Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2018, 16:29   #46

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Recommendations for AC/DC voltmeter purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
You do realize this is Mainesails website right? He would never carry a product he doesn't believe is worth it.

No, I did not realize that. In any event I was not trying to impugn the seller (one that has earned great respect over the years, now that he is identified), only to point out that we can't tell much of anything about the product by looking at the web site. My take is that he was offering a product for the non-technical that he knows will be a good (or good enough) solution. No problem there. But for someone who does understand instrumentation saying "this will work" is simply not enough. There is a clear trade-off between price and accuracy/features, so without knowing the accuracy and features it is impossible to judge whether it is worth the price. Now knowing the vendor I would have more confidence that the product is adequate for the need, and backed up by customer service. But I still can't say how it compares with other offerings, so would not recommend buying it over other options until the specs are available. But that is just me I guess - I want the facts.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 16:42   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
I've always got by with a cheap $10 one. But I got stuck recently diagnosing a faulty bit of marine sceince gear and we needed an old school analog meter, as even the decent quality digital ones onboard weren't fast enough to detect a short trigger pulse. Have to add one to my tool kit.
Yes, that is a big disadvantage to digital meters, and an example of where a small lamp can be better at detection. Personally I would go with a shirt-pocket oscilloscope, like the Sainsmart open-source models, for $100-200. They are awesome diagnostic tools at a bargain price. My nephew is a robotics consultant and carries one with him on the job. It is on my wish-list.

Greg
Old 23-06-2018, 16:58   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Again, there are no **DC ammeters** that cheap.

And yes I'm happy to recommend that meter, between Charles Sterling's DC engineering skills and my respect for Maine Sail's knowledge and integrity.

$100 is dead cheap if you want a decent tool.

The difference between that and the cheapest possible Chinese eBay one is less than taking the kids to McD's after a game.

I'm not sure why the personalization of my comments. I have no doubt that Mr. Sterling is a fine engineer, and that Maine Sail is a solid vendor. I am talking about the product, not the people. It should be pretty obvious at this point that Sterling's engineering skills have nothing to do with this - it is a private-branded generic product that is being sold by Sterling - he sure as hell didn't design it. He is clearly importing it with his name on it from a Chinese factory. There is nothing wrong with that - after all, Apple's expensive top-end gear comes from the same place. The only way either person is brought into the discussion is that some posters feel that we shouldn't need the specs because of the reputation of the sellers; I respectfully disagree. Customers have a right to make a knowledgeable decision, and without the knowledge being present should look elsewhere.

BTW the lack of specs originates with the Sterling site, not Maine Sail's. I hope they will both take note and remedy the situation.

Greg
Old 23-06-2018, 17:42   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Absolutely, most things on a boat don't require a Fluke, maybe for bragging rights. I might pay a little more than $10 but not much.

Depends I guess on how you value tools.
I’ve made most of my living with them and to me quality tools are a necessity. A fluke 115 is not that expensive, not for a long time purchase.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 19:25   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
I've always got by with a cheap $10 one. But I got stuck recently diagnosing a faulty bit of marine sceince gear and we needed an old school analog meter, as even the decent quality digital ones onboard weren't fast enough to detect a short trigger pulse. Have to add one to my tool kit.
The Fluke 77, and its successors, and many imitators past and present, added an analog-like bargraph underneath the digits, which makes them almost as responsive as analog meters. The clamp-on meter I linked to back on page 1 or 2 has such a bargraph, as well as a peak hold function: you 'arm' it, and then when a peak or pulse has passed, the value is held in the readout til you reset and arm it again.

But analog meters still have advantages in some situations.

Rather than the '$10' meter, I usually go for the ~$70 meter when it's on sale. And they usually last. I have a Radio Shack clone of the Fluke 77 that's still working fine (with occasional switch cleaning) after - yikes - 30 years?

Another must-have feature - beep continuity, so that when you're looking for a short or tracing wires, you don't have to keep looking at the meter.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 19:35   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Another must-have feature - beep continuity, so that when you're looking for a short or tracing wires, you don't have to keep looking at the meter.
Yep, I couldn't agree more, and it is not on the cheap HF meter that I got for free - an enduring PITA (you get what you pay for?). Fortunately my other meter does have it, as well as the UT210E.

Greg
Old 23-06-2018, 20:16   #52
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes I'm not saying the specs shouldn't be easy to find, just that issue would not imply the product isn't good value, based on my trust in both.

Pop Charles an email, he's usually responsive.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 07:58   #53
cruiser

If you are troubleshooting circuit boards, etc. then an expensive, digital Fluke, etc. is necessary. Trouble shooting 12/24v or 110AC simply does not require readings to the hundreds/thousandths. For 'general troubleshooting' I prefer an analog meter. Particularly one with a large face like the 'built like a tank' Simpson 260. I can focus on where my probes are while watching needle movement out of the corner of my eye.
Westsailor32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 10:12   #54
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Volts is not the challenge.

The issue is getting DC Amps readings

reasonably accurate

at reasonable pricing.

Super-duper Fluke is $200-400

Around $100 I'd now reco MS's.

El cheapo, fine for many have not seen cheaper than the $25-50 ones discussed above.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 11:38   #55

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Depends I guess on how you value tools.
I’ve made most of my living with them and to me quality tools are a necessity. A fluke 115 is not that expensive, not for a long time purchase.
My favorite was always a Simpson 560. They are probably no longer make.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 01:19   #56

I just ordered this one. I'd love to be able to clamp off one of the probes, do you guys normally just attach a two sided alligator clip to the probe tip? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ZNPCOPQZ&psc=1
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 06:55   #57

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian007 View Post
I just ordered this one. I'd love to be able to clamp off one of the probes, do you guys normally just attach a two sided alligator clip to the probe tip? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ZNPCOPQZ&psc=1

The jaws open and close around the wire or conductor to be tested for current. Test leads are used for voltage, resistance, and sometimes other variables depending on the meter's designed capabilities and functions.
Old 30-06-2018, 11:30   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
The jaws open and close around the wire or conductor to be tested for current. Test leads are used for voltage, resistance, and sometimes other variables depending on the meter's designed capabilities and functions.
I understand, what I meant was it's awkward having to use both hands to test a circuit. Be nice if I could clip one of the leads to free up my hand.
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 12:24   #59

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Amprobe TL36A Test Leads with Alligator Clips, 1000V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029XS6KW..._nJ9nBbH3APBRC

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 12:28   #60

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian007 View Post
I understand, what I meant was it's awkward having to use both hands to test a circuit. Be nice if I could clip one of the leads to free up my hand.
It isw not uncommon to have an alligator clip that slips onto a probe. Probably more common than not. Logic circuit not as much.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, purchase