Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2018, 12:25   #91

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: How to Make a Suitcase Generator Safe for Storage Below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
DH,

The mod to the EU2000i to burn all of the fuel out of its carb has now be added to the new EU2200i/ic. So, now you can get the new Honda off the shelf that burns all of the fuel out of the carb.
And by the way, thanks. Also a good tip.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 13:09   #92
Zil

Slocum? Is that the same that eventually was lost at sea?
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 13:23   #93

Boat: Moana 33

Slocum was the guy who rebuilt the rotting hulk of a fishing boat lying in a farmer's field and sailed it around the world singlehanded via the Beagle Channel. Carried on sailing singlehanded into his 80's, if I remember right. When we have achieved all of that (and so much more) then we've earned the right to criticise him.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 14:35   #94

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Dockhead, just watch out for the polar bears. They are mans only natural predator and with global warming and all, their food supply has been cut short so they are hungry. You'll probable be OK but just something to be aware of.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 14:38   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Slocum? Is that the same that eventually was lost at sea?
Yep, the guy that heard voices in the cockpit while he was down below. I think he even saw a few strangers there.
Old 08-04-2018, 14:45   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Yep, the guy that heard voices in the cockpit while he was down below suffering from an extreme fever... which fortunately didn't kill him, as he was alone.
Slocum bashing - it's as well he's dead so he doesn't have to read any of this dribble from us who are too pathetic to emulate him.
Old 08-04-2018, 15:12   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
Slocum bashing - it's as well he's dead so he doesn't have to read any of this dribble from us who are too pathetic to emulate him.
Josh would have enjoyed the humor.
Old 08-04-2018, 15:19   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Josh would have enjoyed the humor.
Okay, humor, sorry didn't get the humor. Doubt he would have got it either but maybe so.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:23   #99

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I think I actually have a solution to this.

It is possible to buy the Hyundai HY2000Si in a dual fuel version:

https://www.generators-direct.co.uk/...trol-generator

for about a boat buck.

Here's a Yamaha option. This one happens to be a US source, but there seem to be several links to other sources that Mr. Google will turn up.

https://www.motorsnorkel.com/ef20isv...generator.html

-Chris
Old 09-04-2018, 05:52   #100

Boat: Artella 22

Always keep in mind that gasoline (benzine) fumes are heavier than air. They will collect at the lowest point and will stay there if not forced away. You dont smell anything unless you put your down there.
And the fumes are explosive!
Bjorn_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:14   #101
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

DH,

If I were in your shoes, (I am a DC power geek and an employee of an alternator manufacturer)

1. Spare alternator. If only that you may need one in place to run your engine. Having replaced an alternator (saltwater leak sprayed on back of it) while anchored of an uninhabited island, I would not think of going without a spare. Include a spare, pre-programmed regulator with it's own harness.
2. Solar. I know, windage. For the price of a portable genset, you can buy one or two semi-flexible panels. Nothing beats power generation without fuel. Think Zombie Apocalypse , or major system failure transiting oceans. When you need to power your radio, batteries are dead, and .....

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:22   #102

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
DH,

If I were in your shoes, (I am a DC power geek and an employee of an alternator manufacturer)

1. Spare alternator. If only that you may need one in place to run your engine. Having replaced an alternator (saltwater leak sprayed on back of it) while anchored of an uninhabited island, I would not think of going without a spare. Include a spare, pre-programmed regulator with it's own harness.
2. Solar. I know, windage. For the price of a portable genset, you can buy one or two semi-flexible panels. Nothing beats power generation without fuel. Think Zombie Apocalypse , or major system failure transiting oceans. When you need to power your radio, batteries are dead, and .....

Chris
Thanks for that.

Concerning the spare alternator -- did you catch the fact mentioned above that I have DUAL alternators on my main engine, and that I have a spare for the big one? We're only talking about the standard alternator whose output I don't care about.

Concerning solar -- yeah, had it on the last boat, love it, but no place for it. If there were some roll-up panels which would produce a useful amount of power ABOVE THE ARCTIC CIRCLE, then that could be interesting. Otherwise, this is not a variant which will work for me.

Cheers.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 09-04-2018, 06:26   #103

Running gas out of carburetor on Honda eu2000i... There’s an on and off switch on the generator. When it’s turned OFF two things happen: the fuel line is shut off and the spark plug is grounded out. The generator stops immediately, leaving gasoline in the fuel line and in the carburetor. If the access panel is removed you’ll find low down and slightly to the right of midline of the generator a green plastic connector. Disconnecting this gets rid of the spark plug grounding function. Now when the switch is turned to OFF the generator continues to run until the carburetor is essentially empty. There is a tiny residual amount of gasoline in the carb which is easily drained with the drain valve on the bottom of the carb.

Apparently the new eu2200i allows you to do this from the ON-OFF switch, with a selection turning off the fuel line only, and another selection both turning off the fuel line and grounding the spark plug.

Propane conversion of these generators is a great option, with several companies supplying kits to do this. I have three converted with kit from Genconnex which operate flawlessly.
FL Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:32   #104

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Dan View Post
Running gas out of carburetor on Honda eu2000i... There’s an on and off switch on the generator. When it’s turned OFF two things happen: the fuel line is shut off and the spark plug is grounded out. The generator stops immediately, leaving gasoline in the fuel line and in the carburetor. If the access panel is removed you’ll find low down and slightly to the right of midline of the generator a green plastic connector. Disconnecting this gets rid of the spark plug grounding function. Now when the switch is turned to OFF the generator continues to run until the carburetor is essentially empty. There is a tiny residual amount of gasoline in the carb which is easily drained with the drain valve on the bottom of the carb.

Apparently the new eu2200i allows you to do this from the ON-OFF switch, with a selection turning off the fuel line only, and another selection both turning off the fuel line and grounding the spark plug.

Propane conversion of these generators is a great option, with several companies supplying kits to do this. I have three converted with kit from Genconnex which operate flawlessly.
Thank you! Excellent information
Walt Whitman
Old 09-04-2018, 06:45   #105

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Just a thought but if it's going to be a brand new Honda why not leave it in the original package and put it on a spare berth or anywhere. No need to start it and spill gasoline before it's needed, except for the piece of mind but that doesn't make it anymore certain it will start the next time...

Teddy
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, storage