Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2020, 13:18   #106

Boat: Hartley, South Seas ketch 12m
Re: Honda Portable Generator: Will This Work?

Portable generator (any brand) the only safe solution is on the OPEN deck. have a cover for it to protect from rain etc. Don't use it with the cover on! Great idea to have multiple co monitors but they will only be a monitor not a life saver. The alternative is a diesel generator in the engine room that is connected to the externally led exhaust system. Don't put a petrol fueled generator down there.
Old 19-06-2020, 13:25   #107

Boat: Com-Pac SunCat 17

When I was cruising in a Aux/sailboat that did not have a transon platform I put the Honda generator in the dinghy while at anchor. To be sound considerate I also would stay as far as possible from others anchored. I never felt that the generator would be stolen but I did have the dink cabled and locked to slow a thief down a bit.

Putting a non-marinized generator anywhere under the deck opens up too many hazards to even consider marginalizing. Put personal safety first and don’t take shortcuts. If you want a generator below, use a UL listed marine unit and if incapable, have it professionally installed and inspected by an ABYC tech. A human life is too highly valued to do otherwise. Live another day to enjoy that sunrise!
Bertinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 13:29   #108
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
And costs about 8x as much and weighs about 3x as much....
Regarding the Panda, I have read many, many tales of maintenance and repair problems. Also read from some owners that they loved the Panda and it was trouble free.

Considering the number of complaints I would steer clear of the Panda.

And like you, really wish someone would come up with a 2 kW diesel generator, maybe 2.5. That would be plenty to run my air conditioner on those occasional nights when the wind quits and the bugs come out.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 16:19   #109

Topic has likely been overdone, but if I may touch on a few points, please?

We used to have a gasoline powered Carver 3207 aft cabin motor yacht. Twin 220hp gasoline engines and a 2kW Oman gasoline marine genny. I’m also a professional fire protection engineer. Here’s my experience and perspective.

All equipment was professionally installed in engine room. We had CO detector and alarm in main salon and an LEL detector and alarm in engine room. Never ever run an enclosed genny without blowers, when boat is moving slow or at anchor. Diesel is a little more forgiving but not much.

Never, ever store propane tank inside anything. Leave tank strapped outside on deck or on swim platform. Propane is likely the most dangerous substance most of you will ever come into contact with. Similar to gasoline, the vapours are heavier than air and will settle in low areas, likely also near sources of ignition. The explosive vapour detector will warn of deadly accumulation of explosive vapours. If you have an alarm, you may only have seconds to shut everything off and do what you can to clear vapours. Interlocked electrical shut off is best but very expensive.

If running AC at night is so important, get a lot of deep cycle batteries and charge them with genny during the day or while cruising. Then run AC off an inverter.

I much rather be a bit sweaty at night while listening to the Gluck Gluck sound of the hull gently lapping on the water or listening to the sounds of nature than to genny while lying awake worrying about CO, LEL alarms, etc.

Larger vessels do run genies all night. Diesels, LEL detectors, blowers, genny inside a sound shield. Marine installation with full piped external exhaust. Some are underwater exhausts.

Safe but costly. Do it safe or don’t do it. Please
OwenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 16:29   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflectionsv37 View Post
Built in generators create lots of heat. They kind of defeat the purpose of an AC unit. You have an AC unit trying to cool the boat down while the generator is heating the boat up. I know 2 people who have removed their built in diesel gensets and mounted Honda generators for this specific reason. Not only is it easier to keep the boat cool, they also gained lots of extra storage space and eliminated a couple of thru-hulls.
They generate a huge amount of heat, that’s why it’s best to put them in an insulated box and suck air through the box and dump it overboard.
Most have water cooled engines, but most generators are air cooled.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 16:34   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The difference between a 2.5 kw generator and a 3.5 is insignificant, from a price perspective as well as size and weight.
Look at air conditioners for an example, about $1,500, but the 10, 12 and 16 KBTU are usually only about $100 apart.
My Nexgen 3.5 has a 6 KW generator head, my assumption is it’s like the airconditioner, not much difference in price to go smaller.

The Honda is so cheap I assume because they make them like popcorn, there are probably 100 Honda generators for every Marine genset made.
Old 19-06-2020, 16:41   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is a German Army I believe 2 or 3KW Hatz Diesel generator I bought back from Germany with me, neat little thing, started to with a crank by hand, weighed 100 Kg, 220 lbs. 20 lbs more than my Nexgen 3.5 that is electrically started.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	59285E5B-7423-4D42-B1F1-0A1AE86C6C73.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	437.7 KB
ID:	217724   Click image for larger version

Name:	5AF38FAC-6672-443A-8792-F97C52C63BD8.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	217726  

Old 19-06-2020, 18:54   #113

Boat: Schucker 436 1977 39’+

I dont know which Honda you are contemplating but-
I have no advice but i did have a Honda EU2000I.
It ran perfectly with the propane conversion.
Without an additional starter kit (which are available) the 2000 doesn't have the amps to start a small a/c
As far as running below deck it sounds complicated with the possibility of disaster.
BonesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 19:01   #114
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O

I realize I am coming late to the parade, and this subject has been beat to death here, and on many other boating forums. So much so that back in 2006 I wrote an article about it and published on my web site. Portable Generators on Boats; Pro and Con. https://newboatbuilders.com/docs/portable.pdf It pretty much sums it up.

