Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2022, 14:07   #16

Boat: Allmand 31'
Re: How do you keep batteries from overheating in Florida climate?

noelex 77

Thanks for this.
So, at 30C/86F the lifespan of a flooded battery has been cut in half and at 40C/104F cut with 75%??
It would be interesting to know what the design life of the battery is in years or months.....

VIKINGBEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 14:29   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKINGBEAR View Post
noelex 77

Thanks for this.
So, at 30C/86F the lifespan of a flooded battery has been cut in half and at 40C/104F cut with 75%??
It would be interesting to know what the design life of the battery is in years or months.....

The table related to the reduction in cycles. This was for a specific model of a commercial deep cycle battery. The performance will not be identical for all types of lead acid batteries, but the overall trend is the same. The lifespan suffers considerably at warmer temperatures.

Try to keep the batteries as cool as possible.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 14:32   #18

You have three batteries in parallel, and the nominal voltage is 12V. So do the calculation based upon 6 cells X nominal 2V.

We had a common car alternator on our main engine. Most car alternators charge the battery to say 14.4V. I misstated the term "rectifier" and should have used "regulator". In our case we purchased a 13.6-7V regulator and replaced the 14.4V regulator inside the alternator. A good alternator repair shop should be able to do that for you.
Locquatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 16:02   #19

Noelex 77 and Locquatious.

Thanks a lot for your replies. Much appreciate your responses. It now start to make sense for me.
Noelex 77 in Norwegian the name of your boat Bestevaer would translate to Best weather, but I guess you knew that.....
Old 12-12-2022, 07:09   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKINGBEAR View Post
I have installed new Solar Charge Controllers which can measure temperature in the battery compartment and was shocked yesterday to see temperatures in the mid to upper 90s Fahrenheit (35-38C) and its not even summer here where air temp can climb up to mid-90s or more, and close to 100 % humidity, The outside air temp yesterday was only 85F.

This is something I have not given any consideration to earlier. My bad.

Any suggestions on how to remedy without installing air-conditioner? Will installing fans pushing or pulling air (which is also warm) over the batteries help somewhat?

Or should I just accept that very little can be done and start saving up money to buy new batteries in a few years?

Four new FLA batteries, three Group 31 house bank and one Group 24 starter batt.

How do other sailors cope with this problem? Appreciate hearing from you.
Thank you.
Move out of Florida? Just kidding! You might consider a small fan with sensor on it to turn it on at a preset temperature. More importantly vent the area. Depending where the batteries are it may be as simple as opening the area up when the boat is not in use. If that isn’t an option consider install a permanent vent.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 07:49   #21

Boat: Catalina 30

I've found the temperature in our boat varies with height in the cabin. Our batteries are under a settee and are below the waterline. This summer while on the hard I measured temperatures near the cabin roof of 110 degrees F. The temps near the sole were only in the mid-high 90s. I did have the hatches open and a fan blowing.

Best way to keep your boat cooler is with a boom tent. We used one before we added A/C and it makes quite a difference. I also made insulators for the windows out of mirrored mylar bubble wrap.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 08:49   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Don"t worry about it:
It is a non-issue.
In the summer it may get hot, just add distilled water every 2-3 weeks if you are running lead acid batteries.
I live in the Caribbean where the temperature is in the 30's most days, most days of the year. I can't add any distilled water as mine are sealed no maintenance batteries.
As the above quote says"...it's a non-issue"
Richbayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 16:28   #23

Have just replaced the computer fan in my battery box after 22 years. With an identical one from Amazon. 4x4in x about 1/2in 12/24.v Just a few dollar's. Battery boxes should be ventilated for cooling and gas dispersal.
Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 18:01   #24

Thank you all for your inputs.

Very much appreciated and I am considering some.

It appears installing small computer type fans and/or creating a "chimney effect " may be viable alternatives.

I also checked with the local Alternator repair shop to see if my alternator could be adjusted as was suggested here, but was told that the regulator on the alternator I have - Delco-Remy BE, 10 SI - can not be adjusted from the present.

Output measured is approximately 14.4V

For now I just leave the battery compartment open when docked at the Marina which helps, plus we have also had a very nice drop in temperatures lately.

Again, thanks to all.
Old 14-12-2022, 02:28   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

A small computer fan will only help slightly to dissipate heat in the large mass of a typical yacht battery bank. I suspect these are usually installed to discharge the explosive hydrogen gas that is generated when charging lead acid batteries.

In most installations hydrogen gas will vent without the aid of a fan, but if you do install one make sure it is ignition protected.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2022, 02:34   #26

If you can't change the alternator output you could fit a silicone diode of a rating the same as or a bit more than the alternator to drop the sensed voltage down a bit. If you need a bigger drop fit 2 inline. From memory it's about 0.5v drop per diode. The cheaper split chargers use these sort of diodes.
m0ggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, florida, heating, overheating