Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2020, 08:29   #1

Honda Portable Generator: Will This Work?

Please tell me if this solution will work with a Honda Portable generator?

Please suggest improvements. primary concern is safety due to CO in exhaust. I will multiple CO detectors installed. If all hatches and companion are shut would you sleep with the generator running with generator installed as described below?

1. Place Generator in plastic storage(see link below).

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Plasti.../dp/B06X1853L6

2. Attached Fan at link below on inside of storage box where the large vents are

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...LFOCKWCW&psc=1

3. Secure storage box in lazerette locker

4. Cut hole and install vent at link below on outside of lazerette locker facing into cockpit.

https://www.boaterbits.ca/products/b...louvered-white

5. Run 8' exhaust extension(see link below) through top of hull abaft the port quarter(I think abaft the port or starboard quarter is better than astern because when at anchor with bow pointing into the wind there can be suction just astern that potentially can cause exhaust to come inboard).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...GM28NC48&psc=1

6. Run cord from generator output to shore power input

7. Power Honda Portable generator using propane from 20 lb propane tank(the kind you can exchange rather refill), that is inside lazerette secured next to Honda Portable Generator.

7. Alternatives to #1 to #2 above: are (A) Install fan on inside of lazerette where air vent to outside is located per #4 OR, (B) skip using storage box per #1 and install fan on inside of lazerette where air vent to outside is located per #4. Which of the three alternatives do you think is better?
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 09:11   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Honda Portable Generator: Will This Work?

Just to be clear,

You want to put an air cooled engine, burning an explosive fuel, into an enclosed space with the same explosive fuel strapped next to it?

There’s nothing about your planned “installation” of this generator that sounds like a good idea.

Just my humble opinion.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 10:44   #3

I’ve had and have a portable generator for many years. We used it with our camper often- this topic is common In the RV community.

But...the RV is above the land and the explosive gases can be vented much easier. A fire is easier to put out as well.

Somewhere the calculations exist for a Honda 2k and how many BTU’s need to be exhausted safely - and how CFM,s of air is needed- its a significant amount of air and the fans that lack any redundancy are a huge concern.
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 10:47   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-rocks View Post
I’ve had and have a portable generator for many years. We used it with our camper often- this topic is common In the RV community.

But...the RV is above the land and the explosive gases can be vented much easier. A fire is easier to put out as well.

Somewhere the calculations exist for a Honda 2k and how many BTU’s need to be exhausted safely - and how CFM,s of air is needed- its a significant amount of air and the fans that lack any redundancy are a huge concern.

In an RV scenario you really are only concerned with removal of heat. The exhaust is a concern, but easy to mitigate, the fuel isn’t really a concern, it’s mitigated by t he environment.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 10:52   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

The underlying task - Honda generators are reliable and not expensive, but where do you put them to avoid CO etc., has been approached multiple times on this forum, or at least at length. The concensus has been to go the opposite direction from your design - mount them in clear air above the transom or other places that will allow even a small breeze to carry off the exhaust. The combination of gasoline or propane plus heat/spark of genset plus very flammable fiberglass resin plus needing cooling air means that the confined route is likely to go boom in your face if it doesn't poison you in your sleep.
Old 14-06-2020, 09:26   #6

o I do not like to be a smart ass , BUT THERE ARE EASIER QUIETER AND LESS MESSY WAYS TO CO-MITE SUICIDE I think we should not even print your suggestions. Sorry! Michael Pope
Michael Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 09:26   #7

Boat: Hunter 310

Tethered to the swim platform. At anchor, the boat would turn into the wind. Always have 1-2 battery-powered CO alarms.
Granfalloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 09:37   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granfalloon View Post
Tethered to the swim platform. At anchor, the boat would turn into the wind. Always have 1-2 battery-powered CO alarms.
And based on years of boating in sail and power, exhaust behind the boat is often brought up into the cockpit of the boat by the circular vortex of air produced behind a transom.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 09:55   #9

Boat: Hardin 45 Ketch

I added solar panels and a wind gen. I do have a Honda generator for emergencies, but I keep it and fuel for it topside. I never leave it running at night.
Spapkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 09:59   #10

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Propane tank below decks is asking for it. They need to be in a separate compartment with a drain from the bottom of the comparment overboard. Propane is heavier than air so it will go to the lowest point in the boat if there is a leak - usually the bilge - and sit there waiting for a spark.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 10:03   #11

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augi View Post
Please tell me if this solution will work with a Honda Portable generator?

Please suggest improvements. primary concern is safety due to CO in exhaust. I will multiple CO detectors installed. If all hatches and companion are shut would you sleep with the generator running with generator installed as described below?

