Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2020, 10:32   #16

Boat: Hanse 430e
Re: Out of hundreds of inverters, which one is best value for the money?

If you're gonna buy a Chinese inverter you'll get low cost and a short life. But a Victron or Mastervolt and go to sleep without worrying. Is it that hard?
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 11:54   #17

Boat: Beneteau 343

So far so good with my Promariner TruePower Pure Sinewave model.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 12:02   #18

Boat: Hylas 54

I found the Outback charger/inverters to be very good. Lots of features, programmable, scaleable, etc. Not cheap, but the value is there.

M-Series - OutBack Power Inc
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 12:37   #19

Thanks everyone for the input as I had a freedom from years ago and it blew up because of a bad negative connection in our dock power throwing it into on/off stutter for hours and destroyed it. I got a heart interface 4000 very reasonably, powerful charger but still its modified sine wave and due for upgrade. And of course we'd all love the Outback and this used victron is a great deal, Im truly tempted.

Anyway my question is regarding the widely used and sold Renology inverters which are decent quality but much cheaper, yet Im not finding really solid reports on the Renology company. Seems theyre successful but a bit sketchy according to many reports as of course we'd expect with the too-low prices..kind of a Harbor Frieght of solar off grid outfit, retailing imports with less than stellar quality..If even serviceable as claimed.

Any Renology fans who can attest to good service?

Thanks again, great topic and very helpful discussion! And thanks Cruisers Forum for the good work.
doog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 13:28   #20

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

If you just got a Victron MPPT, get s Victron!!! For integration, you’ll see everything on their app. We have a Xantrex SW2012. My next one will be a Victron!
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 14:06   #21

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

we've had no issues with our Xantrax pro watt true sine 1800/2000W. We run a 1500W hot water kettle off it every morning. Our 530W of solar and 450AmpHr Lead acid bank have no issue keeping up with the load of refer, Spectra 160 watermaker and charging devices, etc. At $350 it's not the cheapest on the market, but it is rated for marine use and is a true sine wave
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 14:44   #22

Bought a used Mastervolt Mass Combi 12/2000 120v inverter / charger on Ebay for $715 USD delivered, and it has been perfect. In my mind, buying second hand top quality good condition gear is way better than buying new but inferior products.
Steve Lavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 15:08   #23

Boat: Island Packet 420

I recently purchased several inverters (from China which is where most of the other branded inverters come from) and learned a few things. The first inverter I purchased claimed to be a 2000 watt inverter. Many motors, when first turned on, use more than its stated wattage on start up, so a 1500 watt appliance most likely will not start up on a 2000 watt inverter.

Also, many of the manufacturers lie. I opened up the box on the first supposedly 2000 watt inverter I purchased. Keep in mind that a 2000 watt inverter, operating in a 12V DC system, should put out 2000/12 = 167 amps. But when we looked at the fusing inside the inverter, there was only 140 amps of fuses! So, the most that inverter could actually put out was 140 X 12 = 1680 watts. Needless to say, I sent it back and ordered a 3000 watt inverter, which now powers what I wanted although it also is not a truly 3000 watt inverter.

Depending on what you are using the inverter for, you may need to make sure you are getting a true sine wave. I tested the inverters for the advertised sine wave with an oscilloscope and found those were true.

At a minimum, when you receive an inverter, open the box and take a look at the fusing inside- see what your true wattage is.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 15:12   #24

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

Most inverters have a tamper proof sticker over one of the screws so IF you open the box it'll have no warranty anyway??!!
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 15:20   #25

Boat: Island Packet 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS View Post
Most inverters have a tamper proof sticker over one of the screws so IF you open the box it'll have no warranty anyway??!!
None of the ones I ordered had that issue and the company took back the one I returned, no problem. But gee, isn't that a way for the manufacturer to prevent you from finding out the truth about what's inside?
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 15:41   #26

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

I think this discussion can divert slightly to discuss if there is any brand that has sealed units for marine use. Outback, Victron & Chinese ones that I've seen all rely on ventilation for cooling. Is there any brand that has heatsink, sealed cooling?
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 15:49   #27

Boat: Cheoy Lee perry 35

Have a look at edisons australia

The inverters are not victron quality, but they are a fraction of the price (I paid $200 for the 1500/3000 true sine) , and are true sine (have confirmed with o-scope). I have two 1500/3000 peak inverters and I have never failed to run anything, including a 1600w vacuum cleaner. They take significant abuse with power tools and reactive loads and I have no problems over 3 years.

The only potential issue is that they are not true ground independent as they run a high voltage DC / IGBT configuration so the output should not be grounded to the input (it does not fry the inverter to do so, but it does make the 'high' supply rail oscillate which is not good for it). If used with double insulated equipment (as we do), it is fine and safe. But it should not be used with single insulated equipment.
Wixlandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 16:48   #28

Boat: Cheer Men PT41

I installed a 2000 watt pure sine wave AIMS inverter - wouldn't run my microwave. Upgraded to 3000 watt and has been faultless for 2 years+. 2
mickand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 09:04   #29
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

@sailing_gal #23:
Quote:
Also, many of the manufacturers lie. I opened up the box on the first supposedly 2000 watt inverter I purchased. Keep in mind that a 2000 watt inverter, operating in a 12V DC system, should put out 2000/12 = 167 amps.
You are absolutely on the right track but a slight correction is needed in your calculation. A 2000W/120VAC inverter will output 2000W/120VAC = 16.7AAC. To feed this the unit will require an input from the 12VDC battery bank of: 2000W/12VDC = 167ADC. Of course this assumes 100% efficiency in the energy conversion process.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:15   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Eleuthera 60

Buy the Victron...it is worth the price and is always easy to sell if need be.
sv Stella Maris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, money