I must say I was really glad that most people on this forum simply said don't!. I spent many years working in the Coast Guard Office of Boating Safety and this was a question that came up frequently and my frank answer was no you shouldn't. I spent too many years reading accident reports about people who died running their generator at night to keep cool, or were electrocuted because they didn't follow simple safety precautions, and the list of fires is almost endless.
Old 19-06-2020, 22:55   #115

Boat: Still building

There are small-ish air-cooled diesel gens around, but they are not light.

This one weighs 80kg compared to the (equivalent output) Honda 3.0is at 60kg.
Both of which are massive when compared to the honda eu2.2i at 21kg. For smaller boats, and especially multis that need to watch every kg, it's a no-brainer.

https://www.ablesales.com.au/diesel-...phase-new.html

https://powerequipment.honda.com.au/...t-details-list

https://powerequipment.honda.com.au/...t-details-list
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 23:14   #116

Boat: Bavaria C57

I bought 2Kw suitcase electric start generator with remote control start (petrol) and an exhaust manifold and through hull fitting for a diesel heater and was planning to install the generator in a locker behind our shower, the remote control start at the chart table and vent the gases through the exhaust fitting. Never did the installation but might be the answer. However, I do agree with the many safety concerns above. If you can go for a solar arch over the transom which I ended up doing giving me 800 watts. Enough for most things.
Haddock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 01:24   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augi View Post
Please tell me if this solution will work with a Honda Portable generator?

Please suggest improvements. primary concern is safety due to CO in exhaust. I will multiple CO detectors installed. If all hatches and companion are shut would you sleep with the generator running with generator installed as described below?

1. Place Generator in plastic storage(see link below).

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Plasti.../dp/B06X1853L6

2. Attached Fan at link below on inside of storage box where the large vents are

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...LFOCKWCW&psc=1

3. Secure storage box in lazerette locker

4. Cut hole and install vent at link below on outside of lazerette locker facing into cockpit.

https://www.boaterbits.ca/products/b...louvered-white

5. Run 8' exhaust extension(see link below) through top of hull abaft the port quarter(I think abaft the port or starboard quarter is better than astern because when at anchor with bow pointing into the wind there can be suction just astern that potentially can cause exhaust to come inboard).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...GM28NC48&psc=1

6. Run cord from generator output to shore power input

7. Power Honda Portable generator using propane from 20 lb propane tank(the kind you can exchange rather refill), that is inside lazerette secured next to Honda Portable Generator.

7. Alternatives to #1 to #2 above: are (A) Install fan on inside of lazerette where air vent to outside is located per #4 OR, (B) skip using storage box per #1 and install fan on inside of lazerette where air vent to outside is located per #4. Which of the three alternatives do you think is better?

https://youtu.be/RqkpH5-9xPY
Jeff the engineer and sailer says never use an unearthed generator on a yacht - which a Honda is not earthed

Just saying
Spyglass41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 05:52   #118

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyglass41 View Post
https://youtu.be/RqkpH5-9xPY
Jeff the engineer and sailer says never use an unearthed generator on a yacht - which a Honda is not earthed

Just saying
Oh, that will be news to lots of folk the world over. Also I get the impression from watching some of his other videos a while back they were aimed at selling stuff to the audience.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 06:45   #119

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesD View Post
I dont know which Honda you are contemplating but-

I have no advice but i did have a Honda EU2000I.

It ran perfectly with the propane conversion.

Without an additional starter kit (which are available) the 2000 doesn't have the amps to start a small a/c

As far as running below deck it sounds complicated with the possibility of disaster.

What are you calling a small AC? We start and run out 5kbtu AC and the throttle doesn’t even come out of ECO. There are others who start and run 16kbtu units with nothing more than a hard start capacitor.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 08:32   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
We don't expect you to do it, obviously you won't accept that cut in your comfort standards, but you don't want to spend the money for a proper genset installation. So why don't you just stay home where you can be comfy all the time?

Frankly, it is not that tough to live at anchor in the tropics without air conditioning. We've done it off and on for well over twenty years (for example, right now). In port we turn on the air conditioning. At anchor we use fans. And we're from Seattle, not good ole boys from the south.

Why when we can be comfy all the time on the boat? Of course, the implication is that you do expect us not stay comfortable.

If you are down in the trade winds, there is a bit of truth to what you say but even there it's not always true.

In the US southeast...there are lots of places where it's miserable not to be able to run the aircon. If you like to live in a sweatbox, more power to you.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, honda, work