Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2019, 11:00   #331

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Honda 2000 built in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Cruise View Post
Words of caution about using Honda Generators aboard boats. Please reconsider the use of this product aboard boats. They are inherently UNSAFE.
Welcome to CF

Please provide the evidence to support your theory because hundreds of cruisers are quite happily using these generators, all be it normally on deck so the exhaust isn't a problem.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 11:30   #332

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Agreed Pete, neither is Carbomonoxide when deck mounted, or in a separate box.
Btw, tons of raceboats had or might still have them on board...
Old 28-12-2019, 12:04   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Cruise View Post
Words of caution about using Honda Generators aboard boats. Please reconsider the use of this product aboard boats. They are inherently UNSAFE. Both electrically and physically. The carbon monoxide issue may be very difficult, if not impossible to mitigate. The electrical issue is dangerous as well. They are not designed to be used aboard boats. Contact Honda and you will and learn they DO NOT support the use of their generators in a marine environment. My friend, Jim Healy, is very knowledgeable about all things electrical in a marine environment. He has a web site which explains these issues very clearly. He also writes about electrical issues for the MTOA, Marine Trawler Owners Association. If any would like to have a link to his article about this issue please contact me directly.
The fact that this product is inexpensive does not mean you should risk your life just to save a few dollars.
Paul Weakley email: pwseapa45@gmail.com
Sorry, I respect Your opinion but Your statements are not acceptable. If they are based on a friends friend get a copy or have him post his opinion. here for examination. I will be very happy to learn something new.

> The fact that this product is inexpensive does not mean you should risk your life just to save a few dollars.

The facts You can find reading.

This Thread is not about money.

It is also not about looking for disadvantages. After 23 pages we read them all and are very well aware.
It is all about being creative and trying to find solutions for those disadvantages and exploring the limits.

Do You You have a PORTABLE 2000 W @ 47 LBS Weight Solution ?
Old 28-12-2019, 12:31   #334
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Pablo C.

Jim Healy’s article “Portable Generators – NOT For Boats”
https://gilwellbear.wordpress.com/20...not-for-boats/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 12:44   #335
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Any portable generator is inherently an unsafe device. Whether used on a boat or not, but using one on a boat likely adds to it being even more unsafe.
They are designed to be used well away from living spaces and out in the open where CO isn’t going to do any harm and even if they did catch fire it’s not likely to hurt much assuming you can put out the ensuing grass fire etc.

https://www.cpsc.gov/safety-educatio...onoxide-deaths

Just in case you thought just the Honda’s leaked gas and caught fire
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2019/ya...s-recall-alert

People that use them safely on boats do so because they know and understand the dangers and do things to mitigate them like CO detectors and keep them downwind etc., and hopefully have a good fire extinguisher close by, but not too close.

I use one too, but realize it’s like having a pet snake, you can’t trust it.
My fire plan is to a great extent to shove the burning thing into the water with a boat hook. So I run mine where it would be easy to push in, and won’t tie it in place.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 12:49   #336

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

https://danboater.org/travel-health-...-act-fast.html
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 13:35   #337

Someone asked that I provide evidence to support my message that Honda generators are not safe on boats. I am not smart enough to attach a link to Jim Healy’s article. However, for those who have an interest in reading it it can be found at “https://gilwellbear.wordpress.com”. Look for the article titled “Portable Generators Not For Boats”.
The fact that many boaters use such equipment on their boats does not make them safe. Many of us do things that aren’t safe. So, you pay your money and take your chances. Good luck.
Pablo Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 15:10   #338

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If you Google Honda generator recall, you’ll find this
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2019/am...d-burn-hazards

If you continue looking you’ll find over time there have been quite a few recalls about fuel leakage

Seems there have been three recalls due to fuel leakage since 2012 of the whole portable generator line.
https://powerequipment.honda.com/sup...ls-and-updates
Definitely worth to run GEN for a while to make sure everything is like it is supposed to run.
IMO the carburetor and fuel quality are the weakest part.
I think a fuel filter is a good idear when using a bigger tank
No matter what You do the Gasoline/Ethanol Blends will suck moisture
__________________________________________________ _________________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

I read a totally negative one sided opinion about portable generators based on improper ground connecting, handling and safety precautions with further reference to fuel system risks that we already covered with the respective options and reference to exhaust gases that exist on a million of gas powered boats..The introduction starts with......

"Not all" portable generators have
Electrically, "some" come fit with
"Some" come fit with GFCI
They come in an array of size and power capabilities, fuel capacities and starting options.

So at the end he makes reference to all

In general nothing new that was not already addressed.
Further more till now we are exploring options but do not have final conclusions yet..

So for my part I will put this article in the list of negative opinions with the difference the style it was written. I don´t like it when somebody needs to use animals and children in technical articles to get readers attention.

Now if he is such an expert on the topic of faulty ground connections and soooooo concerned he should have shared some of his wisdom about options to solve this problem but he did not.

As a neutral writer about portable generators he should also write about the facts that those portable generators are absolutely loved by boaters for all kinds of applications and that some boaters with Diesel Gens even keep them on board as a last resort but he ignored the reality.
But he is not neutral.

Furthermore in his final words he should point out the requirement and needs of boaters that are begging for a similar product by the industrie to take care of this situation which was not created by boaters.
It was caused by the industrie not recognizing the need of a small portable generator. That reality is a fact. Once this product exists there will be no problem with all the institutions writing there respective documents.
But he did not mention anything about that.

So whom is he writing for ?
All the boaters that swear on their Diesel Generator ?
Or maybe we don´t need a generator on board at all ?

Yeah, just another one causing problems, nurturing on a list of popular opinions and filling pages in the way of progress to resolve the problem.

With this attitude we would still sit in a cave knocking the stones to make the fire.
Well, maybe he reads CF and has something POSITIVE to add on to our Honda Odyssey. I have no problem to say I am sorry.

My opinion after participating active on 23 pages exploring options for....

Portable Honda 2000 W @ 47 Lbs BUILT IN
Old 28-12-2019, 15:29   #339

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Any portable generator is inherently an unsafe device. Whether used on a boat or not, but using one on a boat likely adds to it being even more unsafe.

I use one too, but realize it’s like having a pet snake, you can’t trust it.
My fire plan is to a great extent to shove the burning thing into the water with a boat hook. So I run mine where it would be easy to push in, and won’t tie it in place.
NOT electrically hardwired, fuel plumbed, hard mounted and that You can not take at any given time of the boat.

Hahaha, with one exception...... How about running the snake on a leash
Add a chain. This way You won´t think that long and throw it over board much faster.
Yes serious.... with a portable Gen You get rid of the problem.
With a bolted Gen You are fighting the fire with a fire extinguisher
Old 28-12-2019, 15:36   #340
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Jim Healy didn't ignore the reality that boaters (mis)use portable generators.
He described some reasons he feels one shouldn't.

IE:
"Summary
Moving on from theory to reality, big numbers of people do use portable generators on boats, and they mostly get away with it. The vast majority of them get away with it through blind luck. All of these scenarios require multiple simultaneous failures for the real risks to actually be realized. But none of these risks are present with a permanent generator installed to ABYC standards. To quote the title character in the 1971 movie, Dirty Harry, “do you feel lucky? Well, do you…..?” Well, do you?
There is a reason portable generators are less expensive than made-for-purpose marine generators. Portable generators are not intended for use on boats. They do not meet marine standards. Manufacturers state that these products do not meet electrical codes. They are not warranted for use on boats. No acknowledged boating safety expert or organization suggests, recommends of approves their use on boats. Knowing these facts, we are all left do whatever we think is best."

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 16:06   #341
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

This thread has gone well past its intended at inception
If they want to try for a darwin award let them
Old 28-12-2019, 16:42   #342

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
This thread has gone well past its intended at inception
If they want to try for a darwin award let them
I agree. Makes no sense wasting time with how good or how bad the Honda 2000 or this built in idea is.
I am burnt out on that.

Will try to come up with a wrap up of content based on facts and realities for clear sight of Stage 3
Old 28-12-2019, 17:12   #343

Boat: Tartan 40
Honda 2000 built in.

So great that the consensus opinion is just go cheap and make me listen to your hammering Honda so you can run your AC. And run risk of gasoline/CO fumes and leakage. And better yet do some McGyver below decks installation to add to this risk?
If you want a genset to run more often just get a good quality diesel one- northern lights or similar 1800 RPM model for continuous use or Nextgen 5.5 like I have which runs 2800 RPM for intermittent use. All anyone else can hear around me is slight exhaust gurgle. Safe. Marine. No CO.

honestly this isn’t the place to go cheap...
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 17:46   #344

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

One of the main reasons that I bought an electric outboard was to get rid of the need for any petrol on the boat. Petrol is dangerous, explosive stuff.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 18:30   #345
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
So great that the consensus opinion is just go cheap and make me listen to your hammering Honda so you can run your AC. And run risk of gasoline/CO fumes and leakage. And better yet do some McGyver below decks installation to add to this risk?
If you want a genset to run more often just get a good quality diesel one- northern lights or similar 1800 RPM model for continuous use or Nextgen 5.5 like I have which runs 2800 RPM for intermittent use. All anyone else can hear around me is slight exhaust gurgle. Safe. Marine. No CO.

honestly this isn’t the place to go cheap...

Slight exhaust gurgle and your diesel fumes infiltrating the boats downwind of you. A little common sense and decency next time you fire up your stinkpot with other boats downwind.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, honda