Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2022, 07:28   #1

Boat: Allmand 31'
How do you keep batteries from overheating in Florida climate?

I have installed new Solar Charge Controllers which can measure temperature in the battery compartment and was shocked yesterday to see temperatures in the mid to upper 90s Fahrenheit (35-38C) and its not even summer here where air temp can climb up to mid-90s or more, and close to 100 % humidity, The outside air temp yesterday was only 85F.

This is something I have not given any consideration to earlier. My bad.

Any suggestions on how to remedy without installing air-conditioner? Will installing fans pushing or pulling air (which is also warm) over the batteries help somewhat?

Or should I just accept that very little can be done and start saving up money to buy new batteries in a few years?

Four new FLA batteries, three Group 31 house bank and one Group 24 starter batt.

How do other sailors cope with this problem? Appreciate hearing from you.
Thank you.
VIKINGBEAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, florida, heating, overheating