Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2021, 15:55   #31

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Portable Generators Can Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
You do realize that diesels create more particulate than gas. Usually by about 13%. They may burn less fuel but are easily as bad and most likely worse than gasoline.

Yes, they do. I was specifically talking about CO emissions, not any of the other stuff engines put out.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 12:40   #32

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Many people don't realize that there can be a backdraft from the stern of the boat forward, especially when not moving. A gen sitting on the lazarrette could be deadly if this goes into the cabin. My state requires a sticker about C0 on new craft, although I seldom see them. They don't provide enough info anyway.

I've got exactly that sticker! - posted on the bulkhead right in front of your face when you are seated on the head!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 06:51   #33

Boat: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinF View Post
Any sailor who runs a portable generator on his yacht should read this scary report.

https://www.propublica.org/article/c...ontent=feature

In summary, a generator can kill you even thru a slightly open hatch.
OMG! OMG! OMG! Thank you so much. I ran out to my stowage locker, threw open to hatch, grabbed my portable generator, and flung it as far overboard as I could. Thank you so much for saving my life.
Old 24-12-2021, 07:42   #34

I wonder if we are getting a wee too reliant on gadgets n doo dads
I think I would head for another anchorage if my neighbor started up his genny
Don't get me wrong... every thing has a purpose but....
On the news this morning (local) station.... a story line ran before my eyes
Scientist invents lickable tv screen .... you can guess the rest... WTF
merry christmas to all folks
arcticmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 07:51   #35

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Any sailor who runs a portable generator on his yacht should read this scary report.

Being afraid seems to be a fashionable thing these days. Welcome to the paranoia generation.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 08:03   #36

Quote:

Yup, anything that emits carbon monoxide can kill. Running such equipment requires care. Even a fixed generator aboard a boat has its hazards. Wind direction must be watched. Good ventilation must be maintained. It seems inevitable that governments will be making even more rules on generators that will burden everyone over lack of attention by a few. Will we see special licenses issued just to own and run a generator and other portable engine powered equipment ? Lets hope that people will educate themselves and be cautious.
Dieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 08:20   #37

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Common sense warnings are exceeding easy to ridicule. But many folks don't grow up on the farm or in the rural countryside working on "stuff." We know there are many stupid ways to kill ones self or friends and family members. Just read the news.

For example, getting electrocuted swimming in a marina, happens every year. CO poisoning by a generators or a gas refrigerators happens. Earlier this week 7 Honduran immigrantes died of CO poisoning in their home in northern Minnesota.

Filling SCUBA tanks I make sure to put the air intake upwind of the compressor motor exhaust and I check for backdrafts when near a building or on the boat. Am meticulous about changing filter. Just common sense.

That said, there are many folks that simply don't have any common sense. So, a warning to put an issue on the radar, expecially in CF is a good public service messaging. You don't know what you don't know.

When is the last time you checked and greased your O-rings on the fresh water tanks and fuel fill?
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 08:23   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogscout View Post
So Carbon Monoxide will kill you. Does this apply to fixed generators and other internal combustion engines?

Seems to me I recall a situation a few years ago where CO from a installed generator built up under a catamaran where children were swimming and there was a fatality. Those catamarans are scary too.
I believe they went under a Houseboat swim platform, the bottom of which was underwater and not vented. Certainly could have been a catamaran too.
mtwolf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 08:28   #39

CO KILLS. Killed my brother in a travel trailer. I almost died in a hotel room. 18 wheeler parked outside running all night. It’s -20f. My room is on second floor w in window ac/heat unit. CO/exhaust from truck ends up coming in via window unit. I wake up w massive headache. Figure it out due to “smell”. It takes a looong time to get CO out of your body. Thank God truck was putting out more than CO. CO has no smell.
Lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 08:35   #40

Seems that a CO monitor is required kit just for hotel stays.
Old 24-12-2021, 08:51   #41

Boat: CT47 Ketch

Yep. My Balmar does not produce fumes. I am not really against generators at all. But I am highly in favor of simplicity.

If you add a second high output alternator driven by your diesel, you will be able to charge a substantial house bank routinely.

You will also have a backup in case the engine alternator goes kaput. You will be operating/testing your very important drive engine routinely.

We used to put a little Honda on the deck of the schooner to drive the trillion watts of Christmas lights. Fine little machine. We kept the gas can on deck as well..

Living near the water is dangerous. Living on a boat, more so. Living on a moving boat, even more so.
dbraymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 08:59   #42

The only safe boat is one that stays tied to the dock with nobody aboard. I've always been apprehensive about gasoline powered accessories aboard. But at the cost and added weight of portable diesel equipment, it is out of reach of many boaters to fit out with such things as diesel outboard for dingy, portable diesel generator, and portable emergency diesel dewatering pump.
Old 24-12-2021, 09:29   #43

Only 70 killed a year. Surprised that its not more. And the biggest problem is Gasoline generators. Propane so much better.
Of course on boats, most of us use diesel. It is much safer that gasoline. But still have to be careful. I has a 46 foot sailboat that was set up to run on 110V (holdover frig/freezer, watermaker, batteries etc). Had a 7.5kw onan but saved it for the 20-gal/hr watermaker. Daily ran my trusty efficient honda 2000. One hr a day gave me all the battery, large frig and freezer that I needed. The H 2000 ran at higher rpms for maybe 10 min then went down to near idle for the rest of the hr. Ran the Onan for water about one every 2 wks to fill the tanks. Ran the Honda on the very aft deck of the 46 foot center cockpit. Being at anchor the stern was almost always way down wind of everything. But still had a carbon monoxide alarm.

If you have a gasoline generator that you keep mainly for emergencies. Convert it to Propane asap. It is much safer, and unlike gasoline, it will run when you need it. It doesn’t go bad. Nor gum up the carb.

Yes, you have to respect it.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 09:31   #44

It never fails to amaze me how people on the internet are so quick to be snarky and come at someone who was just trying to make a point. Maybe it is that those who are on forums like these are sailors who already are safe and careful and have spent a lot of time thinking through all the dangers of being at sea (and yes, there are many- as a respected maritime safety expert once said (and I am paraphrasing), the ocean will kill you, it doesn't care about you). But if after reading the article one person takes a step back and thinks and then installs a CO detector or is a bit more careful with their portable generator, then the original poster did a good thing. I teach safety at sea, we always talk about CO, it's real and it's dangerous and for some people is more dangerous then some of the other "hazards" that have been mentioned. Off my soap box. Sorry if I offended anyone.
slipaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 09:50   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
The only safe boat is one that stays tied to the dock with nobody aboard. I've always been apprehensive about gasoline powered accessories aboard. But at the cost and added weight of portable diesel equipment, it is out of reach of many boaters to fit out with such things as diesel outboard for dingy, portable diesel generator, and portable emergency diesel dewatering pump.
Uh, diesels produce CO.
Lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator