Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2022, 07:39   #46

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Victron Multiplus not giving full charging amps

I can only repeat what I said in my previous post. I had exactly the same issue last week with a Victron multiplus connected to a 600Ah Lithium bank.

Using a MK3 and the newest connect software, I changed:
1. Maximum Amps to 100
2. Make sure "Weak AC Input" is NOT checked.

The second change was due to Victron technical support writing:

Quote:
a. Under the charger tab, verify the Weak AC input box is not checked. This will limit the charger output, reducing by approximately 20%. Only used this setting if the generator output IS causing a problem with charger output.
i. Note: with some generators, we have found the output signal is slightly distorted when the genset is light loaded. Turning on an AC unit or water heater can generally overcome this problem and allow charger to operate at full output without the ‘Weak AC Input’ box checked to ON.
Old 27-06-2022, 08:03   #47

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)

Thanks Zanshin. Weirdly I don't see your previous post with that quote. I only see one previous post from you, #15, which mentions a "wide current" setting which I couldn't find, and at that time did not associate with "Weak AC" I very much appreciate you took the time to help and that the problem was ultimately simple to solve.

Good sailing,

JR
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 13:09   #48
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

@jr_spyder
You cannot update firmware is there is any other equipment on the VE.Bus; e.g., the Digital Multi Control (DMC). Unplug it at the Multi, do the firmware update, plug the DMC back in. Easy, peasy.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 13:16   #49

Boat: S&S 65
Send a message via AIM to blueskymessenge

Just a word of caution about the Victron and blue tooth. Victron's built in BT on some units cannot communicate properly yet with window 10 or 11. It is a known bug on their forum which has yet to be properly addressed. The Victron application works correctly on cell phones but don't bang your head against the wall if you try it on a laptop. For that you may need the Victron direct USB cable to get the communications to work, either that or stick to the cell phone. Just an FYI.
Old 27-06-2022, 15:21   #50
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskymessenge View Post
Just a word of caution about the Victron and blue tooth. Victron's built in BT on some units cannot communicate properly yet with window 10 or 11. It is a known bug on their forum which has yet to be properly addressed. The Victron application works correctly on cell phones but don't bang your head against the wall if you try it on a laptop. For that you may need the Victron direct USB cable to get the communications to work, either that or stick to the cell phone. Just an FYI.

Victron have never said is does work with windows

4.1. Windows PC

VictronConnect requires Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10. For older Windows versions, XP and Vista, check our archive of previous versions.

Note that on Windows, VictronConnect cannot use Bluetooth Smart to connect to a product. Other connection methods, such as USB, or LAN and WiFi do work properly.“

It’s not a bug, the software connectivity feature simply isn’t present
Old 28-06-2022, 09:46   #51

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
@jr_spyder
You cannot update firmware is there is any other equipment on the VE.Bus; e.g., the Digital Multi Control (DMC). Unplug it at the Multi, do the firmware update, plug the DMC back in. Easy, peasy.
Thanks. I'm off the boat for a while and will do this on my return. I'm just thrilled we solved the charging amp issue.
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 01:35   #52

I hope I am on the right thread. I have a 110v grid set up on my boat. I had a Victron transformer installed to transform 220v to our 110v grid from the Shorepower unit. After installation no problem ,however after a few months I have had problems with the shorepower breaker tripping when connecting to the boat. If batteries were being charged by bulk no problem however when charging got to the Float stage batteries were no longer being charged, in other words batteries were now discharging. When boat disconnected from Shorepower and reconnected the shorepower breaker would trip. Has anyone had the same or similar problems? Bad inverter perhaps?
Jelani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 06:34   #53

Just to be clear this is what I think you are saying:

Quote:
The charging circuit goes through the Bulk and Absorption cycles normally, but once the system switches to Float, current stops flowing to the batteries, and the voltage drops, and they discharge.
At that point, has the breaker tripped?

It's POSSIBLE it's a bad inverter/charger, but unlikely.

To understand what might be happening, we need more details. In no special order:
  • What are all the settings on the inverter/charger?
  • What model inverter/charger?
  • What breaker is tripping?
  • What size is that breaker?
  • What kind of batteries, and a bit more detail about what EXACTLY you see as far as current and voltage.
  • Have you made ANY changes to the system at all?
  • Is the inverter working normally producing AC power when shorepower is not connected?
  • Does the breaker trip immediately or does it take a few minutes?
  • What is your dockside voltage and frequency?
  • What loads are connected to your AC system?
Also, highlight what is different about it's behavior NOW compared to before.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging