Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 09:11   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: How to Make a Suitcase Generator Safe for Storage Below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
Hi DH,

I seem to remember that you are anti-propane so I won't suggest that you convert the Honda to propane. However, doing so would allow you to burn all the fuel from the generator every time you shut it down. Thus, solving below deck fuel storage problem.

There is a mod to the EU2000i that allows the fuel in the carb to be consumed when shutting down the generator. It involves adding a switch to the generator to separate the shutting off the electrical and fuel functions.

Information on the above can be found at https://www.hutchmountain.com/

Some years ago I also had a Honda 1000. In order to not have to store in below decks I had a storage box built and mounted on the aft deck. It was a simple white box with teak trim that match the general boat theme.

Also, i discovered that if a suspended that if I used the topping lift to suspend the generator above the deck it seemed to be much quieter.
Hi: Thanks for that. That mod is interesting.

I actually thought about propane -- I'm only "anti" using it inside the cabin; otherwise I have nothing against it. Propane would solve certain problems, including the big one of carb gumming up on a seldom used device like this. But the problem is carrying enough of it. 2x 20 liter jerry cans of petrol, one of which I'm carrying anyway for the dinghy, is equivalent to 30kg of propane -- I wouldn't know how I'd carry that much propane.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:17   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I see much of this discussion missing the point that its a temporary situation, and a 'what if'?

Probably DH will not ever start the generator.

Carry on....

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:33   #63

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

I actually thought about propane -- I'm only "anti" using it inside the cabin; otherwise I have nothing against it. Propane would solve certain problems, including the big one of carb gumming up on a seldom used device like this. But the problem is carrying enough of it. 2x 20 liter jerry cans of petrol, one of which I'm carrying anyway for the dinghy, is equivalent to 30kg of propane -- I wouldn't know how I'd carry that much propane.
The way you would carry it, if you chose to do so, would be in two 30# (or two 40#) aluminum cylinders.

Sure Marine Service, Inc. | Aluminum Propane (LPG) Tanks
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:30   #64
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

In the States, a standard barbeque propane bottle would be 20#, although they only fill them to 17# these days. So let's say it is almost a 10kg bottle if actually filled. Carrying three of those would not seem terribly difficult. Probably a tad more than twice the space that jerry can needs but depending on what odd spaces you have available, maybe not so bad. Unless I got my math wrong again.

OTOH, you might also need a "universal" propane valve adapter kit, not so easy to get unless you plan ahead. And there are more regulations--everywhere--about filling versus swaps, and pressure tests on the tanks. More complicated than gasoline in the long run, but "never have to clean the carburetor" does have a certain charm.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:00   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
In the States, a standard barbeque propane bottle would be 20#, although they only fill them to 17# these days. So let's say it is almost a 10kg bottle if actually filled. Carrying three of those would not seem terribly difficult. Probably a tad more than twice the space that jerry can needs but depending on what odd spaces you have available, maybe not so bad. Unless I got my math wrong again.

OTOH, you might also need a "universal" propane valve adapter kit, not so easy to get unless you plan ahead. And there are more regulations--everywhere--about filling versus swaps, and pressure tests on the tanks. More complicated than gasoline in the long run, but "never have to clean the carburetor" does have a certain charm.
That's all very logical, but since I will probably never even start this one, I think I will keep it simple.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 07-03-2018, 11:13   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I see much of this discussion missing the point that its a temporary situation, and a 'what if'?

Probably DH will not ever start the generator.

Carry on....

No, we have not missed the point that this is a temporary situation.
You are right that DH will not ever start the generator because we have nearly talked him out of taking one. Instead he is going to improve his fuel system....

Can you see the shiny day tank Weavis, it looks great, the neatly installed valves, the sight glass, the breather, the polishing pump, and look there Weavis, he's decided to install a huge Racor combined filter water separator. This really is something to be proud of!!! It's everything that Jedi's system is and more!
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:26   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
No, we have not missed the point that this is a temporary situation.
You are right that DH will not ever start the generator because we have nearly talked him out of taking one. Instead he is going to improve his fuel system....

Can you see the shiny day tank Weavis, it looks great, the neatly installed valves, the sight glass, the breather, the polishing pump, and look there Weavis, he's decided to install a huge Racor combined filter water separator. This really is something to be proud of!!! It's everything that Jedi's system is and more!
Next boat for sure, but not this one.

