Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2017, 19:14   #1

Boat: Jensen, Cal 25, Tayana 37
Smart Battery (lith)

Hello cruisers. I have an issue and I don't know who to be mad at🙄

I recently replaced my house bank with 3 75ahr lithium ion batteries from the company smart battery.com. @ $1100/easy! first, let the buyer beware. Horrible company and if I had done just a bit more research, I would have discovered the 56 BBB complaints!

Nevertheless, I have them and I can't talk to anybody to get a refund. The bank has not performed as advertised since day one. They drain very quickly but I think I have discovered why.

All pure DC seems to be ok, it seems to be the inverter ac current at issue. The only constant load us the fridge, which only draws 2amps and a television that also draws very little.

When I shut off the inverter, modified 1500/3000 from windynation, it all seems pretty stable. I know the difference between mod and pure and it does not seem like this would be the issue. However, the is the BMS integrated into the batteries so maybe.

I have solar with a controller that read 14.2v at 3:00 and 12.4v by 4:30, with only the two things running mentioned above. Turned off the inverter (delivering the two) and I have since gained voltage and it's now 7:00.

If a new inverter, why and which one??? Pure signs are very expensive and I'm not convinced that's the issue.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
nnb4oc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 19:55   #2

Re: Smart Battery (lith)

are you drawing 2amps ac with the fridge or 2a dc? big difference.

the inverter type makes no difference.

you really need a clamp meter, or built in amp gauge / battery monitor to see how much you are drawing off the battery bank.

the inverter probably draws 2a dc just being on. and the fridge is probably 2a AC. which would be about 20a DC. so you're probably drawing around 22a DC from the battery through the inverter. with a 225ah bank you'd only last 5 hours till 50% (well about 10 if the fridge cycled)
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 09:35   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

What smac said...

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 09:59   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Sounds to me like your whole system needs a sound design, re-engineering from the ground up.

That bank would be great for a day at the beach.

Maybe enough with a super-efficient portable 12V compressor fridge and on-demand recharging.

Why are you using the inverter?

Do you get to shore power every night?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery