One of the many parts
on my newly purchased boat
which needed fixing was the 52 mm round voltmeter which sat recessed above the main switch. I wanted an economical solution as it would be temporary until I moved the batteries
to a better location.
After much hunting around and not finding anything suitable for a direct replacement (had to be cheap), I went for an alternative. For one dollar, I bought a rectangular voltmeter (total $5.30 including postage to my door, ebay seller dayxmas) and made a frame for it.
First I tried a solid piece of wood to mount it in but with my level of woodworking skills, I managed to botch it up. Then I tried a thin piece of ply which after being cut out, became a template for two more. Glued the three pieces together and painted it.
was easy. It pokes out further than the old flush mounted one but it protudes less than the switch. I checked it against my multimeter and no problems.
Previous to the new voltmeter, with ongoing work
on battery charging
and discharging, I had been constantly moving gear
from the seats above the batteries
to get access to check voltage then moving everything back onto the seats so I could move around the cabin
. Now, I can check easily, no moving of stuff.
My long term plan is to move the batteries as they are in key storage
areas in the cabin
which would be more beneficial for other things.
My only concern has to do with the fact that the boat
is filled with what appear to be 'temp' problem fixes that end up being permanent. I don't want to add to it. I justify it by saying it is part of Phase 1 which is to get the boat seaworthy
to sail the 500 mile to home base. Then Phase 2 will be serious renewing of systems.