Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2021, 07:32   #61

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Portable Generators Can Kill

Let's face it, warnings are posted on just about everything these days as a result of users exceeding the manufacturers' foreseen use or stupidity level. Most of this is driven by litigation.

There are, amazingly, a fair number of people who somehow know enough to not run generators indoors, not point guns at people, not bring the hair dryer in the shower. And then, there are others, who do not.

Sometimes, it's amazing how some people could just not know or ever have been exposed to enough insight to avoid doing really, really stupid things. But most of it is middle ground. Most people in USA NE have a CO detector in the house, but few know enough to clear snow from the direct vent outside. Enterprising house cleaners find out that mixing ammonia and bleach is bad. Boaters with internal generators know they have to watch the exhaust, but how many check the exhaust hose regularly?

There are, of course, the fear mongers who have to sensationalize. "Propane the Kiss of Death" is a recent thread here. Um OK. Keels falling off, another kiss of death. Heck, following a GPS route through fog direct back to the dock (through a breakwall) can cause the kiss of death too. Pilot house windows- kiss of death. Etc. Then there's the mother of all, Kalifornia Proposition 65 for which almost everything now has a warning label.

Anyway, for those who think things may have gone a bit overboard, a funny read: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...Before_Folding
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 07:38   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Let's face it, warnings are posted on just about everything these days as a result of users exceeding the manufacturers' foreseen use or stupidity level ...

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 11:37   #63

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Whenever the subject of portable generators on boats comes up, a bunch of people pop up stating that they routinely run a portable generator on their boat and they are not dead yet.

This is true of course, but the ones who have been killed by portable generators are no longer around to present their side of the story.

Running a portable (gas powered) generator on a boat is a pretty risky thing to do. There are risks to boating, but the generator increases the risks dramatically.

I don't (and wont) run a portable generator on my boat because I like being alive too much. It bothers me when other people encourage "newbies" to run portable generators on their boats when these people don't understand the risks involved.
You're free to do you. But based on the OP's link, only 70 people a year die from generator use (wanna bet that they weren't being used in accordance to safety protocols?). So. even if they can't tell their story, the numbers do it for them.

Boating is a 'risky thing to do'. According to the USCG "there were 767 boating fatalities nationwide in 2020". There's nothing to show that using a generator increases the risk "dramatically".

Running a generator is safe, when you do it properly (just like boating).
Old 28-12-2021, 11:39   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

ROFLMAO

I'm stealing this one...
Old 28-12-2021, 11:59   #65

Boat: Jeanneau 349

These threads always get me. There’s a number of people adamantly against it but the only risk really there is if you are an idiot. Common sense will keep you safe just fine and to be saying “I value my life too much to run a portable generator on a boat” is just ridiculous. Guaranteed you are doing other things in your life that are significantly more risky than running a portable generator responsibly.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 20:45   #66

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipaway View Post
It never fails to amaze me how people on the internet are so quick to be snarky and come at someone who was just trying to make a point. Maybe it is that those who are on forums like these are sailors who already are safe and careful and have spent a lot of time thinking through all the dangers of being at sea (and yes, there are many- as a respected maritime safety expert once said (and I am paraphrasing), the ocean will kill you, it doesn't care about you). But if after reading the article one person takes a step back and thinks and then installs a CO detector or is a bit more careful with their portable generator, then the original poster did a good thing. I teach safety at sea, we always talk about CO, it's real and it's dangerous and for some people is more dangerous then some of the other "hazards" that have been mentioned. Off my soap box. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Exactly right.

Some of us came to this forum to learn, having begun sailing just 14 months ago.

Knowing I would buy a Honda generator once I learned enough to stay out of the marina, I learned a lot about the exposure reading this forum as I was shopping for boats.

Armed with that knowledge this sort of thing now seems pretty elementary so I understand the ridicule but it was not elementary to me 18 months ago.

I am certainly taking many risks that are new to me but armed with information and with appropriate caution due to the discussions and debates on this forum on a wide variety of subjects.
Flyrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2021, 07:42   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipaway View Post
It never fails to amaze me how people on the internet are so quick to be snarky and come at someone who was just trying to make a point.
There's trying to make a point and them there's hyperbola/attempting to scare people. The OP cites the "scary report" form ProPublica - an 'investigative journalism" source (also prone to hyperbola).

As I alluded in my original post if gensets are scary (based on 70 deaths a year), other common household items must be absolutely terrifying, as they kill and injure far more people than gensets.

So it's fine to make a point; but don't try and scare people, you'll only make a fool of yourself.
Old 29-12-2021, 08:33   #68

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
So it's fine to make a point; but don't try and scare people, you'll only make a fool of yourself.
Actually, "notices" about dangerous things and activities scare the heck out of people and not uncommonly provoke rampant sharing of stupidity. Only those who see a bit of the bigger picture see the "sharer" as a fool.

Think sharks, pitbulls, and Corvettes. OH! And Murder Hornets. Meanwhile, pools get zero traction.

All that said, I'd long picked up live cone shells, and only after years did I discover I'd been picking them up backwards! Doh! So I wish somebody had said "don't pick up cone shells this way."
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2021, 09:12   #69

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
With what will you charge your electric equipment? What is more reliable than an IC engine? A few days of no sun, and solar charged batteries become expensive ballast. Perhaps expensive, but diesel can be purchased at most ports in the world.
Amazing username/post combo

Tags
generator