Very cool that you have a 422... beautiful boat!

Sounds like t-105's are the way to go for the house. I'm pretty budget conscious and the agm's are giving me sticker shock.

Now I've got to find some gc batts in the New York area.
Old 18-01-2017, 16:43   #10

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
Question is... where do I buy gc batts in the New York area? I'm going to have to find a local retailer to save on shipping.
Sam's Club or a golf cart dealer. I paid $470 for 6 Deka GC10s at a golf cart dealer here in Florida. Same battery Sam's Club sells but less $$.
Old 18-01-2017, 17:16   #11

Thanks capo. I'm passing through NJ this weekend. Going to hit up a golf cart retailer
Old 18-01-2017, 17:27   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

For the engine I buy top quality Bosch or Varta starter grades. They easily outlast 5 years of use (mostly non-use). I think last time we changed at 8 (was still good, just weak). They are expensivish per Ah but it is just one 90Ah bat so who cares.

For the house I buy plain vanilla decent make caravan grade. Now they are closed (but vented) acid kind. 200$ per 100Ah from Vetus but 80$ per 100Ah same bat (just different sticker) from our local bat shop.

The house ones last only 4 to 5 years. A mix of overuse and non-use gets them. But they are dirt cheap so I do not care, just replace when see any signs of old age.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 17:41   #13

Boat: IP 40

We where very close to going with the firefly batteries when we recently upgraded our house bank. The lack of quality info on their website and the still relatively short track record made us just nervous enough that we went back to lifeline AGMs.

I sincerely hope the next time we need to replace them we'll be able to go with something like the firefly. For me that means we need enough history to be sure the long-term reliability. Remember when Gel batteries where going to save us all, I do...but after a few years of real world use...not so much.

Or even better, maybe Lithium will come down enough to be a viable option for the rest of us. I love everything about them except the price tag currently.

So for us it was Lifeline AGM due to past experience with their quality.
Old 18-01-2017, 19:39   #14

Boat: Catalina 387

FLA is the sweet spot for bang-for-the-buck. You got 12 years out of GC batteries. replace with GC batteries. I likely wouldn't use a new 4D for the start, prob 2 12v start batts in parallel. Just 'cause I don't wanna lift 4D batteries.

if you need more capacity in the house, Add 2 more GC2s. Keep em charged and watered and you'll get lots of life out of them.

AGM is more expensive and are easier to kill. AGM does have a much higher charge acceptance rate. Can be put in any position. Only if you need the specific advantages that AGM gives do you want AGMs.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 21:44   #15

Boat: O'Day 40

With a 150 amp alternator you should take advantage of the high acceptance rate of AGM batteries. Based on Nigel Calder's testing, the Firefly is the cheapest AGM on a cost per amp hr over its lifetime and will take some real abuse.

QED, Firefly.

Tags
batteries, house batteries, solar