1. Place Generator in plastic storage(see link below).

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Plasti.../dp/B06X1853L6

2. Attached Fan at link below on inside of storage box where the large vents are

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...LFOCKWCW&psc=1

3. Secure storage box in lazerette locker

4. Cut hole and install vent at link below on outside of lazerette locker facing into cockpit.

https://www.boaterbits.ca/products/b...louvered-white

5. Run 8' exhaust extension(see link below) through top of hull abaft the port quarter(I think abaft the port or starboard quarter is better than astern because when at anchor with bow pointing into the wind there can be suction just astern that potentially can cause exhaust to come inboard).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...GM28NC48&psc=1

6. Run cord from generator output to shore power input

7. Power Honda Portable generator using propane from 20 lb propane tank(the kind you can exchange rather refill), that is inside lazerette secured next to Honda Portable Generator.

7. Alternatives to #1 to #2 above: are (A) Install fan on inside of lazerette where air vent to outside is located per #4 OR, (B) skip using storage box per #1 and install fan on inside of lazerette where air vent to outside is located per #4. Which of the three alternatives do you think is better?
This idea isn't sound, #7 will not pass USCG requirement for propane storage as there is no vent for Gas to the outside of the Lazerette, or a sealed container for the propane tank.
Rail mount may solve this issue.
Why not secure the generator on a platform suspended above deck by a halyard, and secured with bungees.
The platform will not rattle the deck if not attached to it by hard mounts.
Exhaust gases will be vented this way, no cable issues for the shore pwr cord just run it along the deck.
In rain, secure a cover over the generator, not completely covering it, just the top.
This leaves only splash if the waves get rough, or a tanker comes by with a wake.
I wouldn't sleep well if at all with a running generator aboard.
I'm not liking the idea proposed.
IMHO
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 10:21   #12

We use a yamaha 2400 both and it goes to the RV also. It's borderline with a 12k-13.5k btu air/con.

If it dies, we will probably go with a champion as honda/yamaha are great generators but wildly too expensive.
- We secured it on the back deck outside the cockpit with the exhaust pointed to the side so the breeze would carry away the CO (we also had a CO detector)
- These really do need a lot of air to stay cool and even with a fan, that's iffy in a compartment and you don't want to get fiberglass burning because it's really hard to put out.
- Propane & gasoline need to be stored in a bottom vented compartment and certainly not in the same compartment as the running generator.
- Storage: We solved this with a fiberglassed box that doubled as a seat in the cockpit. The generator went under this when not in use.
- Within practical limits, solar/wind power isn't going to run an air/con system.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 10:39   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Only way I would ever consider sleeping with a Honda running is maybe if we’re hanging from my davits.
But Airconditioning is a non starter, it just isn’t viable in a cruising situation except for rare instances in my opinion. ‘Many say we run our AC to cool the boat down and then we are fine overnight. I’ve tried that and with the boat closed up, it’s HOT inside in 30 min or less once you turn it off.
Then if you open the boat up to let air in, within 5 min it doesn’t matter if the AC was running or not.

I can only assume people who do this part time AC running are up North and consider 80F as hot, and are in cold water so the hull is cooled off constantly.

For us who are in 80F water and consider 90+ as hot the only way to make the AC work is to run it all night, that means of course run a generator all night, which works if you only out for your two week yearly vacation or maybe doing a weekend thing, but as far as cruising it’s not viable, that’s about 300 hours of generator running a month, and that’s way too much.

I have a Honda, and a built in Diesel generator, I use the Honda far more often based on an economics reason, but I will only run one overnight if It’s Hot as Hades and it’s raining, or the air is thick with mosquito’s.

But it’s my opinion that if your counting on running a generator every night to run an AC to sleep, your plan isn’t viable, best to rent a Marina slip.

With a soft start My Honda 2000 will easily run my 16,000 BTU and will do so in Eco mode.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 10:48   #14

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

We had an installation like this for a while, but, with high capacity explosion proof forced ventilation (in- & out blowers) which had to run for some minutes before start.
The whole installation was mounted in an aft lazerette which was 100% sealed from the rest of the boat.

The 2.6 kw genset which we used was similar to a Honda and with an electric starter and separated tank.

Exhaust vented overboard through a stainless hose with a special high temperature gastight silicon sleeve.

We did not use it for aircon, as we also never felt the need for it, even shoreside. Aircon is overrated, just get used to live without it. Most of the world does it :-)

The main problem was the huge amount of heat it generated despite the strong blowers. Eventually we moved it to a deck mounted box & now take the cover off when running it.
Even with commercial made insulation covers its almost impossible to remove the excess heat & still maintain proper air cooling.
To much heat is not good for the inverters.

To those saying no no no to this installation, there are petrol driven inboard engine installations on boats around. If you adhere to the proper installation guidelines/codes they are safe to use.

So, if one tries to install one of these gensets in its own compartment, one needs to at least follow these guidelines.

Bear in mind that an insurance is unlikely to pay if an accident can be traced back to originate from such an installation. In the Honda manuals it says afaik that they are not to be used inside of enclosures.
You take the risks completely yourself.
Be careful.
Old 14-06-2020, 10:57   #15

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

The sound of a running air cooled generator at night would displease anyone sharing the anchorage. That aside, you could place the generator in a dinghy tied aft, where heat, vibration, racket, exhaust gasses and fire potential would be external to the boat.
vpbarkley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, honda, work