Fuel system is not the only thing which can go wrong with a diesel generator (unfortunately!), so fuel system improvements are not a guaranty. And anyway I already have good fuel system backup in the form of a jerry can with dip tubes and return inlet.

And I already have "dual Racor combined filter water separators" -- was I think the first modification I did to my boat, before I even closed the purchase.
Walt Whitman
Old 07-03-2018, 12:31   #68
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

So what was the fuel system problem then, if you have it all in good order? It is either good and just works, or it isn't good and causes problems. You need to fix what didn't work before, not throw money at something you never (want) to use.

Same with the pulley: make sure it never comes off again
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:49   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
So what was the fuel system problem then, if you have it all in good order? It is either good and just works, or it isn't good and causes problems. You need to fix what didn't work before, not throw money at something you never (want) to use.

Same with the pulley: make sure it never comes off again
It was an air leak at the lift pump, not the boat's fuel system. In 9 years and 2000 hours I've only had two immobilizing generator failures -- that one and a bad electrical connection to the lift pump. I was able to remedy both by myself, but both times it took some time due to difficulty in diagnosing it.

But fuel is not the only thing which can go wrong with a generator. The control systems sometimes go out, sometimes the generator head fails. I do have a spare starter, but I'm not going to carry a spare generator head.

Yes, of course, as I said, what you say is perfectly sound and rational advice, which I wholeheartedly agree with, to be dmaned sure that the primary systems are in perfect order, before futzing with backups. Of course this is correct. But my paranoia is rooted in the remoteness of the area where I will be sailing -- I'm not sure you quite imagine what that is -- not the West Coast of Greenland, which has a few towns and is ice free for part of the year, but the wild East Coast, a couple of thousand miles of largely uncharted and usually ice-bound coast with only two tiny hamlets on the whole stretch of it. I will sleep better at night (well, there won't be any night when we're there) knowing that I have a source of power which will work no matter what goes wrong with absolutely anything else in the electrical system. I would not feel this way cruising in any normal place.
Walt Whitman
Old 07-03-2018, 17:20   #70

Boat: Moana 33

A back-up genny for the back-up genny for the alternator??? You could back-up those "essential" electronics with: (a) some battery-operated emergency nav lights, (b) a paper chart, (c) a galley foot-operated water pump, (d) some non-perishable foods, and hey - electronics no longer required. How did mankind ever survive without gizzmos?
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 18:21   #71

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

Convert the dinghy motor to propane too, problem solved!

I was actually considering this route for myself. My current dink is a bit much to bring with me (12' RIB, 25hp, console) as I dont have davits. So I was considering getting a smaller roll-up or airfloor dink and throwing on a 5hp propane outboard. Since I wont be using it often, not having to deal with the gas would make like easier. Same would go for a small generator I'm, considering. Using propane would make me fell better about storing it inside the fore-dungeon. Though I also have a propane stove and BBQ, so the propane wont go to waste anywhere.
CaptNemoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 18:50   #72
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Well yes, an air leak is disabling when you don't have a pressurized fuel feed. I just start the fuel prime pump and the air leak becomes a slow diesel drip but the engine runs while it also shows the location of the problem. For $100 and an hour or two this upgrade can be yours. Makes filter changes a pleasure as well.

Another trouble maker for the genset is the impeller raw water pump. I have removed the impeller and installed a March magnetic drive A/C pump instead (powered by genset output). The spares I carry have solved every genset problem in 15 years: exhaust injection elbow, relays, V-belts, impellers before I changed the pump, rubber end cap for heat exchanger, oil and fuel filters. I have more spare parts but these were the ones that were needed.
For going where you are going with a sailboat, one auxiliary engine plus one auxiliary genset would be enough for me. Primary systems can run on solar power alone and the rest is luxury items that could be missed when both engines stop working.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:37   #73

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Didn't read the whole thread... and maybe others have suggested this...

But one option is to select a generator that can be converted to run on propane. (I've seen both Yamaha and Honda, converted, on line.)

Then just disconnect the propane source. Doubt the small amount of remaining fuel would deteriorate.

The propane tank could also feed an outdoor grill, etc.

-Chris
Old 08-03-2018, 05:50   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Dock Head,

Please remind us once again if you itinerary. Just briefly, where you hope to make landfall. I know you’ve posted before but not sure which thread.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:50   #75
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
How did mankind ever survive without gizzmos?
The death rates were 100x higher than society would accept nowadays, or many of us would be willing to risk personally.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, storage